New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

galenapass
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

Like many on this board (and on the Canon board as well) I am pretty excited about the new full frame Sonys that have recently been released. I have cash to buy either right now. However, the more I look at images posed here, and elsewhere, I just don't see the the A7(r) producing the kind of "magic" that the RX1(r) produces (except for a few shots that wfrank has posted with his A7). Is anyone else seeing the same thing or do you think it is just my imagination? Obviously the main factor here is the lens used, as the A7 and RX1 sensors must be reasonably close.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

Judging strictly by the images posted on this board...

I agree with you. Nothing I've seen from the A7(r) has blown me away like photos from the Rx1(r) have. I'm not sure what it is...

My theory is that while both cameras have amazing sensors, the Zeiss 35/2 that's permanently attached to the front of the RX1 is something special that matches perfectly with its sensor...thus creating the "magic".

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

Magic is an accessory that is sold separately.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

I agree, it's the 35/2 Sonnar matched to the sensor. Amazing.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

galenapass wrote:
Obviously the main factor here is the lens used, as the A7 and RX1 sensors must be reasonably close.

Obviously, the main factor is the goofball behind the camera.

I suspect folks just have to get used to new equipment - including PP and so on.

Of course, being an RX1 user, I'm bias to say nothing compares to the RX1 lens at 35mm's perfectly matched to the sensor.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

The problem is folks are excited about their new camera and its "universal" mount. They just slapped whatever lens/lenses they can get on it to take more like snapshots. If I remembered correctly, Nikon suggested selected lenses for their D800/e camera to take advantage of the 36MP sensor. Plus, care has to be exercised in capturing images using a 36MP camera. Yes, the accessory Adam is referring to is the person behind it .

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

The RX1(r) is very compelling but IMHO you're stuck with this one focal length and I have seen serious CA (LOCA) with the lens.

I will give up speed and resolution for less CA but haven't yet bought the 35mm 2.8. I do have 55 1.8 on backorder though.

A big advantage of the RX1 is that the sensor may stay debris free longer as a sealed system than an A7.

All of my lens testing and swaps mean I have already had to do a light cleaning on my A7r only 4 days in.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

I have to say that I have never seen any notable CA with my RX1, certainly not severe Longitudinal CA. Don't know if there is sample variation from lens to lens or RX1 vs RX1r but I have been pleasantly surprised (and this is with all lens corrections set to off). If you want to see CA and particularly LoCA, the ZF 35/2 is your lens.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

I agree that obviously a big factor is the person behind the camera, but, looking through the RX1(r) thread - there are a lot of shots with a special "look" to them from various photographers. Some shots really are not that interesting, if it were not for the RX1(r) "look".

There was a thread that basically asked the question "what is the 35mm lens that can achieve performance comparable to the RX1 35mm lens?" I have not gone back to that original thread to read all the posts but the initial 3 pages did not come to any consensus as far as I could tell.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

Its been a year now from when I first got my RX1 and the magic and high IQ still amaze and please me. Only gear which got me excited was the new Otus 55/1.4 on my D800E. That lens would be too heavy on A7 IMHO.
Glad you like the images in RX1 thread. Less volume, higher quality images was my hope and goal for that thread.

Edited on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

I think I could live with a single FL if it got me the type of image quality that I see on that thread (I have lots of other gear as well). It would be nice, however, to get something similar on an A7 and still have the convenience of being able to change lenses!

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

galenapass wrote:
I agree that obviously a big factor is the person behind the camera, but, looking through the RX1(r) thread - there are a lot of shots with a special "look" to them from various photographers. Some shots really are not that interesting, if it were not for the RX1(r) "look".

There was a thread that basically asked the question "what is the 35mm lens that can achieve performance comparable to the RX1 35mm lens?" I have not gone back to that original thread to read all the posts but the initial 3 pages did not come to any consensus as
...Show more

Yeah, I don't think there is currently a 35mm interchangeable lens that can match the RX1 fixed lens camera.
Sony themselves have stated in interviews with the RX1 design team that that level of precision and image quality is only acheivable in a matched, fixed lens/ sensor camera (and not possible with an interchangeable system due to the loss of precision incurred with the looser/lower tolerances required for an ILC).

Edited on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

That's what I thought. I may just pick up an RX1 instead. The 35mm FL is great for many venues and some stitching would yield good landscapes as well.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

It's also about the bokeh for me. I've never seen another 35mm lens with such smooth bokeh (and I owned quite a few). It almost looks like the bokeh from a longer lens. Some like it, some don't.

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:58 PM
photomadnz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

My thoughts exactly... http://blog.proimagenz.com/

Dec 17, 2013 at 02:34 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, I don't think there is currently a 35mm interchangeable lens that can match the RX1 fixed lens camera.
Sony themselves have stated in interviews with the RX1 design team that that level of precision and image quality is only acheivable in a matched, fixed lens/ sensor camera (and not possible with an interchangeable system due to the loss of precision incurred with the looser/lower tolerances required for an ILC).

Lloyd is gaga on the 35 2,8 on a7r but there is crazy bokeh at times

Dec 17, 2013 at 02:37 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

MaxBerlin wrote:
Lloyd is gaga on the 35 2,8 on a7r but there is crazy bokeh at times

Yeah, plus it won't be as sharp across the frame at wide aperture, and it is slower.

Dec 17, 2013 at 03:10 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

The RX1 Sonnar 35/2 is likely to be the best 35mm available, for all these reasons. So we are talking lenses here rather than images as such. Resale value remains strong.

There is little to dislike about the FE 35/2.8 however, and teamed with the a7r, the monster resolution (which Roger reported on yesterday) had Brian Smith saying it was 'very close' to the RX1 image quality.

Here is a chilling thought - it may be one of the weaker lenses in the FE lineup, being designed clearly with minimal bulk and weight in mind to fully convey the m43 size and weight of the a7 series.

You will not see many superlative a7(r) images just yet. Most of Europe/US is deep in winter, people are still simply shooting images to arrange their workflows. You can get a fix from getdpi/sony forum which is much more active at present than FM Alt:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49391-fun-a7-7r.html

It's hard to find a non-a7r thread there, which is what happens with a dedicated Sony forum - lots more action.

Dec 17, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

philip_pj wrote:
You will not see many superlative a7(r) images just yet. Most of Europe/US is deep in winter, people are still simply shooting images to arrange their workflows. You can get a fix from getdpi/sony forum which is much more active at present than FM Alt:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49391-fun-a7-7r.html

It's hard to find a non-a7r thread there, which is what happens with a dedicated Sony forum - lots more action.

do you think we have a lack of A7(r) threads?

Dec 17, 2013 at 05:06 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7(r) vs RX1(r) question

I see that image thread is expanding fast now!

Dec 17, 2013 at 05:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.