Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

In case people haven't heard, Apple just announced it will be available tomorrow (thursday). Not yet sure if just preorders but hopefully after this crazy wait they will have stock of the two base configs and build to orders will only take a week or so. Still haven't decided on what I'm going to buy but I am not in a rush either.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

I just want to see if it is possible to spec one up over $10k....

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

15Bit wrote:
I just want to see if it is possible to spec one up over $10k....

+1

Dec 18, 2013 at 02:08 PM
zquaratella
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

Bifurcator wrote:
I can't be blunt? How else should I refer to folks who make comments from an extremely limited frame of reference and who can't or refuse to learn or consider about existing alternatives? Should I have to spell that out each time? I think "retard" defines that condition quite well. People who can't think, learn, or consider all the information readily available. Yup, sounds like "retard" to me. <shrug> The worst part about it is that they all get together in support groups and justify, support, and uphold each other's retiredness - and MR is a perfect example of that.

It's
...Show more

Bifurcator,

How about bigoted? Or ignorant? Those are a good words to describe a person who can't "think, learn, or consider all the information readily available." Using a backwards word like "retard" or "retarded" might be described as "bigoted" or "ignorant" as well.

I know that you mean no harm to people like myself who love persons with disabilities, but words are upsetting even without actions. I have a lot of respect for your posts and lurk here often, so I wanted to let you know that when I read this I was disappointed. Please do consider changing your thinking on this topic.

Zack

Dec 18, 2013 at 02:30 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

OWC has released their RAM 32GB for $479 or 64GB for $895. The current upgrade estimates direct from Apple are at $400 and $1600 so something smells fishy. Maybe that 1600 was a poor estimate. That was from this MR story a few days ago: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/16/mac-pro-build-to-order-upgrade-pricing-revealed/

And link to OWC: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#1866-memory

OWC will also give you $75 for your 12GB or $100 for your 16GB in the base models bringing the upgrade pricing even lower.

Dec 18, 2013 at 03:46 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

Well the darn thing is finally available (to order anyways), ships in January in Canada and if you go stock you can get it Dec 30th in US, otherwise Jan also if you customize. OWC is the way to go for RAM upgrades as Apple is charging $1200 to go from 16GB to 64GB and $1300 to go from 12GB to 64GB. To get to 32GB it is either $400 or $500.

It only really makes sense to start with the 4-core option and upgrade the graphics and SSD and cores from there. Then sell your 12GB to OWC for $75 and purchase either your 32GB at $404 or 64GB at $820.

Dec 19, 2013 at 05:18 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

I'm now thinking about buying 2 16GB sticks from Crucial ($440) and then using them alongside two of the stock 4GB sticks for a total 40GB and an easier upgrade path to 64GB (buying 2 more 16GB sticks) in the future instead of having to trash 4x8GB if I go with the build-to-order 32GB from Apple or OWC.

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:09 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

Hmm, need to add a screen to get over $10k. How disappointing - only $9599 for the fully specc'd paper bin...

I like "2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache [Add $3,500.00]"....

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:09 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

15Bit wrote:
Hmm, need to add a screen to get over $10k. How disappointing - only $9599 for the fully specc'd paper bin...

I like "2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache [Add $3,500.00]"....

Yeah...the 8 and 12 cores really take the pricing into another realm. No need for any of that for photography. But for the people who can make use of the cores then it will make sense. Over on MRs a lot of people are ordering the 12 core.

I still can't get over how crazy small this thing is. 6" diameter and 9" tall....that is sooooo tiny!!

Dec 19, 2013 at 08:26 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

zquaratella wrote:
Bifurcator,

I know that you mean no harm to people like myself who love persons with disabilities, but words are upsetting even without actions. I have a lot of respect for your posts and lurk here often, so I wanted to let you know that when I read this I was disappointed. Please do consider changing your thinking on this topic.

Zack

OK, point taken. I'll try to remember to choose different words for that then. I guess "ignorant fanboy" or maybe "Reality Distortion Field Dwellers" is actually more accurate anyway.

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:52 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

I spec'd out a 4 core/32GB/512GB/D500 with Applecare for $4080 on my universities tech store. While that is a nice sounding machine I've also got to add about $1800 for storage and another $1300 for a monitor. Wow, it adds up. That's the cost of a new 300/2.8 IS II.

Availability is now February so I have some time to think about it.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New MacPro for photography...who's up for it?

Bifurcator wrote:
>snip< I guess "ignorant fanboy" or maybe "Reality Distortion Field Dwellers" is actually more accurate anyway.

Thanks!

Hi Bifurcator,

While you will have to make your case for the use of the word "ignorant", I do kinda like the sound of "Reality Distortion Field Dweller"...my next tee-shirt, if you'll allow me to borrow it?!

Jimmy G

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:51 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.