New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

mrpalaviccini
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

Hey guys,

New to the lighting forum, but I'm hoping I can get some help. The main question:

Are there triggers that allow you to change the manual output of off-camera flashes that won't break the bank (sub $100 would be ideal). I would like to set up the flashes and be able to change the flash output straight from the transmitter (or camera)

I'm looking to purchase a couple of flashes for off-camera work. I've settled on the Yongnuo 560 III as they seem to get great reviews and they have a built in receiver. I know that they work well with the RF-603 Transciever, but that transmitter won't allow you to change the manual output power.

I've read a bit about the YN-622C Transceivers and I think they'll do the job, but am just not sure. I think I would need to have the YN-565 EX.

If you could help point me in the right direction, that would be great! Any input is appreciated. I also wouldn't mind hearing about other options that I may be missing.

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM
mrpalaviccini
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

No help?!

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

to be kind of blunt, have you actually googled this at all vs. just waiting for someone to answer it?

Google found........

http://www.lightingrumours.com/feature-guide-to-the-yongnuo-yn-622-for-canon-2672#manual

which contained the following.......... (although there are some limitations regarding which camera and flash
you're using but you dont specify which). Worst case... get 'em from Amazon, try 'em and return them if they do not work.

How does wireless manual control work?

The set-up is similar to E-TTL ratios, but in External flash func. setting > Flash mode you pick “Manual” instead of “E-TTL II”. You will then be able to set each of your independent flash groups – A, B or C – to manual power levels from 1/1 to 1/128.

Dec 18, 2013 at 07:15 AM
mrpalaviccini
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

Hey Howard,

I read quite a bit online, but wasn't clear on the answer. Maybe I wasn't clear on what I was asking.

The Yongnuo 560 III have a built in receiver and can be triggered via the RF-603. However, if you want to change the light output, you have to do it at the flash itself. What I want is a set that allows you to do it from the transmitter (or camera).

So I found the YN-622C, which would allow me to change the settings in camera, but it's not clear if they will fire the Yongnuo 560 III. That's the question. If not, then is there another similar set that I could buy?

Sorry if I wasn't clear,

Miguel

Dec 18, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

Hi Miguel

I just bought the new Godox Vings with the Li-Ion battery
They came with proprietary transceivers that allow manual control of each flash from the trigger. It was $300 for 2 speedlights + transceivers. Nice units too, fast recycle times and huge battery life and very simple implementation of the wireless control.

I wrote a review on the fuji forum
http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/16102-godox-ving850-on-fuji-x/

Edited on Dec 19, 2013 at 07:56 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2013 at 07:53 PM
mrpalaviccini
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

Thanks spyro! Never even heard of those

Dec 19, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

Yeah they're a new release.
I know they are not the Yongnuos that you wanted but not very different in specs
Worth a look I think, I'm very happy so far.

Dec 19, 2013 at 07:56 PM
mrpalaviccini
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

See that's exactly what I was looking for! I'll look into them a bit more this weekend and see if I can get one or two more flashes. Thanks for the input!

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:00 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

Glad to help

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:04 PM
mrpalaviccini
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

Spyro,

I found a very similar model made by Neweer on Amazon. I just can't seem to find and extra receiver. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-BATTERY-Speedlite-Professional-Photography/dp/B00GJMD08M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-CHANNEL-Trigger-receiver-SPEEDLITE/dp/B00GFMNQ9E/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387854491&sr=1-13&keywords=neewer+receiver

Thanks again for the info, this seems to be exactly what I was looking for!

Miguel

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

mrpalaviccini wrote:
but that transmitter won't allow you to change the manual output power.

You can also look at Radiopopper JrX Studios.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Manual Flash Trigger Question

If they are radio triggers in that price range they would not be reliable. The only thing it that price range and I think it would be good for you learn this equipment prior to moving on to radio triggers. Get yourself one og the 30' Ettl cords and Syl Arena's book on canon speedlites. Read the book learn fron it and you be able to master any lighting setup the you'll need.

Dec 26, 2013 at 05:49 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.