Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Any experience with Ac9 adapter for alien bees

alskouba
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any experience with Ac9 adapter for alien bees

I am looking to use some strobes at hi speed sync(1/500 to 1/2000) for sports and shallow dept of field and a friend of mine told me it was possible with The ac9 adapter from PW.
I looked all over the web for some info or a review of them and nothing comes up
Even here on FM nothing comes up??

Could Somebody share their experience with these?
Thank's
Alexis

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:22 AM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any experience with Ac9 adapter for alien bees

Anybody

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any experience with Ac9 adapter for alien bees

AC9 is a Pocket Wizard add-on for AlienBee flashes. You must use PW TT5 or TT1 as your on camera transmitter to trigger the AC9 that plugs into the AB.

You can control the out put with an AC3 plugged into the top of the TT5/TT1 from camera position. The system works well for me.

Go to Pocket Wizard's website or youtube to find informational videos.

Dec 16, 2013 at 05:37 AM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any experience with Ac9 adapter for alien bees

Thank you. I had a look already at PW webstite and on youtube but it does not give me the info I need.
Do you have any personal experience with the system?
Any exemple of image taken with this set up?
Does it work as advertised?

The thing is I use the High speed sync with my canon flash and I find that when I use multiple flash they dont spark at the same time...
The result is there is a little softness
Here is an exemple.

cordellwillis wrote:
AC9 is a Pocket Wizard add-on for AlienBee flashes. You must use PW TT5 or TT1 as your on camera transmitter to trigger the AC9 that plugs into the AB.

You can control the out put with an AC3 plugged into the top of the TT5/TT1 from camera position. The system works well for me.

Go to Pocket Wizard's website or youtube to find informational videos.

100% crop

Dec 16, 2013 at 04:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any experience with Ac9 adapter for alien bees

I have the AC9 and AlienBee 1600 and several TT5s, but haven't had to use the AC9 since I first purchased it a year ago. However, when I did test it I was able to get shutter speeds of 800 ~ 1000 on a 5D and 7D before the shutter started appearing in the image. It takes some tweaking of the settings which I just never got around to doing. Since that time PW has had firmware updates that I believe made things a little easier to adjust but I have not messed around with it to find out because I have 5 Canon 550EX flashes that I gang together when I need more power and higher shutter speeds. I've never had an issue with firing them at the same time; they're all triggered by TT5 transceivers.

From what I have done in my very limited testing it seems as the system can provide higher shutter speeds than the camera's sync speed but I don't think 8000, or even 4000 is possible.

If I have time within the next couple of days I can pull out my gear to play around with it again.

Cordell

Dec 16, 2013 at 07:14 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any experience with Ac9 adapter for alien bees

Fist, the process is Hyper Sync, not High Speed Sync as with Speedlights. The PW web site has plenty of info and videos on this. I use the ST-4 for Elinchrom and it's works perfectly. So, I'm sure the CA-9 works well also. The key to it is to have a a strobe with a slow flash duration. As others have mentioned you will also need a TT-1 or TT-5. And you can get up to 1,4000 if the strobe is slow enough.

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:05 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any experience with Ac9 adapter for alien bees

Basically, the way Hypersync works is you can slightly shift the flash sync sooner or later to center your shutter opening within a long duration flash burst. What you're doing is essentially using a temporary constant light source. Example: if your strobe has a 1/800th flash duration you can fire a shorter duration shutter opening while the strobe is illuminated, say 1/1600th, and have some "extra" light before and after your shutter opens. However, you don't get the normal amount of flash power as you would if the entire flash duration happened within the opening and closing of your shutter. The TT1 or TT5 allow you to tune the timing.

Dec 19, 2013 at 04:01 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password