New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

I just picked up a new Nikon 10-24 ... Last time I picked up any new photo gear was 2011 so it was time. So far I like little bugger.

Now the issue I have is I have just outgrown my old backpack and that's without the 300 f/2.8. I've narrowed it down to two options, both from Lowepro. The Pro Runner 450 AW and the Vertex 300. I know there are other options out there but I've had great luck with Lowepro and I have lots of other Lowepro attachments.

Your thoughts?

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Please don't hate me...

IMO standard issue backpacks like that are terrible. The large, cumbersome flap that makes up the back can be a pain. I hate how I have to open the whole backpack just to get at a lens at the bottom. I used lowpro bags for YEARS, so I speak from 20+ years of firsthand experience with them.

I switched to a gura gear bag (kiboko series) and it ends up being a lot easier to get gear in and out of. Additionally, the layout seems to allow for more gear than a "normal" backpack of the same size. It's a fantastic step up from the rest of the bags out there, so I'd urge you to take a look before you make a decision.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Steve Perry wrote:
Please don't hate me...

IMO standard issue backpacks like that are terrible. The large, cumbersome flap that makes up the back can be a pain. I hate how I have to open the whole backpack just to get at a lens at the bottom. I used lowpro bags for YEARS, so I speak from 20+ years of firsthand experience with them.

I switched to a gura gear bag (kiboko series) and it ends up being a lot easier to get gear in and out of. Additionally, the layout seems to allow for more gear than a "normal" backpack of the same
...Show more

Thanks Steve, I will do just that.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

www.guragear.com Tell him i sent you

J

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Cool backpack.
It's on my list.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

jmcfadden wrote:
www.guragear.com Tell him i sent you

J

Hey John, that is an interesting bag, I will check that out further.

Jim

Dec 16, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Hmmm, the Gura gear bags do look interesting ... curse you Steve and Jim, now I'm back to square one looking into bags ... They look more like what I've been looking for.

The only thing I have to figure out is how to load the camera with lens attached ... the bigger bags looks like they can hangle that without too much loss of space.

How are they for comfort and adjustibility?

Dec 16, 2013 at 09:18 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Andre, you're a family man aren't you? $350.00 for a camera bag...really? I'm sure the Gura Gear bags are wonderfully built, but unless this bag is going to be your every day bag then I'd have to think long and hard.

Having said that, if you do a lot of trekking then I could see having a bag like that.

Dec 16, 2013 at 09:30 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Andre Labonte wrote:
Hmmm, the Gura gear bags do look interesting ... curse you Steve and Jim, now I'm back to square one looking into bags ... They look more like what I've been looking for.

The only thing I have to figure out is how to load the camera with lens attached ... the bigger bags looks like they can hangle that without too much loss of space.

How are they for comfort and adjustibility?

I have the 30L model (it may have been replaced with a newer model by now) and I can easily keep a camera with a lens attached in it. In fact, I toted around my D3x bodies in it at one time with lenses attached. Can't speak for the smaller bags.

One thing these bags really have going for them is their square shape - I'm always surprised at just how much gear I can stuff into the thing. I have to resist the urge to take too much on long hikes! The outer compartments are fantastic too - I keep LOTS of little accessories in them.

Personally, I find mine very comfortable and I've been on a lot of long hikes with it. Pretty much every strap is fully adjustable and the padding is good. I won't go so far as to say it's as comfortable as a full on backpack would be, but as camera backpacks go, it's as comfortable as any other I've used.

As for the price - I've personally spent egregious amounts of money trying to find the "perfect" camera bag. I finally stopped when I purchased this one a few years back. Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to buy the right bag in the first place.

My suggestion would be to pick one model you think will suite your needs and purchase from someone with a good return policy. See if you like it and go from there - you really won't know till you try it.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

leighton w wrote:
Andre, you're a family man aren't you? $350.00 for a camera bag...really? I'm sure the Gura Gear bags are wonderfully built, but unless this bag is going to be your every day bag then I'd have to think long and hard.

Having said that, if you do a lot of trekking then I could see having a bag like that.

You are quite correct, I am a family man with 5 kids (soon to be 6 kids) so cost is an issue. On the other hand, photography is my ownly hobby and extravagance, thus the reason I'm back to looking into things but I'm not comitted to getting a Gura bag ... I would be foolish not to consider it after a good recomendation from Steve & Jim.

The Gura gear bags certainly look nice but for the price I can get two Lowepro bags. On the other hand, when you are carrying around $15K of gear, why quibble over spending a little bit extra on having a good bag. My other concern with the Gira bag is how to organize my stuff where I tend to load my camera into the bag with my largest lens attached ... the full-open style of the Lowepro bags work well with that style but the Gura bags will be more of a challenge in that regard ... or maybe I just have not been creative enough yet.

