New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome. 3 from today, with a fourth still being edited.

The rest of the series and explanation here:
http://bainesphoto.com/index.php?/color/military/

http://www.evanbaines.com/fredmiranda/mil-1.jpg

http://www.evanbaines.com/fredmiranda/mil-2.jpg

http://www.evanbaines.com/fredmiranda/mil-3.jpg

4. These two officers (PHS and Navy) founded an arts society at our school, and wanted a shot together.
http://www.evanbaines.com/fredmiranda/mil-4.jpg

Dec 17, 2013 at 05:17 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

nice B&W portraits

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:39 AM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

I always like your depth, and placement of shadows.

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:47 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

Another terrific series.

My only nit would be to burn down his left ear slightly on #1.

Dec 18, 2013 at 08:56 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

Hello again Evan, thanks for posting yet another powerful series of beautiful proud portraits. My overall favourite is #3, although #2 appears to be quite similar at first glance here are the details in my view that make me like #3 more than #2:

First the body position in #3 is more straight which i believe gives more pride and prestance to the model, second in both pictures i love the way you added a table that gives support to the forward hand. But in #2 with the body angled this way the subject looks more like he's leaning at a bar ordering a beer or something especially since his other hand seems really like it's diving in his pocket. In that respect in my opinion #3 because of the more straight body position and the right hand seemingly not as boldly going in the pocket looks more official, more classic or less casual if you will. Also i much prefer the positioning of the background light in #3 it looks a bit higher and keeps the lower corners darker as opposed to the corners in #2 that are lighter and attracts my eye more. The said table appears also more straight in #3 and i find it more pleasing to the eye, in fact the table in #2 looks to be in 2 separate parts higher on the left of the picture and lower on the right. Because of all this the back light really surrounds perfectly the body and the body only really giving the nice subtle separation between background and subject. The devil is in the details right ? and you got me so hooked with this style of portraiture now, i can really see and appreciate those nice subtleties .

Lastly (i saved the best for last) since you have taught me the difference between broad and short lighting i can see that #3 is a short lighting set up as opposed to a broad one in #2, Frankly i really prefer the short light, seems to me everything is a little better with this light. It is more subtle, more flattering for the model and even the buttons on the uniform come out better, they really pop out without being hot spots.

I guess i'm trying to say that i can see more the light set up in#2, the flashes seem more obvious while on #3 it's quite the opposite the model seems to be lit from all around making the positioning of the light less obvious. In fact the portrait is so damm good i don't even try to figure out how it is lit.

If i had to put scores on the 2 pictures i'd give 100% for #3 and 97% for #2, yeah that's how good they are. I simply enumerated the very personal reasons i prefer #3.

Wish i could achieve this level of control.

Bravo Evan :-)

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:12 AM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

They're great, but you knew that. Here are my quick, knee-jerk perceptions. Hopefully they are of more use to you than accolades.

1. He looks tired. And a bit condescending.
2. and 3. The arm placement is really throwing me off. Such a formal, almost outdated, pose (from my perspective anyway) with otherwise genuine and engaging expressions. I feel like #3 should almost have his hands in his pockets, he has such a friendly and laid-back expression.
4. Very nice, I like how the background light is just enough to do its job.

Again, only my own opinions. FWIW

Dec 18, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback!

Doug: I addressed that ear issue you mentioned in the final version posted to my site, along with lightening a few of the shadows a touch.

Ray: I think your critique of 3 vs 2 is particularly on point.

Bryan: Thanks for your impressions of the shots! One piece of information that may help explain some of my choices is that Navy and PHS uniforms have the rank and branch insignia on the jacket cuff. Hands in pockets are not permitted in uniform. Therefore, one of the unique challenges of Navy studio portraits is to find excuses to get the arms bent and to show the rank/branch. The official portraits are done at a table for just this reason. I didn't feel that this was as important for shot 4, but for the individual shots I'm still working to find a variety of posing methodologies that address this practical issue. This is not as much of a concern on Army and Air Force portraits, where the rank and branch are indicated elsewhere.

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:19 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

Have any enlisted personnel?

Would love to see those has well

Great Tones

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:39 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

Jojo: the enlisted are too busy doing actual work.

J/k... Kinda. We are officer-heavy where I am currently, but I am definitely working on it!

Dec 19, 2013 at 06:46 AM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

So when you mention the cuff, I thought of James Bond. In the movies they are usually trying to find ways to highlight his watch (product placement) or cufflinks. I am sure that variations on these poses would not fly (float?) as the "official" portrait, but it may be worth a look. FWIW

Dec 19, 2013 at 07:44 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A Few More Portraits of Service Members

Ahh i understand now the reason behind the decision to place the hand this way. makes perfect sense to show the rank the officers undoubtably worked very hard for. I didn't think of that since for us on the police force ranks are on the shoulders and medals of course pinned to the chest.

At the risk of repeating myself your posting of your work is very precious to me (and to others i suspect) for it makes me think more about the details and allows me to go through everything in my head before i start shooting portraits. In short i learn something every time i look at your work and i find it to be time well spent.

thanks for sharing so much with us Evan :-)

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.