Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

artur5
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Not saying that Metabones is more reliable than Samyang but, in all logic, is way easier to make a simple adapter with perfectly parallel faces than mounting a complex optic system with many lens elements, all them perfectly centered with relation to the focal plane and the lens mount.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
I would go with the FE mount versions especially in the case of the Samyang wide-angle lenses.
It seems to me, the wider we go, the more we'll see issues with adapter tolerance and misalignment. The A7R higher resolution and shorter flange-to-sensor is also more likely to show any tilt. We can only hope the built-in adapter will ensure a better alignment.
I'm having trouble with Canon's 17mm and 24mm TS-E adapted to the A7R. See this post.
Fred

Fred - Are you having adapter alignment issues or lens+sensor issues?

Dec 18, 2013 at 04:56 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.3 #3 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

jhinkey wrote:
Fred - Are you having adapter alignment issues or lens+sensor issues?

If you look at Fred's posting there is certainly something amiss. I would lean toward a problem with the adapter. But...

Rich

Dec 18, 2013 at 05:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

I am still not sure what's the cause of the issue.

As I wrote on the other thread there are a few possibilities:

1) Adapter misalignment
I have 3 adapters and I'm getting smearing at the extreme corners. I just ordered another one but I'm starting to think the 'diffracted' look in my corners are being caused by something else.

2) A7R mount misalignment:
This is another remote possibility. I am getting another A7R this week and will be able to rule this out with more certainty.

3) A7R shorter flange-to-sensor and microlenses design:
The SLR lenses I'm testing have a further away exit pupil position. I'm not sure.

4) Another possibility is the blurriness/smearing is being caused by the thickness of the glass in front of the Sony sensor. The thicker the glass, the more issues with diffraction at the edges, especially with ultra wide angles.

Dec 18, 2013 at 05:06 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
I am still not sure what's the cause of the issue.

As I wrote on the other thread there are a few possibilities:

1) Adapter misalignment
I have 3 adapters and I'm getting smearing at the extreme corners. I just ordered another one but I'm starting to think the 'diffracted' look in my corners are being caused by something else.

2) A7R mount misalignment:
This is another remote possibility. I am getting another A7R this week and will be able to rule this out with more certainty.

3) A7R shorter flange-to-sensor and microlenses design:
The SLR lenses I'm testing have a further away exit pupil position.
...Show more

If you get the same blurring in all the corners then it's not the adapter as it has no optics. If the blurring is not even between the corners then it's likely a centering/parallelism problem with the adapter + lens + camera system. I would expect at least a small amount of mis-alignment using a mount adapter. You may have some centering issues with the lens that the new Sony sensor magnifies so that you see it with the Sony, but not much if at all with the Canon.

Dec 18, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Suyash

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

I wish some of the samyang lenses had autofocus

Jul 23, 2014 at 06:40 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register