FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My first Snowy Owls

Prevelige
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My first Snowy Owls

I had the great pleasure to go on a brief tour to see some of MA's latest visitors, the Snowy Owl. They have captured 21 of these beauties at Logan Airport already this year, and released them elsewhere, where they are not in danger, nor a danger to airplanes. The lighting was less than ideal, and my images were less than ideally sharp (maybe my 7D and 2X iii don't play nicely together?) In any case, I got at least a few images that are passable, and whet my appetite to go back in better conditions. C&C requested and appreciated.

Bob

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:17 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My first Snowy Owls

Nice set Bob. Congrats on the first.

Dec 16, 2013 at 08:33 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My first Snowy Owls

Congratulations! Very nice set.

The third is my favorite.

Birdie

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My first Snowy Owls

Thanks for the feedback guys...I have no idea how this got split into 2 threads...

Dec 16, 2013 at 02:54 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My first Snowy Owls

Congrats on the Snowys Bob. These are nice, but do lack sharpness. I would suggest renting the newer version of the 500 or 600 for your next trip ~ Ron

Dec 17, 2013 at 06:39 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My first Snowy Owls

Very nice.

Dec 17, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My first Snowy Owls

Ron,

Thanks. I'm not sure if it was the air near there, or the 7D with a tele. I've never had sharpness issues with my 5D3, but I wanted the "reach" of the crop body. My mistake I guess.

surfnron wrote:
Congrats on the Snowys Bob. These are nice, but do lack sharpness. I would suggest renting the newer version of the 500 or 600 for your next trip ~ Ron

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My first Snowy Owls

Thanks Ted.

Bob

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My first Snowy Owls

The image that I think I like best, I omitted from the post originally...so here it is.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My first Snowy Owls

nice ones Bob .. my 300mm works great with my 2X, on either my 7D or 1D4.. i have larger lenses so i seldom use them together.. and i don't think i've ever shot it wide open

Dec 18, 2013 at 04:47 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My first Snowy Owls

Hmm, that's good to know. The 300+2X are perfectly sharp on my 5D, but I wasn't sure about the 7D. Maybe some backyard testing is in order.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM
braam
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My first Snowy Owls

The high iso may also account for some drop in sharpness especially with the 7D. Congrats on your first snowies.

Dec 18, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My first Snowy Owls

Wow, what an opportunity! Overall, it's a nice set, Bob; my favorite is the same as yours (the one posted later in the thread). Agree that the images are not as crisp as one might have hoped for, but I'm not so sure it's a "high ISO"/7D problem, as there doesn't seem to be that much noise in the background. Worth doing, as you suggest, some backyard testing to sort it out. Beautiful bird; keep 'em coming!

Greg

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My first Snowy Owls

Thanks Greg. I didnt think it was an ISO issue as I was never higher than 1600. Even with a 7D that should be ok. It may have just been the sea air and the temps w diffraction.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM
MS PHOTO
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My first Snowy Owls

Great set Bob, your one of the lucky one to capture those amazing owls.
Paul

Dec 19, 2013 at 03:43 PM
BuceG
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My first Snowy Owls

Great captures!
My 2 cents on 7D noise. I think the noise on mine is objectionable on the screen above 640 ISO, so I rarely use it at a higher ISO. But I have found that it isn't as noticeable on prints as it is on the screen.
-Bruce

Dec 19, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My first Snowy Owls

That's good to know Bruce. Maybe I'll try printing them and see if I like them more there. Alternative #2 is to go back and try again.

Bob

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Michael Rucci
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My first Snowy Owls

Congrats on your 1st I have the 7d also and the high iso is more than likely the problem but just to see him/her in the lens is a plus well done

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My first Snowy Owls

Michael, there are lots of them here in MA this winter, so I need to capitalize on the opportunity! Next time, 5Diii,

Dec 20, 2013 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.