Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Illusionary Warmth

ArturS
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Illusionary Warmth

Congratulations to ArturS for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 60 votes - View Previous Winners

Early morning, high in the mountains. I was outside my tent taking photos of the spectacular sunrise. It was getting warmer just by looking at the sky. But it was just the illusion, it was around -15 Celsius and frost was bitting. Using longer focal length I was able to isolate this mountain landscape illuminated by glow in the sky.

D800 with 24-70mm@70mm
1/250 sec
f 5/6
ISO 400
Lightroom adjustments mostly with very little photoshop.

Enjoy

500px

Illusionary Warmth

Edited on Dec 21, 2013 at 06:25 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Illusionary Warmth

What an amazing way to start the day!

Dec 18, 2013 at 06:32 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Illusionary Warmth

Hey Artur,

That is a very cool looking sky, and I agree with Scott, what a great way to start your day. Nice work here with this.

One thought about your comment about very little Photoshop on this. What I have found and others have commented on in here also, is that with the power of the adjustments now in ACR a lot less work needs to be done in Photoshop anymore. Plus, Lightroom itself isn't that much different than Photoshop anymore either. In fact a lot of photographers have stopped using Photoshop all together and just use Lightroom, at least Adobe markets Lightroom as the Photographers tool and not Photoshop.

All of that to say in regards to your comment about most of the work being done in Lightroom and not much done in Photoshop, really doesn't mean much. Since so much can be done now in ACR and Lightroom. For me, it doesn't really matter, if someone spends 5 minutes editing a shot in whatever program they chose to use, or 5 hours to edit that shot, as long as it looks natural and has visual interest, that's all that's really important.

Just a few thoughts....

Jim

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:51 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Illusionary Warmth

Absolutely beautiful. You've handled this scene very well, and it looks very natural. Well done!

Dec 18, 2013 at 03:26 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Illusionary Warmth

Gorgeous shot. I don't even like breathing air that cold.

Dec 18, 2013 at 03:27 PM
parsons
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Illusionary Warmth

nice image.
but, my mind is asking why there is very little colour on the snow, given the amazing vibrancy of the sky, the snows ability to reflect light, it seems too cool for me. just a thought

Dec 18, 2013 at 05:57 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #7 · Illusionary Warmth

Very nice capture. The cool blue of the snow contrasts well with the warmth of the sun.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM
bktools
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Illusionary Warmth

Absolutely magnificent, brilliant capture.

Bob

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.1 #9 · Illusionary Warmth

I like the contrasting tones. Very nice!

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM
ArturS
• •
p.1 #10 · Illusionary Warmth

Thank you all for such warm reply.

Jim,
I agree about power of ACR. Adjustments in Lightroom are amazing this days. I also would add that RAW adjustment are the most important part in post processing. But, Lightroom has its limitations and I use Photoshop for every photo that I want to post online or print. What I meant in case of this photo was that yes I used Photoshop not necessarily for adjustment but other tools and techniques. If someone has any questions what tools, techniques were used in case of this photo (or other), you are welcome to contact me (arturstanisz@gmail.com). I teach post processing and I would be happy to share and help others.

Parsons,
The colour in the sky was happening only as high as you can see in this photo. Above that was just blue sky. Most of the mountains were in the shade. Only a few parts that were exposed to the reflection ( you can see them in the centre of the photo) and have nice glow of colors.

Thanks for comments and liking my photos.

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Illusionary Warmth

Ben Horne wrote:
Absolutely beautiful. You've handled this scene very well, and it looks very natural. Well done!

What Ben said.
A great warm/cold scene!

Thanks for posting

Dan

Dec 19, 2013 at 01:04 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • •
p.1 #12 · Illusionary Warmth

Lovely light, lovely scene, lovely composition.

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:50 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Illusionary Warmth

parsons wrote:
nice image.
but, my mind is asking why there is very little colour on the snow, given the amazing vibrancy of the sky, the snows ability to reflect light, it seems too cool for me. just a thought

Hey Artur, I agree with what Simon says here, I did notice the same thing, but for me it just works with the contrast.

As for me, I don't use Lightroom at all, I see no reason for it. I switched to using ACR as my raw converter a year or so ago, so now all of my processing is done in ACR & Photoshop CS6.

Jim

Dec 19, 2013 at 07:12 AM
wayne_eddy
• •
p.1 #14 · Illusionary Warmth

Temendous light management and composition here.

Really nice image from a really nice lens I hope to have in my possession in the coming months.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM
wayne_eddy
• •
p.1 #15 · Illusionary Warmth

parsons wrote:
nice image.

On my second look, I'd agree with that. The snow is a little cool for the sky.

Still, it's a nice image.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Illusionary Warmth

I had a few more thoughts while viewing this photo. I absolutely love the colors, exposure, and how you have handled the processing. I think it might need a bit of rotation though. If you look at the really distant clouds, they really should be parallel with the horizon, yet there are three layers of clouds that all lean a bit CW all to the same amount. It's difficult composing shots like this sometimes because of all the strong foreground lines that throw off a sense of level, and also the clouds near the top of the frame feel very level, but it's those three layers of clouds in the distance that all slope the same degree, and I suspect they are an indication of true level. Did you use any assistance to level this shot (built in level, or bubble level)?

Dec 19, 2013 at 04:16 PM
ArturS
• •
p.1 #17 · Illusionary Warmth

Ben, I have to say you have a very good eye. Thanks for your input. I did rotate image intentionally to level the mountains (the one on the right was closer and appeared bigger in the photo). I wasn't sure about rotation from the very beginning and I was wandering if anybody else would notice. Cheers to you . I will definitely fix that before printing.
As far as snow being to "cool", I like it the way it is but I try to warm it up just a little.
Thanks again

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Illusionary Warmth

wonderful

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Illusionary Warmth

ArturS wrote:
Ben, I have to say you have a very good eye. Thanks for your input. I did rotate image intentionally to level the mountains (the one on the right was closer and appeared bigger in the photo). I wasn't sure about rotation from the very beginning and I was wandering if anybody else would notice. Cheers to you . I will definitely fix that before printing.
As far as snow being to "cool", I like it the way it is but I try to warm it up just a little.
Thanks again

I'd be curious to see it without the rotation. I think once you get those clouds level, it will give it a more calm feeling, and that will outweigh any issues with the mountain placement. On another note, I think your blues in the snow are spot on. I love the color contrast, and it looks very natural to my eye.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
ArturS
• •
p.1 #20 · Illusionary Warmth

Ben,
I uploaded second image without rotation to compare. Now when I look at this again I think that rotation was not necessary. Thanks for your valuable and honest comment.

Dec 20, 2013 at 02:38 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password