Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Reflections - Continuous Lighting?

Benjamin Munn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflections - Continuous Lighting?

Greetings,

I am attempting to photograph collectible toys that have been encased in acrylic display cases. As you can imagine, their are some serious reflections in the photographs. I was wondering if anyone had done this type of photography and if so, do you have any suggetions. I was considering using continuous lighting opposed to flash and then using a polarizer to eliminate reflections. Not sure if that would work or not.

Any thoughts?

Dec 16, 2013 at 01:25 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflections - Continuous Lighting?

There won't be any difference with continuous lighting, it's still light. Remember, the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. Get your lights off axis from the camera. The cp filter can help reduce environmental glare from other light sources in the room.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
_SBS_
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reflections - Continuous Lighting?

If you cant seem to get rid of the reflection by moving the lights or moving the camera then fix it in post. Take one shot. Move lights slightly so the reflection is in a different place, take another shot. Do this as many times as needed.

Bring all into photoshop as layers and just pick and choose to create one shot with no reflections.

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:20 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reflections - Continuous Lighting?

Using a polarized lens with acrylic will make the acrylic blocks show interesting color patterns that you don't want. As a test get a pair of cheap polarized sunglasses to observe the effect.

Just move your lights so the camera - light angle falls outside the "family of angles" that will reflect into the lens.

I suggest you buy "Light - Science & Magic" by Hunter, Fuqua, & Fils to learn how to photograph shiny objects.

<Chas>

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reflections - Continuous Lighting?

Great book!

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:27 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reflections - Continuous Lighting?

_SBS_ wrote:
Great book!

+1 Indeed the book to get especially for a better/easy understanding of something like this.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Benjamin Munn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reflections - Continuous Lighting?

Appreciate all the information everyone. I will certainly pick up that book. Thanks again!

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.