New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Moon Photography Help Needed

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moon Photography Help Needed

I find myself in the Midwest, snowed & iced in. I normally shoot landscape, but my wife suggested I try some "Full Moon" shots, with & without foreground. The full moon is December 17th so I am scouting areas and selecting equipment. I will be using the 5DIII with the Canon 200 f1.8 (plus 1.4X & 2X) or the Canon 400 f5.6. Having never used the 400 f5.6 can I expect image quality in the 200 f1.8 + 2X range, or better?? Option two is to use the Canon 7D with one, or both lens setups. For moon shots would this be of any advantage due to increased focal length?? Thank you so much for any input you are willing to share. God Bless, Jim

Edited on Dec 14, 2013 at 07:17 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2013 at 09:48 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moon Photography Help Needed

Well...up front...you may want to consider a smaller zoom....like a 70-200 or

Reason being, you stated you are not just after the 'moon'.....this means that you'll most likely be closer to the earthly object and will want to frame it in and place the moon in a position that compliments the stationary object.

Using the power of what you suggested....will work if your earthly object is FAR away...but then it all depends on your 'vision' that you wish to capture.

Image quality on the 400 will be fine...but again...your also looking at longer exposure times and to whatever focal length you use....using length will require solid tripod, cable release to assure sharp images. This is where a shorter prime or zoom will assist better.

Remember...the moon is MOVING....so you may find that you will do a shot for exposure on the moon (major light source) and then do a long exposure for the surroundings...then blend/merge.

I'd stick with the 5DMKIII...the only thing the 7D brings to the table is the reach of the crop factor..and again...go up to the previous sentence and only you and the location can determine if needed.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moon Photography Help Needed

use the 7d with the 400 5.6 would be your best quality I think and add the 1.4 if you want a bit more magnification. you are snowed in in Missouri Try North Dakota!

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moon Photography Help Needed

Hi Jim,

I found the 200/1.8L + 2xII Extender was prone to "halo" effects, which might affect a moon shot. The 2x III Extender is much less susceptible. OTOH, I expect the 400/5.6L "straight up" will be better (I haven't used the 400/5.6L).

Here's an evening moon shot I did this summer with 1DX + 500/4L IS + 2x III, uncropped. At 1000mm, this is a little "closer" that you'll get with 7D + 400mm (equiv. 640mm), but it should be nice and bright, so it'll take some PP with little fuss.

P.S. the sky colour looks 'better' when I view it locally with PS or IrfanView, than it shows from FM - same monitor.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moon Photography Help Needed

If your moon photo is "moon plus other stuff" - as in a landscape that includes the moon - the major decision point might be the landscape itself rather than the size of the moon in the frame. You have some focal length flexibility with your two long prime telephotos, and the 400 should be fine for getting a reasonably detailed close shot, though the moon will not come close to filling the frame at that focal length.

In case you haven't already figured this out, it is often best to photograph the moon during morning or evening twilight rather than in the actual night. There are tricky exposure issues when it is very dark out.

Dan

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moon Photography Help Needed

onesickpuppy wrote:
Well...up front...you may want to consider a smaller zoom....like a 70-200 or

Reason being, you stated you are not just after the 'moon'.....this means that you'll most likely be closer to the earthly object and will want to frame it in and place the moon in a position that compliments the stationary object.

Using the power of what you suggested....will work if your earthly object is FAR away...but then it all depends on your 'vision' that you wish to capture.

Image quality on the 400 will be fine...but again...your also looking at longer exposure times and to whatever focal length you use....using
...Show more

Rod, Thank you. At this point in time I am visualizing compositions with / without foreground. Therefore, all the information you provided is valuable. Thank you. Jim

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Moon Photography Help Needed

JohnBrose wrote:
use the 7d with the 400 5.6 would be your best quality I think and add the 1.4 if you want a bit more magnification. you are snowed in in Missouri Try North Dakota!

North Dakota is TOOOOOOO cold & snowy for this boy. Having lived in Texas the last 12 years I am having enough problems with this cold spell. Thank you for the information. Jim

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Moon Photography Help Needed

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Jim,

I found the 200/1.8L + 2xII Extender was prone to "halo" effects, which might affect a moon shot. The 2x III Extender is much less susceptible. OTOH, I expect the 400/5.6L "straight up" will be better (I haven't used the 400/5.6L).

Here's an evening moon shot I did this summer with 1DX + 500/4L IS + 2x III, uncropped. At 1000mm, this is a little "closer" that you'll get with 7D + 400mm (equiv. 640mm), but it should be nice and bright, so it'll take some PP with little fuss.

P.S. the sky colour looks 'better' when I view it
...Show more

Thank you Jim. I frequently feel my colors are slightly different here, as opposed to my home PS image. Never thought of "Halo's" as a potential problem. How about the moon shot with the 400 f5.6 and the foreground with the 200 f1.8. I would then blend. Do you see any advantage to this? Thank you, Jim

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:44 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Moon Photography Help Needed

gdanmitchell wrote:
If your moon photo is "moon plus other stuff" - as in a landscape that includes the moon - the major decision point might be the landscape itself rather than the size of the moon in the frame. You have some focal length flexibility with your two long prime telephotos, and the 400 should be fine for getting a reasonably detailed close shot, though the moon will not come close to filling the frame at that focal length.

