New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony FE mount.
Samyang has introduced five lenses for the full frame Sony E-mount, increasing 35mm full-frame lenses compatible with the newest Sony Alpha 7 and 7R cameras.
They have the same optical design with a seamless built-in adapter decreasing the chances of misalignment.

Following the announcement issued on October, Samyang released five full-frame lenses fitted with the bayonet Sony E-mount, including:

• Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
• Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC
• Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC
• Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC
• Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC

For more info, check out Samyang's website.

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 FE

Samyang 24mm f/3.5 T-S FE

Samyang 85mm f/1.4 FE

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

If these are simply the existing designs with built in adapters, they are going to be HUGE on the A7's.

It presents an interesting conundrum - Buy the version for an existing DSLR system and simply adapt it for more versatility or buy the NEX versions with hopefully more precision/ accuracy than an adapted version but loose versatility with other systems (if needed/ used).

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Tariq Gibran wrote:
If these are simply the existing designs with built in adapters, they are going to be HUGE on the A7's.

It presents an interesting conundrum - Buy the version for an existing DSLR system and simply adapt it for more versatility or buy the NEX versions with hopefully more precision/ accuracy than an adapted version but loose versatility with other systems (if needed/ used).

I would go with the full frame E-mount versions especially in the case of the Samyang wide-angle lenses.
It seems to me, the wider we go, the more we'll see issues with adapter tolerance and misalignment. The A7R higher resolution and shorter flange-to-sensor is also more likely to show any tilt. We can only hope the built-in adapter will ensure a better alignment.
I'm having trouble with Canon's 17mm and 24mm TS-E adapted to the A7R. See this post.
Fred

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

It does look like they just screwed an adapter onto the lenses to make them work.

I tried my Nikon mount 14mm today w/ a Fotodiox Pro adapter on A7 and the results were rather dismal, even stopped down. And indeed, the size of it w/ the adapter makes the lens very front heavy. I'm sure it would benefit from a tripod foot built onto the adapter.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM
fungz0r

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Samyang will have to convince us with some tests that these lenses are adapted properly, because I think most people are not convinced.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
I would go with the FE mount versions especially in the case of the Samyang wide-angle lenses.
It seems to me, the wider we go, the more we'll see issues with adapter tolerance and misalignment. The A7R higher resolution and shorter flange-to-sensor is also more likely to show any tilt. We can only hope the built-in adapter should ensure a better alignment.
I'm having trouble with Canon's 17mm and 24mm TS-E adapted to the A7R. See this post.
Fred

I agree Fred, though one will have to deal with Samyang copy-variability in place of adapter variability

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

The 14mm is supposedly a great lens for the price. I think I will pass. I will wait for new lenses designed specifically for FE. I hope Zeiss doesn't pull this stunt with their FE manual focus lenses.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

mco_970 wrote:
It does look like they just screwed an adapter onto the lenses to make them work.

I tried my Nikon mount 14mm today w/ a Fotodiox Pro adapter on A7 and the results were rather dismal, even stopped down. And indeed, the size of it w/ the adapter makes the lens very front heavy. I'm sure it would benefit from a tripod foot built onto the adapter.

That's odd. I was just thinking that lens looks surprisingly good when used on Max's A7r and posted here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/110671606@N08/11392389216/sizes/l/

Maybe an adapter issue?

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
I would go with the FE mount versions especially in the case of the Samyang wide-angle lenses.
It seems to me, the wider we go, the more we'll see issues with adapter tolerance and misalignment. The A7R higher resolution and shorter flange-to-sensor is also more likely to show any tilt. We can only hope the built-in adapter should ensure a better alignment.
Fred

+1 Adapter variability seems to be a major issue.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

@Tariq - def. could be adapter issue. I compared against 10-18 Sony @~15 (shot FF on A7) at various apertures and the Sony was quite a bit better overall, despite being a lens designed for APS-C.

After reading Fred's thread w/ his adapter difficulties, I am liking the adapter option less and less (guess I need to change my vote on RustyBug's poll to 'feeling curmudgeonly about adapters'.)

My results, however, are mine alone and YMMV and no one should extrapolate anything from them, thanks so much.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM
HopeIsEternal
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

I don't even think that these lenses even have electronic coupling with the new A bodies. I know I have the 85mm f/1.4 and there Samyang couldn't be bothered to add a ROM chip or even support 1980's era full aperture metering.

There really is no reason to buy these "pre-adapted" lenses if they lack electronic coupling (EXIF info etc...) and aperture control. A canon or Nikon model with E-mount adapter will provide the same experience and still allow use on DSLRs and assure a greater resale value.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

mco_970 wrote:
My results, however, are mine alone and YMMV and no one should extrapolate anything from them, thanks so much.

Said the diplomat!

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

mco_970 wrote:

Same here!

BTW: Did you guys see the size of that Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4!!!

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
Same here!

BTW: Did you guys see the size of that Samyang FE 35mm f/1.4!!!

That lens felt huge when used on my old Sony A900. It would be like a buzaka on the A7's. Optically, a really outstanding lens though.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

These new E-mount lenses will definitely be front heavy on the A7 series. It would be wise for Samyang to offer a rotating tripod collar for them.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM
MaxBerlin
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

The 14mm Roki for Nikon is quite nice on the A7r. It did great again today. When wide angle and a complicated scene the system does nice.

http://flic.kr/p/ioAKbr

Fred is right - weight and length = fulcrum point = possible damage to flange/sensor alignment.

Better to have something like the ASTAT/NEX solution.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

The Samyang lenses are not that extremely heavy given their size. Probably due to the materials they are made from. For instance, that 14mm is only about 1.2 pounds or so. That big 35mm is 1.5 pounds. That's noticeably lighter than say a heavy Zeiss ZF lens of similar specs.

As others have mentioned, I don't think anyone would even naturally pick up an A7 by the body only with a long lens on the front.

Dec 17, 2013 at 07:22 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

A bit ridiculous aren't they...

Dec 17, 2013 at 07:24 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

Yes.

Dec 17, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Samyang announced 5 new lenses for the Sony E-mount

some of them look like you can unscrew the added part
maybe there's a Canon or Nikon mount hiding underneath

FE mount
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/22/903022.jpg

Canon mount
http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/769532.jpg

Dec 17, 2013 at 08:03 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.