New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · trying again

DianeinCR
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · trying again

Trying again to improve my backyard shots. Put out some seed a bit closer to me, and away from distractions (branches). Then I settled in to wait and enjoy a good cup of coffee.

Looking for more C&C. Thanks.
Diane

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-cVAJqMGQZmE/Uq_G8QBIKaI/AAAAAAAAALk/ULU6sLjUkko/w800-h480-no/IMG_5800dfm.jpg
photo 1

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yHKAJTmYSE0/Uq_G8fb4J-I/AAAAAAAAALs/_lTepJAwtiU/w775-h554-no/IMG_5837dfm.jpg
photo 2

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-klXpBDtLycU/Uq_G925oqbI/AAAAAAAAAL0/DaQVSkJChfw/w800-h480-no/IMG_5861dfm.jpg
photo 3

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Lq_i1CoVcsc/Uq_G8T8firI/AAAAAAAAAL8/4EGjoJClCE0/w800-h534-no/IMG_5829dfm.jpg
photo 4

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · trying again

Seems like you have a nice setup to work with.
From a composition POV, I think the third is your best. Few extraneous elements, full body of the bird, head parallel to sensor (not necessary, but one way to yield nice profile images). Upper left corner darkness could be cloned away. I assume you ended with this crop mindful of distracting elements. Ideally a bit taller on the top might feel a bit more balanced. #1 has an odd head angle, dark band behind/"through" the head. #2 is better, but again a dark object detracts. I like the idea of #4 but it would be better with more of the bodies in the image or a more symmetrical crop of the birds, ideally with them closer and both head angled in a similar way.
Technically, you have an excellent lens with nice sharpness despite slow shutter speed. I dont know which body you have, but consider moving ISO up to 800 or so, shooting closer to 1/400s or faster. You could use more light on the birds, but you can still improve with tweaking white point/exposure in post-processing opening shadows a tad, and a bit more sharpening.
Below is a quick rework of the third, just showing adjustments to exposure, white point, blacks/shadows and a touch of curves and sharpening.

Scott

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:32 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · trying again

Thank you Scott. Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I'll get working on your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

My body is a Canon 60D. I'm borrowing lenses.

Again, thank you for thoughtful feedback.

Dec 17, 2013 at 02:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · trying again

+1 @ much of Scott ... particularly the ISO vs. shutter speed. These are surprisingly sharp (using IS or tripod) for 1/50 through a 2X in such soft light ... even though they could benefit from more sharpening in post (to taste as always).

Took a stab at the second one ... diggin' the relationship between the jay and the feeder, almost like they're having an adult-child conversation at the dinner table.

Dec 17, 2013 at 02:50 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · trying again

WOW, what a difference both you (RustyBug and Scott) have made in your PP of my images! I am aware of the exposure, white point, blacks/shadows tools. I am lost as to what you mean about "a touch of curves". I did click the sharpen and sharpen edges option. I would really like to know how you went about sharpening the image...if you don't mind sharing?

Scott, I have adjusted my settings and will see how they work for me. Today I have a head cold and and not loving looking through a lens, so will try that soon.

RustyBug, I enjoy that interaction at the feeder too.

Thanks again!
Diane

Dec 18, 2013 at 01:51 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · trying again

What program(s) do you have for post processing?

Dec 18, 2013 at 02:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · trying again

Biggest problem here is the unfortunate dull light. Using fill flash could help, but it's tricky to do with long distance images.

Dec 18, 2013 at 03:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · trying again

AuntiPode wrote:
Biggest problem here is the unfortunate dull light. Using fill flash could help, but it's tricky to do with long distance images.

And trickier if if shooting through a glass door.
For those into the bird thingy, a Better Beamer is an inexpensive solution. A simple Fresnel lens strapped in front of a flash sitting in the hot shoe, held in place by Velcro. Throws a focused beam of light a good 20-50 feet, usually to add just a bit of fill flash for birds in the branches or where the light aint where it should be.

Scott

Dec 18, 2013 at 03:37 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · trying again

I'm working at learning Adobe Photoshop CC...also have access to Photoshop CS5 Extended version and Adobe Lightroom 3.6.

Thanks for the lighting tips as well!

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:02 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · trying again

Kudos for your patience and your persistence! I find bluejays one of the tougher birds to photograph -- the slightest movement and they're outta there. Somehow you need to get more light onto the birds' faces. Perhaps just wait for different weather; I have and use a Better Beamer (they're not expensive), but through a window/door that will be difficult; or set your camera to compensate up a stop or so (experiment for what works best). You can always tone the bird down in post processing. Any of those or perhaps a combination will help.

Keep at it, and let us see some more.
Keith

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:12 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · trying again

If you dont own any books on processing, Kelby's books are basic, clear, cookbook instructions.
Also consider searching for free tutorials on curves.
There is one at cambridgeincolour.com; another at lumimouslandscape.com and probably many, many more.
Curves panel is in LR or access as an adjustment layer in PS.
If you are planning on expanding your PS skills, and to a lesser degree with LR which is more intuitive, consider online classes at lynda.com or thru kelbytraining.com. I know Lynda better. Huge number of tutorials at all levels with teaching by various instructors with different teaching styles. I particularly like Julieanne Kost. There are also some free tutorials through tv.adobe.com, probably a good starting point.
Scott

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · trying again

+1 @ Scott, others and pragmatic resources ... even though I went a different route at more technical, dull, boring, route with Dan Margulis books, followed by Schewe (sharpening) and Photoshop Chops (layer masks)

Karen kept tantalizing me a few years back with layers until I finally buckled down to commit to learning what they were and then how to use them better. Many ways to skin the cat and many ways to learn how to do so ... just depends on how much practical vs. theory you want to embrace ... I'm a theory kinda guy, I wanna know why before I learn how. Most folks just want to get right at it ... Kelby style, etc.

In either regard, I think we all start somewhere and then drift into our own sense of direction that we want to go ... it's all good, we just take diff paths sometimes.

The cool thing is that you've made the captures ... and they'll patiently wait for your post capture skills to catch up, so just keep making good captures, understanding that it takes both sides of the equation. No matter how good someone gets with their post-capture work, they need to have a capture to start from ... and you provided the captures that Scott and I chose to rework..

Dec 18, 2013 at 09:56 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · trying again

Thank you all!!! The feedback and information provided is extremely helpful.

Santa, if you're on FM today, you now have my wish list. This elf needs lighting. (Need to check out all these various learning methods and find which works best with my learning style before purchasing.)

Season's blessings to all, and again, many thanks!
Diane

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:26 AM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · trying again

Today's capture with ISO 800 1/250 sec 245 mm using my on-body flash which I think helps even through the glass. I found curves in PS and applied it...hopefully in the right direction. Need to read more...

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cJVTuwsFSRU/UrM_0mizvRI/AAAAAAAAAMg/gEg3HKbm_4E/w483-h510-no/IMG_6047fm.jpg

Dec 19, 2013 at 01:56 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.