Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Joy! for him, not so much.

BooBug

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Joy! for him, not so much.

my first attempt at shooting Christmas lights at night.
It was a challenge trying to keep Balto still enough that he'd be in focus.
{and keep the hat on his head}
no extra lights, just the street lights and the tree.
I shot in bulb mode.
out of 150 tries, this is the only one that is a maybe.
funnily enough, it was the very last one. Ha!

hope you enjoy,
Stephanie

are we done yet?

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Richard Booth
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Joy! for him, not so much.

Stephanie:
After 150 hits, you should have had a comment by now. Tough to break in sometimes. This is nice and would make a great Christmas card. Only comment, if you're asking for any, would be in the white balance. I would get the pinkish tone off the snow in front of Balto which should also bring the Santa hat into a brighter white. Maybe a little dodge on his face to bring out the details. Keep posting and Merry Christmas.

Richard

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:49 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Joy! for him, not so much.

The blown highlights in the lights bother me. Lots of light coming from that back left corner. FWIW

Dec 17, 2013 at 03:34 PM
BooBug

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Joy! for him, not so much.

thanks for your comment Richard .
yes, I'll re work the post process and see what I come up with. I agree it would look nicer without the pinkish tone.
His face may not have much detail, i'm afraid, couldn't dee very good in the dark to find my focus point.

Thanks Bryan, and yes, i see what you mean. I was guessing at the time to keep the shutter open. i'll definitely get out there and keep trying, while everyone's Christmas lights are still up. hopefully on a warmer night than last night. .

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:45 PM
BooBug

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Joy! for him, not so much.

I'm afraid I can't help the blown lights very much but I got rid of my boot hole in the snow and took most of the pink out. also tried processing another shot from that same evening.

another try at fixing

a different setting

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Kialya

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Joy! for him, not so much.

bryanlindsey wrote:
The blown highlights in the lights bother me. Lots of light coming from that back left corner. FWIW

+1

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:09 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Joy! for him, not so much.

It's a nice shot Stephanie, and I think you made a good compromise in exposure between the boy and the BG lights. Had you refused all over-exposure in the BG elements, he would be a blob of black.

There really are only two possible solutions for dealing with such vastly different exposure requirements, and even they will not be easy given Balto's very dark face against the white snow.

1) Add fill light, probably through off-camera flash, but try to direct the light preferentially to his face and body and less to the snow. Even then, getting the ratio of subject light and background light isn't simple, the trouble of exposing the snow notwithstanding. Here is a recent discussion in the Lighting forum that addresses using strobes in combination with small twinkly background lights to achieve a common holiday look:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1256667/0?keyword=christmas#11961743

2) Make separate exposures, each exposure optimized for the elements they are capturing, and blend them subsequently in PS. Balto will need his own exposure; the BG highlights their own, and possibly the snow its own. Working with a stationary camera helps, but isn't essential.

As for the color cast on the foreground snow, it's really an artistic choice to leave it or not. Magenta snow isn't wrong, as I see it, when the context is the one you have here. Getting rid of the cast, providing you wanted to, won't be as simple as white balancing the entire scene to the snow, thereby rendering the snow neutral gray, because the light in a shot like this is inevitably mixed. When light is as skewed as it may be when there are prominent colors incident on a subject, you're stuck shooting a color chart placed at the area of *interest*. Were I striving for correct color registration and WB on Balto's face, for example, I'd place a Passport Color Checker at his face, shoot it at a representative exposure, and generate a DNG profile from that shot. You can then white balance to the chart's grey tones, and impose the custom profile you just made. That will render Balto *correctly*, but the rest of your image will probably need other color work because regional light will vary so much.

Adobe's free DNG profile editor is what I use to do this, but there are other options like the Passport Color Checker software. Here's the Adobe DNG editor for Mac:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5493

Thanks for chiming in with Balto. Love that boy.

John-

Dec 19, 2013 at 01:39 PM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Joy! for him, not so much.

Hi -
You are working with a very hard one - Keep doing - That is a great way to learn - Perhaps a higher ISO would have helped - Allowed a faster shutter, and not have gotten so cold - I Like -
Paul

Dec 20, 2013 at 06:56 AM
BooBug

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Joy! for him, not so much.

John, Thank you, I so appreciate your input. I think, next time I will try you idea of blending the separate exposures. The toughest part about this whole shoot was keeping Balto still. In some of my shots, the shutter was open for nearly 20 seconds. If he moved at all, it was blurred.
I might try and bribe a friend to come out in the cold with me, next time, to try out the color checker next to his face.
That'll be fun to learn.
Thank you Paul, I see in John's link that they also bumped up the ISO. I kept the ISO low in these, so that will be something I will try, also.
anyone want to join me for hot chocolate and Bailey's, afterward? :o)

Dec 20, 2013 at 07:14 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.