Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Spyro P.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

MaxBerlin wrote:
The 14mm Roki for Nikon is quite nice on the A7r. It did great again today. When wide angle and a complicated scene the system does nice.

http://flic.kr/p/ioAKbr

I think your top left corner has some issues, even in small sizes

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Bummer. Title of the thread had me hoping for something interesting.

Samyang's QC record is just as abysmal as Fotodiox's! Does anyone really believe your chances with a "native" FE mount Samyang are any better than your chances with an SLR-mount Samyang + a Fotodiox adapter?

Now, if a reputable company was doing this, THAT would be interesting.

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:37 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Spyro P. wrote:
I think your top left corner has some issues, even in small sizes

You're right. I saw that too (smearing/bluring) but attributed it to field curvature and what a 14mm does on FF when at 2.8. By 5.6 these things get sorted out. It was low light and HH

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:41 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

These lenses appear to be the same lenses with the adapter added on.

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Spyro P. wrote:
some of them look like you can unscrew the added part

Yeah, it would be funny (really sad I guess) if it was just basically a plain old adapter that was removable. I suspect there would not be a standard mount underneath though. Maybe someone will disassemble one of these and see what's there.

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Matt Grum
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Lee Saxon wrote:
Bummer. Title of the thread had me hoping for something interesting.

Title of the thread should have been "Samyang announce 5 old lenses with tubes stuck on the back"

Dec 17, 2013 at 04:14 PM
slungu
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

If I am a Sony A7 user with no Samyang lens, why would I not buy directly one for my mount and no hassle with adapters ? If I have two or more systems then yes, it makes sense to buy the one for the longest flange to film distance and use adapters for the others, but if not it is a very good choice.

Dec 17, 2013 at 05:57 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

slungu wrote:
If I am a Sony A7 user with no Samyang lens, why would I not buy directly one for my mount and no hassle with adapters ? If I have two or more systems then yes, it makes sense to buy the one for the longest flange to film distance and use adapters for the others, but if not it is a very good choice.

It kind of depends... Does SY have better quality control in their tube making or does another vendor like Novoflex or Meatybones?

I would hope the expensive adapters would be more precise, but it may not work that way.

This A7/R stuff is a lot of wait and see.

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:17 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

mco_970 wrote:
It kind of depends... Does SY have better quality control in their tube making or does another vendor like Novoflex or Meatybones?

I would hope the expensive adapters would be more precise, but it may not work that way.

If Samyang does not come out with some sort of rotating collar for the lenses an advantage to using an adapter like the Novoflex would be ability to use their ASTAT_NEX rotating collar which would allow for better balance to the set-up and quite possibly better maneuverability for tripod mounting.

Rich

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:22 PM
artur5
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Given Samyang's less than stellar QC. using a, let's say, Nikon mount unit plus adapter on a A7r will give you the chance of tuning the adapter to your lens copy. I.e. if your lens is a bit decentered towards the right side, just grind the adapter until it gets skewed to the left the same amount.

Well, I wasn't being serious but, on second thoughts, maybe isn't a bad idea.

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimUe
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

slungu wrote:

it's not that one would not buy directly for the FE mount, it's just that the title of the thread is "new" lenses when it's obvious that its their existing lenses in just another mount. it would be like Zeiss claiming their ZF.2 line are new lenses compared to the ZF.1's

Dec 17, 2013 at 07:23 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

slungu wrote:

A bigger marketplace for resale could be a reason to pick Nikon F as an example.

http://www.novoflex.com/index.php

Dec 17, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Is not the whole point of a mirrorless system to evolve towards more compact lenses ?

Dec 17, 2013 at 08:02 PM
telyt
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Xavier Rival wrote:
Is not the whole point of a mirrorless system to evolve towards more compact lenses ?

There are numerous points in favor of a mirrorless system, the potential for more compact lenses among them.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Xavier Rival wrote:

one step at the time, digital is still trying to sort out light not arriving in an orderly perpendicular fashion
Give it another decade and maybe we can start seeing lenses we already had 50 years ago. Progress!

How's this for a full frame 35/2.8 that doesnt smear the corners? (just as a reminder what we used to have so we dont settle for less)

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

'digital is still trying to sort out light not arriving in an orderly perpendicular fashion.'

Well, one particular user group and maker is sure trying, with equal parts drowning and waving it seems.

All the ZEFs, as just one example, have very shallow beam angles, and they and all legacy SLR lenses present light to the sensor in the carefree manner of a summer's afternoon. 'Smearing' for them is what happens when you don't clean window cleaner off your windscreen.

'Is not the whole point of a mirrorless system to evolve towards more compact lenses'

The early lenses made for SLRs were in the main very compact with some moderate size/weight lenses accompanying them. FD, AIS, K, CY and so on. Camera bodies were more a7 than D800 in those high usability days.

You might call this de-evolution, or days of future passed, or even back to the future.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:44 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

These Samyangs look to be a bit of a hatchet job, which is a delicious irony in that there is mount augmentation in lieu of chopping.

Dec 18, 2013 at 02:07 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Just a thought - these things incorporate the mount in them I imagine, going by the photos of them. At least that puts them one up on the extra link in the chain - the adapter companies.

So they (Samyang) take responsibility for alignment, and can be expected to do a better job than the horror stories of backyard quality efforts by even well-regarded adapter makers.

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Users of A7's who are interested in these lenses can only hope that's the case.

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:35 AM
Matt Grum
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

mco_970 wrote:

The fact that there's half the mounting surfaces involved ought to count in favor of the Samyang FE lens being better than an EF or F version on an adapter.

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password