New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help with selecting lighting gear

arloc1959

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with selecting lighting gear

Ok. I'd like to be able to adjust flash output manually from a subjects location. I'll be buying a light meter from that purpose. I know some meters will trigger. I think. I currently have the Canon 5DMK III, the 600EX RT, ST-E3-RT, using couple umbrellas and a Apollo soft box. All I need is a good flash meter capable of triggering the flash right? Using what I have? Would be nice if someone could post a shopping list of what I need. Or should change everything I have? Go to a Pocket Wizard system?

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with selecting lighting gear

Sekonic sells meters that trigger PW's, and Paul Buff sells a Cyber Commander (CC) that will trigger his CSRB receivers. The PW solution is more expensive, but offers TTL plus an option (AC3 Zone Controller) that lets you remotely adjust the power of your speedlights. The Cyber Commander has a built-in meter that's been quite accurate in my experience. Bottom line is that the PW is more elegant, but requires a meter, transmitter and receiver. The Buff gear, on the other hand, is less expensive and obviates the need for a separate meter, but does not support TTL or remote power adjustments for your Canon flash.

If you're going with PW:
1. Sekonic meter with built-in PW trigger
2. FlexTT5 for each speedlight
3. MiniTT1 for the camera hotshoe
4. AC3 Zone Controller

If you're going with Buff products
1. CyberCommander (CC)
2. CSRB and cable for each speedlight
3. CST for the camera hotshoe (The CC can sit in the hotshoe to trigger the remote flash unit(s), although most people seem to prefer the CST as the triggering device while keeping the CC in their hands as a meter.)

Dec 16, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with selecting lighting gear

You can take the ST-E3-RT off the camera and go to your subject's location and adjust the settings on your 600EX-RTs from there without having to get inside soft boxes or unmount the flashes to adjust settings. The 5D3 menus integrate with the ST-E3-RT and you can adjust the slaves using in camera menus. I do not think any of the light meters will talk to the 600EX-RTs at this point.

Buy 2 more of the 600EX-RTs unless you are going to need more light than they can provide.

Dec 16, 2013 at 03:59 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with selecting lighting gear

You can save yourself a lot of money by just walking over to the flash/strobe and adjusting power. It doesn't take that long. I can totally understand if you're lighting a gym or ballroom or something like that how adjusting power at the camera is useful but for a portrait session it's really no big deal.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with selecting lighting gear

Myself I agree with BIC and would get the pocket wizard setup especially get the ac3 zone Controler then get your sekonic meter with the newest module designed for the CTL pocket wizards radios..

That is what I have I use plus 2/3 for the lights that pw does not have CTL items for.

Dec 31, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with selecting lighting gear

If you are just shooting casually and have the time, adjusting your lights manually is not an issue. But if you are doing it professionally, have time constraints, multiple lights (especially up on a boom) have a back light, light in a softbox, or don't want to annoy or model, have less stress, then nothing beats wireless, and the TTI/TT5/AC3 Zone controller.

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:53 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with selecting lighting gear

I have PW everything to trigger both my speedlight and einsteins. I got my sekonic meter without the PW module inside of it because I always have my camera on my body, so its no big deal to just hit the test button on the camera mounted trigger, get my reading, and then adjust my ac3 accordingly.

Jan 04, 2014 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.