Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

ytwong
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

Anyone using the Acratech GP-S ballhead with Gitzo 1541T? I want a better ballhead for my Gitzo. The guy in Acratech suggested GP-SS but I prefer a slighter larger plate if it can still fit with the Gitzo with the legs folded.Thanks

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

there is no distinct advantage to using a larger clamp on that setup

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
mhilbush
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

I have the Gitzo 1542T and the Acratech GP-S ballhead. I find it to be a great combination for a lightweight tripod/ballhead combo that I can take on hikes or pack in my carry-on bag.

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:17 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

As I recall the 1542T doesn't have fold back legs. If you want the legs on a 1541T to fold back parallel to the center column you'll need a ballhead with both the panning base and ball housing <=50mm like a Markins Q3T, which was specifically designed for that tripod.

If you want to get an Acratech the GP-ss is the most suitable model for a 1541T and it comes with a 46mm wide clamp. 60mm is the standard width of most ballheads' clamps but as sjms points out above there's no real advantage to using a big clamp with a small ballhead. The GP-ss has a 53mm diameter panning base. In order to utilize the full functionality of the GP you'll need to use the clamp that Acratech sells with it, either the knob or lever quick release whichever is your preference.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

Thanks guys. The more I read, the more I think the Markins is actually a better head for general use....with much higher load capacity too.

I was very interested in the Acratech over other brands mainly because I have recently purcahsed an Astrotrac star tracker; the movement of the ball in Acratech seems to be have more freedom than other ballheads, and that would be quite convenient when mount on the tracker since I might need to set the ballhead at a quirky position for a fairly normal composition (espially when I'm pointing the lens to the south).

P.S. I konw the traveler is not ideal for the tracker but I also have a Gitzo 1127 which is slightly better. So I wish the rather expensive (to me) ballhead would be multi purpose... the use with traveler tripod and star tracker.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM
mhilbush
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

peter_n wrote:
As I recall the 1542T doesn't have fold back legs. If you want the legs on a 1541T to fold back parallel to the center column you'll need a ballhead with both the panning base and ball housing <=50mm like a Markins Q3T, which was specifically designed for that tripod.

If you want to get an Acratech the GP-ss is the most suitable model for a 1541T and it comes with a 46mm wide clamp. 60mm is the standard width of most ballheads' clamps but as sjms points out above there's no real advantage to using a big clamp with a
...Show more

Wasn't the 1541T discontinued, and replaced by the 1542T?

And, the 1542T legs do fold back.

Dec 16, 2013 at 08:34 PM
dg23

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

I have used the 1541T and the original Acratech GP for about 4 years with no problems using equipment similar to yours (Nikon D800E, up to 70-200 2.8). Even with some splay, it folds & fits in the supplied bag to the side of a ThinkTank Airport Antidote for travel. Never had vibration problems fully extended, even for night work (with shutter delay). I always use the GP inverted for easy levelling & pano work (it's a work of genius with 30 degree index markers, still 4 yrs ahead of the competition). But for astro work, you would prefer a geared head & taller tripod. I use an Arca Swiss D4 & Gitzo 3541L with a Vixen Polarie. Even the D4 will fit - a little more splay - in the supplied 1541 bag on the TTAA.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

Arca Swiss is really way out of my budget... but good to know there are more geared tripod head around. I haven't found many geared head, except those from Manfrotto and the Arca Swiss cube. Manfrotto heads are way too heavy, even heavier than Astrotrac's wedge (it feels lighter than it looks) and it use it's own QR plate. (That 2 combined are deal breakers).

And no, I don't want the tripod to have splay...since I often just put my tripod in my backpack...and with splay it would take up more space in the suitcase too(I usually travel with a very small one).

As for tripod... I would stick with what I have now, maybe until I purchase a 500mm lens (oh well, a used Nikon 500mm/4 P is actually affordable). I'm more interested in landscape than deep sky images and where I live doesn't have much chance to use star trackers anyway. Price tag aside, weight of bigger tripods is a big consideration too.

Dec 17, 2013 at 02:14 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

mhilbush wrote:
Wasn't the 1541T discontinued, and replaced by the 1542T?

And, the 1542T legs do fold back.

You're right on both counts. Not enough coffee yesterday... Off the top of my head, the 1542 legs do fold back but they don't cover the ballhead because it has a longer center column than the 1541.

Yes, the 1541T was replaced with the 1542T which in turn has been replaced by the 1544T. If you're wondering what happened to the 1543T well that's in a package that has some impossibly long model number that's a kit with a Gitzo ballhead. The usual Gitzo naming convention nightmare.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

ytwong wrote:
Thanks guys. The more I read, the more I think the Markins is actually a better head for general use....with much higher load capacity too.

If you have severe cold where you live (temp. in single digits in Boston today) think twice about the Markins. I've had three of the small ones and they lock up in the cold, and I followed the manufacturer's instructions about this issue assiduously. The reason I bought my Acratech was the open design that so far has dealt with extreme conditions very well.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Acratech GP-S ballhead and Gitzo 1541T?

Thanks for pointing that issue regarding low temperature... while I live in a relatively warm area (Hong Kong, positive single digit in C is considered VERY cold here), I am heading to a rather cold place for a upcoming trip in Feb (booked flight to Finland but I haven't planned where exactly I am going to, probably travel around the Baltic ).

I quite like the idea of Makin's idea of BV-head but it's not compatible with Q3TR.

Dec 17, 2013 at 09:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.