In case you haven't already figured this out, it is often best to photograph the moon during morning or evening twilight rather than
...Show more

Dan; I have to plead ignorance when it comes to "Moon Shots". This is something I have never done. I take from your reply that late evening / early morning are somewhat easier to photograph? As I ask Jim (above) is there any advantage to shooting the moon with the 400 f5.6 and blending with an foreground image taken with the 200 f1.8? I am looking at framing a foreground image in front of an enormous moon. Thank you, Jim

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM
voltaire
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Moon Photography Help Needed

Hi Jim,
I love to shoot the moon. Dan is right, moonrise and moonsets with the moon at 2 to 3 degrees above the horizon is ideal because there would still be enough light for your foreground. To get your large moon, you need to find your designated foreground and move 2 or 3 miles where you can see the moon. I use TPE which is free or donate (The Photographer's Ephemeris) to find my landmarks with the moon rising or setting. PM me for details.

Your 400mm should be enough to bring it close; if you can add a 1.4x that would be better. As a reference you can see some of my moonshots from my website -- http://www.voltaireyap.com/NightPhotography/Moonshots-Bay-Area

Good luck, Jim.

Dec 14, 2013 at 02:01 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Moon Photography Help Needed

voltaire wrote:
Hi Jim,
I love to shoot the moon. Dan is right, moonrise and moonsets with the moon at 2 to 3 degrees above the horizon is ideal because there would still be enough light for your foreground. To get your large moon, you need to find your designated foreground and move 2 or 3 miles where you can see the moon. I use TPE which is free or donate (The Photographer's Ephemeris) to find my landmarks with the moon rising or setting. PM me for details.

Your 400mm should be enough to bring it close; if you can add a 1.4x
...Show more

Jim; Wow, your moon shots are great. I will check out that program. Again, thank you, Jim

Dec 14, 2013 at 03:04 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Moon Photography Help Needed

Some feel the moon is better to shoot at less than full, more shadows, more dramatic moonscape.

Dec 14, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Moon Photography Help Needed

oldrattler wrote:
I find myself in the Midwest, snowed & iced in. I normally shoot landscape, but my wife suggested I try some "Full Moon" shots, with & without foreground. The full moon is November 17th so I am scouting areas and selecting equipment. I will be using the 5DIII with the Canon 200 f1.8 (plus 1.4X & 2X) or the Canon 400 f5.6. Having never used the 400 f5.6 can I expect image quality in the 200 f1.8 + 2X range, or better?? Option two is to use the Canon 7D with one, or both lens setups. For moon shots would
...Show more

Longer is better 400/5.6 should be fine, you need smallest aperture anyway. My sweet apperture is F11 for moon shots. You would need tripod, shutter release cable and use of spot metering. I do handheld shots too, most of them are OK but with tripod and live view you could make it perfectly focused. I would suggest to use M (manual) camera mode and spot metering only, otherwise camera would produce some weird exposures. Take lots of shots with different exposure settings and ISO, not all will be good anyway Post processing with right sharpening is important, contrast and levels are important too.

Some very old shot I did with 40D and don't remember which lens , not perfect but I like it.

http://lennyshprekher.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v34/p816408694-5.jpg

Edited on Dec 14, 2013 at 04:30 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:10 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Moon Photography Help Needed

John_T wrote:
Some feel the moon is better to shoot at less than full, more shadows, more dramatic moonscape.

Nice image John. As this will be my first attempt at the moon I have a preconceived idea on what I am after. Once I get that I am certain I will try all moon phases. Thank you, Jim

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:24 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Moon Photography Help Needed

Breitling65 wrote:
Longer is better 400/5.6 should be fine, you need smallest aperture anyway. My sweet apperture is F11 for moon shots. You would need tripod, shutter release cable and use of spot metering. I do handheld shots too, most of them are OK but with tripod and live view you could make it perfectly focused. I would suggest to use M (manual) camera mode and spot metering only, otherwise camera would produce some weird exposures. Take lots of shots with different exposure settings and ISO, not all will be good anyway Post processing with right sharpening is important, contrast
...Show more

I will be using a very stable tripod with cable release, mirror lock-up. and all manual, as you suggest. Thank you, Jim

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:26 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Moon Photography Help Needed

Jim, You made me smile. I got my 300 2.8 on a Sunday, Ha, Remember?? then on Friday the 2 x arrived. I was playing with it and just walked out and shot this. No tripod, no long exposure, just shot the picture because I didn't want to wait until the next day to try it out . Made me really appreciate the 300 with the 2x..

I will have to read up on all the advice on here for moon shots as well as I've never really done them either. I did manage to capture the milky way one night while out playing.

Oh, and it's cold, wet and messy here but roads are fine so far. We did get a covering of snow last night.

Merry Christmas to you and Jean and would love to see your moon shots when you're done.

Kathy

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Moon Photography Help Needed

oldrattler wrote:
The full moon is November 17th

Well you have nearly a year to prepare.

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:36 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Moon Photography Help Needed

Here's a slight crop of the same image I posted above, converted to B&W.

Dec 14, 2013 at 06:15 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Moon Photography Help Needed

Just thought I would put in a word for perhaps using a shorter telephoto, particularly on broken cloudy nights which are my favourite time to photograph the moon. Here's a recent one, 5D2, 24-105 @ 105.

Large version:

http://www.nightfolio.co.uk/subpages/la23d.html

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:05 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Moon Photography Help Needed

PCKit wrote:
Jim, You made me smile. I got my 300 2.8 on a Sunday, Ha, Remember?? then on Friday the 2 x arrived. I was playing with it and just walked out and shot this. No tripod, no long exposure, just shot the picture because I didn't want to wait until the next day to try it out . Made me really appreciate the 300 with the 2x..

I will have to read up on all the advice on here for moon shots as well as I've never really done them either. I did manage to capture the milky way one
...Show more

Your killing me Kathy. Every time I step outside an snap a shot I get nothing worth showing. We have had 5-6 days of snow, rain, ice, and sleet. The roads are horrible. I am trying to remember why I left Texas. Thank you, Jim

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:15 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.