1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · No 7DII...

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · No 7DII...

ggreene wrote:
With Canon's pricing of late, I don't see a 40MP high DR sensor body with 8FPS coming in at 5D3 prices. Just like I don't see an updated 100-400 or a new 14-24 coming in below $3K. Feel free to hold out for hope though.

If I asked you how much a camera with the sepcs of the 5D III would be, before it came out I'll bet you also would have said $5K; IMO it's a better camera other than build than the 1Ds III. A 40MP sensor isn't going to cost any more than a 22MP sensor, it already has 1 series AF, the only extra cost might come from needing dual digic 6 to achieve say 6-8fps, but that could possibly be absorbed in the current cost. After all 7D didn't cost a bomb with its dual digic 4.

Dec 15, 2013 at 03:16 AM
jctriguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · No 7DII...

Rickuz wrote:
Might as well skip it. Now that full frame is "affordable" to everyone, why buy a crop body?

Crop sensors will always be inferior to FF.

Are you just stirring up endless pissing matches??

Lots of reasons for a 7D series camera with crop sensor.

Dec 15, 2013 at 03:17 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · No 7DII...

Pixel Perfect wrote:
If I asked you how much a camera with the sepcs of the 5D III would be, before it came out I'll bet you also would have said $5K; IMO it's a better camera other than build than the 1Ds III. A 40MP sensor isn't going to cost any more than a 22MP sensor, it already has 1 series AF, the only extra cost might come from needing dual digic 6 to achieve say 6-8fps, but that could possibly be absorbed in the current cost. After all 7D didn't cost a bomb with its dual digic 4.

Isn't the sensor the most expensive component in a DSLR? If we assume that Canon will release a totally new high MP high DR sensor you don't think that they will want to recoup their development cost? I'm just going on what Canon has done recently to other "updated" gear for pricing.

Dec 15, 2013 at 07:27 AM
Paul Hokanson
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · No 7DII...

24 MP for added cropping and focusing at f8 and I would buy one without a second thought.

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:22 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · No 7DII...

ggreene wrote:
With Canon's pricing of late, I don't see a 40MP high DR sensor body with 8FPS coming in at 5D3 prices. Just like I don't see an updated 100-400 or a new 14-24 coming in below $3K. Feel free to hold out for hope though.

Maybe not, but Nikon will do it then. D800 already does 4fps at 36MP and that will be a number of years old by the time 5D4 drops. D800 also does 5fps at APS-H and, with a grip, 6fps at APS-C cropping.

Dec 15, 2013 at 04:58 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · No 7DII...

skibum5 wrote:
If it means an 8fps 39MP 5D4 then yay!!!!

39MP/8fps would create 300-400 MBs of data per second.
Doesn't seem very practical.

But what if the 5D4 has a 30mp/6fps FF sensor that also supports a 20mp/8fps crop mode (1.3x).
That would make the 5D4 a 2-in-1 proposition: a hi-res FF camera that doubles as an APS-H sports camera.
Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds .
If I was Canon, that's what I'd do.

As for the 7DII, I don't see it happening either.

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · No 7DII...

^ Too radical for Canon, I think.

Dec 15, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · No 7DII...

jorkata wrote:

But what if the 5D4 has a 30mp/6fps FF sensor that also supports a 20mp/8fps crop mode (1.3x).
That would make the 5D4 a 2-in-1 proposition: a hi-res FF camera that doubles as an APS-H sports camera.

Dual digic 6's could easily cope with that. Canon will be 39MP for sure for video reasons alone.

The 7D II is coming, it just won't be called a 7D II, that's all Canonwatch is saying. Hell it might be called a 7D X or 7D C if they keep the 7 series name alive. Or they might start a whole new naming scheme, which will eventually be adopted across the range, except maybe 1 series. That would be stupid to rename a brand they have built up over 20 years.

Dec 16, 2013 at 03:58 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · No 7DII...

jorkata wrote:

No way it has just 30MP. The D800 is years old and already does 36MP and 4fps and 1.3x crop at 5fps.
It might do 39MP for video binning (unless they go 30MP and dual digic and read the entire sensor and off-sensor downscale like the 1DX does in certain modes).

If 8fps is too much, maybe it does 6fps 39MP and 8fps 1.3x and 1.6x crop modes.

Do keep in mind again though that his sounds like a 2015 arrival and needs to last another few years so a big jump compared to Nikon, which has had slower processors to begin with, would not be a huge surprise though. This is arriving YEARS after the D800 did 36MP at 4fps and 21MP at 5fps (and, with grip, 16MP at 6fps, also note the 5D3 already managed 22MP at 6fps so it could've driven 36MP at 3.6fps and given all the time 39MP at 6fps by the time it arrives certainly sounds absolutely reasonable, certainly 5.5fps and if they were 'so daring' as to put dual digic in the next 5 as they have done with the 7 already then it could easily do 8fps without question.)

Dec 16, 2013 at 05:53 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.