New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

I have not tried many Pano's and it has been years ago so very basic question.

I selected a 7 shot and opened in PS CC from LR5 - Selected the pano option in PS CC with all 7 selected and after processing they are shown on two backgrounds, not wrapped but separated. Changing the background size did not help.

I select 5 of the 7 and same results. I know this is basic but what am I missing? to get the entire selection to be "stetted" into one pano?

Thanks

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

You stated Pano option are you referring to menu File>Automate>Photomerge or some other third party plug-in. Photoshop Photoshop Photomerge will do what you describe when images do not contain sufficient overlap. You need somewhere between 10 to 40 percent overlap for Photmerge to work well in automatic mode. Also Photomerge does not support fisheye lens captured images.

I do not use LR and as far as I know LR can not stitch images it would need to pass the job off to some image editing program. LR is more an image developer then an editor.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

From LR?

Select your images and then right click and select "Edit In --> Merge To Panorama In Photoshop".

Everything should be automatic! You have to flatten your layers afterwards but that's it.

Dec 15, 2013 at 07:59 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

Mr Mouse wrote:
You stated Pano option are you referring to menu File>Automate>Photomerge or some other third party plug-in. Photoshop Photoshop Photomerge will do what you describe when images do not contain sufficient overlap. You need somewhere between 10 to 40 percent overlap for Photmerge to work well in automatic mode. Also Photomerge does not support fisheye lens captured images.

I do not use LR and as far as I know LR can not stitch images it would need to pass the job off to some image editing program. LR is more an image developer then an editor.

Yes I was using Photomerge and I will have to try some examples as I thought I had enough overlap but maybe not..

I am sure that is it.

Thank you.

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:11 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

Basics (no offense): you do shoot them left to right? Did you shot them in manual so the exposures are the same? (if not you might need a little exposure work to get them close). Did you use lens correction to reduce geometric distortion?

yet another suggestion. Select the images for a pano. Then export them to a new subdirectory with a smaller files size. In the export dialog instead of using explorer select .. "open with photoshop"

Then File-automate- photomerge. It works much, much faster. It allows you to do a variety of options without filing your hard drive.

If you like it, repeat it at full resolution.

Sometimes, my hand held panos resisted automated photomerge. It is decision time. Is it worth the time to free transform to get it together?

Dec 23, 2013 at 01:56 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

Shot order makes no difference. Or at least never has for me. Right to left, left to right, up or down, and even scattered all work identically.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

A couple of other thoughts.

Microsoft makes a nice free panorama stitcher. That might solve.

Otherwise, photomerge gets confused sometimes with exposure variations. If the images have different exposures or in some cases the lighting changes, the pano may not work. You can edit the exposure to get them close, sometimes that works.

Also, if you shoot near and far objects and are not careful, photomerge either fails or generates bad patches. When you move a camera the near objects and far objects can move different amounts visually. Move your head and see the close object "move." The fix is something called nodal point. that is a point between the sensor and front of the lens that is specific for focal lenght on zooms. long story short- hand held panos make this problem worse than tripod.

One pano that I printed large had extensive leaves very near, but the horizon was also important. I hand held it, and paid with hours of work.

Dec 25, 2013 at 06:04 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pano Basic Question PS CC - LR5

I'm finding the one in PS CC to be good enough now that 3rd party apps are no longer needed. Priorly I was using AutoPano Giga and the Pro versions.

So, if ya got CC that's all ya need IMO.

Dec 25, 2013 at 09:57 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.