I'm generally very slow to buy gear ... there's no rush on purchasing anything as I'm not traveling anywhere in the next month, but since I do you my bag to store my gear safely, I don't want to wait too long.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Steve Perry wrote:
I have the 30L model (it may have been replaced with a newer model by now) and I can easily keep a camera with a lens attached in it. In fact, I toted around my D3x bodies in it at one time with lenses attached. Can't speak for the smaller bags.

One thing these bags really have going for them is their square shape - I'm always surprised at just how much gear I can stuff into the thing. I have to resist the urge to take too much on long hikes! The outer compartments are fantastic too -
...Show more

Hi Steve,

More sage advice ... B&H is great for it's return policy and I buy most of my gear there ... rarely do I return anything but a bag may be a different story.

Would you be kind enough to show a picture of how you have your bag organized with the lens attached? That would be a huge help.

Thanks again for the advice ... I might just have to buy both the Lowepro and Gura and do a short hike with each.

Cheers,
Andre

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

To me the Gura bags are "trek" bags, where you hauling a bunch of stuff but not necessarily hiking with it - that is, an Africa styled trip. For that purpose they are excellent. But if you are hauling the gear on your back the F-Stop stuff is probably the better option. The ICU options give them a bit of future-proofing as well.

Peace,

Todd

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Todd Warnke wrote:
To me the Gura bags are "trek" bags, where you hauling a bunch of stuff but not necessarily hiking with it - that is, an Africa styled trip. For that purpose they are excellent. But if you are hauling the gear on your back the F-Stop stuff is probably the better option. The ICU options give them a bit of future-proofing as well.

Peace,

Todd

Nice option, but as much as I'd like to be more of a hicker, I don't have the time (6 kids an all) so it's more about me lugging my gear to this event and that event along with safe storage and easy access once I get there and find a good spot to work from. The same is true when I do landscapes as I never have the chance to go on long hicking trips ... but day trips are common but not with the 300 f/2.8 ... for that I have a smaller backpack already that seems to work.

Steve might be interested in this option though ...

Dec 16, 2013 at 01:53 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Andre,

I use a Vertex 300 and I can recommend it, but it is quite a heavy (and huge) bag. I usually use it with the 200-400VR mounted on a pro body in the middle compartment. You might not need the full length with the 300 2.8. There is plenty of room for another pro body, and five lenses, like the 2.8 trilogy and fast primes. This is what I usually carry for assignments or for short hikes (half a day typically).

Guy

Dec 16, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

gugs wrote:
Andre,

I use a Vertex 300 and I can recommend it, but it is quite a heavy (and huge) bag. I usually use it with the 200-400VR mounted on a pro body in the middle compartment. You might not need the full length with the 300 2.8. There is plenty of room for another pro body, and five lenses, like the 2.8 trilogy and fast primes. This is what I usually carry for assignments or for short hikes (half a day typically).

Guy

Thanks Guy,

This is very helpful. It sounds like it is just a little larger than I need, but not by much, which means the Pro Runner is (which is slightly smaller) is likely just the right size and I would not want to go smaller. The Pro Runner saves me 2 lbs too!

I have only one body for now (D300 with a grip), but hving two is in the works (D7200 or D400 in 2015). I have 6 lenses: 10-24, 17-55, 70-200, 300 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 D, Tamron 180 ... along with a TC, 2 flashes and my filters.

Any comments on the constructions, usability and weather proofing?

Cheers,
Andre

Dec 16, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Hi Andre - Here's a couple shots of the 30L bag. Both with the D800, one with the 14-24 and gigantic Fotodiox polarizer adapter, then nest with a more reasonable 70-200 2.8. (sorry, my bag looks trashy)

Also, you mention weather proofing above. I can promise you this backpack is NOT waterproof, but they do provide a rain cover that fixes the problem. Just make sure you use it if it starts raining. (I speak from experience)

Dec 16, 2013 at 03:40 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Hi Steve,

Thanks! That is hugely helpful. Wow, that thing has room in it.

You are not making my decision any easier you know ....

Cheers,
Andre

Dec 16, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Andre Labonte wrote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks! That is hugely helpful. Wow, that thing has room in it.

You are not making my decision any easier you know ....

Cheers,
Andre

On the contrary, I think it's should be pretty easy by now

Dec 16, 2013 at 04:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

Congrats on the new lens!

I also love Lowepro, but I tend more to the large AW bags for assignments and the Passport Sling for simple stuff. Love the quality and modular design of the brand.

Dec 16, 2013 at 04:22 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New 10-24 DX - Now I need a new backpack

A few pics:
just to give an example of the contents (the picture is a few years old)
?zz=1">
bag 1 by gugs, on Flickr
This gives an idea of the size (and I am not small) - Tremblant, Quebec

canada 424 by gugs, on Flickr

Guy

Dec 16, 2013 at 04:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.