Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
       23       24       end

Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final ro...

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #1 · p.22 #1 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Brilliant shots everyone! I am not a wildlife photographer, but my butt itches to be a part of this great thread

NIKON D7100    120.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/640s    560 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    280mm    f/6.3    1/250s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

NIKON D600    200.0 mm f/2.0 lens    200mm    f/2.0    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.22 #2 · p.22 #2 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Wonderful additions Buckeye, the pursuit of the gulls is a very cool shot
Nice assortment of shots Hussain I don't think I have ever seen a Red-tailed on a ladder before The Anhinga is a wonderful shot

Tim

Jan 12, 2014 at 03:11 PM
Buckeye1
• • •
p.22 #3 · p.22 #3 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Thanks! Those are the only ones I gave ever done as far as fast moving objects. Mi look forward to learn and shoot more. May be when I get out there to the PNW, then I can look you up!

Jan 12, 2014 at 09:07 PM
Buckeye1
• • •
p.22 #4 · p.22 #4 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

They look great to me! Keep it up.

hijazist wrote:
Brilliant shots everyone! I am not a wildlife photographer, but my butt itches to be a part of this great thread

Jan 12, 2014 at 09:09 PM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.22 #5 · p.22 #5 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Greetings fellow FMers. Lots of great work here and thanks to Tim for kicking it off. 2013 was a very busy year for me finally getting back to work in architecture while also maintaining a part-time bus driving position. I didn't really have a lot of time for shooting except on the weekends. Here are a few of my favorites from the year.

First is from one of my favorite local haunts in the Skagit Valley. I was hoping to get some looks at the Short-eared Owls, but they didn't start hunting until after the light was gone. The Harriers had been pretty active and The evening light was perfect.

Second is from the Washington Park Arboretum's Japanese Garden. The fall colors can be pretty nice here and I managed to hit it a couple days during the peak.

And finally, I made my first trips over to Seabeck on Hood Canal to capture the Bald Eagles. I'd read about in years prior and made it a point to get over there this year.

Happy New Year everyone and hope to spend a little more time here in the coming months.

JayT

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.22 #6 · p.22 #6 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

@JayT - long time no hear Jay! GLAD to hear you are back at work!

Great images, especially the last shot!

Jan 13, 2014 at 03:07 AM
Thang
• • • • •
p.22 #7 · p.22 #7 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

@Buckeyes - I love the 3D effect in the 2nd image!!!

Jan 13, 2014 at 03:08 AM
Buckeye1
• • •
p.22 #8 · p.22 #8 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Thank you...I can assure you it was unintentional of my part 😛

I shot it with the 700-200L II and the 1D IV.

Thang wrote:
@Buckeyes - I love the 3D effect in the 2nd image!!!

Jan 13, 2014 at 03:12 AM
Desert Drake
• • • • •
p.22 #9 · p.22 #9 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Thanks, Tim. This is quite the treat to view all of these magnificent photos.
Al Hansen

I will add one picture taken in my front yard in 2013.

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:33 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.22 #10 · p.22 #10 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

There you are Jay! Great to see you stopping by (the fishing must be slow today ) Super set Jay, I'm loving the Harrier and wishing for the THAT eagle season (WE have so many ) I have never been to the Japanese Gardens, shots like this really make me want to go. Great stuff my friend!!!
Wow Al, what beautiful light and perfectly focused subject to go along with it. We haven't seen your work for a while, it's great that you stopped by and joined the fun

Tim

Edited on Jan 14, 2014 at 02:12 AM · View previous versions

Jan 13, 2014 at 01:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BeeBalm
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #11 · p.22 #11 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Hi PhotoFriends,

It's truly wonderful that our FM N&W Party is still going on

Part 22 of my favorite of your three captures!!

204. Buckeye1
First Photo is gorgeous with an awesome background!!

205. hijazist
Second Photo is a great shot!!

206. Sirfishalot
Garden is magnificent!!

207. Desert Drake
Bird is beautiful!!

So far around 621 captures in our thread

BeeBalm

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:56 PM
senna4ever
• • •
p.22 #12 · p.22 #12 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Here is a shot of the rarest bird in North America: the Red-Flanked Bluetail. This was the first and only time it has ever been recorded in Canada.

Short Eared Owl on a fence screaming. I try to avoid man made objects in my wildlife photos, but I thought the barbed wire heightened the tension along with the angry expression on the owl's face.

Sandhill Crane colt, which unfortunately was found dead the day after I took this photo.

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:42 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.22 #13 · p.22 #13 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Gone for a month (to Spain) and I have a tons of catching up to do, I've missed so many of your stunning images and now have pages and pages to review .... this one thread has already occupied me for hours and my wife no longer responds to my calls of "come and see this one", in fact she's shut and bolted the door to the lounge so I can't go and get her either !

I'm now 2 years into my birding & photography adventure and am often caught in between 'birding' and 'photography'. I logged nearly 600 species this year (oh OK 592 ... but who's counting) But missed out on some great shots because I haven't shown half the dedication to the shot (rather than the bird) that you guys have. Things must change !! 2014 is a year for quality not quantity.

However everytime I think I'm getting the hang of this then you guys post something that hits me like a train (or in the case of this thread - a jumbo jet) ! To those inhabiting my favourite forum on the net ... many many thanks for the past year, your shots have truly been an inspiration not only to my bird photography but to get my backside out of the chair and travel more - which meant I had an awesome year ! I wish you all have a stunning 2014, both in life and photography, and especially manage to capture all the shots you are most desirous of.

Anyway here are 3 that I love, maybe not on the level of most in this thread but I picked these because they will be different (and location-wise more difficult for you lot to emulate ) being from rather more exotic climes

A beautiful Bell Bird from the island of Tiri Tiri Matangi, New Zealand (all the birds/wildlife on the island are wild but are native NZ fauna with the island protecting then from, and irradicating, all foreign fauna/flora). Hence they have caught and ringed as many of the birds as they can.

The threatened and extremely rare Brown Eared Pheasant. Though can usually be found rather easily if you are prepared to travel to a monastery in the mountains near Tai Yuan, Northern China - which is what I did for this shot. This bird was nearly as surprised as I was when it came crashing out of the undergrowth and stood it's ground calling loud and clear that this was his territory !

A female Orangutan from Sabah, Borneo. I was birding in the rainforest when I heard the crashing of humongous leaves from a few hundred metres away. On arriving at where I had thought the commotion emanated from, this young lady dropped down from the tree tops just 15 m away from me. Incredible eye-to-eye contact followed for what seemed like minutes but was probably just 20-30 secs, before she then gathered up a mouthful of figs and disappeared back into the canopy. Awesome ! I got off nearly a hundred shots but my metering was all over the place in the dim under-canopy and my hands were surely shaking like a cicada in mating season It's FAR from perfect, in fact it's not a good shot, actually none of those shots were that sharp ! There's motion blur (1/60, 1000ISO, f3.2) and it's soft (impossible to print at larger than A4) ... but to me the tears well up when I think back to that unforgettable, probably once in a lifetime, moment.

Edited on Jan 14, 2014 at 01:19 PM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2014 at 01:00 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.22 #14 · p.22 #14 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Frogfish, really like the story about the orangutan. And as for the shot, it looks pretty darn good to me! Well done for that once in a life time encounter!

Regards.....Pete

Jan 14, 2014 at 01:09 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.22 #15 · p.22 #15 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Wonderful additions senna4ever. The super rarity makes the set extra special
Wow Kevin what wonderful stories to go along with your exotic shots. First, it's a great to see you back The rarely seen on the forum element makes these shots just that much more special. I can't imagine hearing a sound, looking up and seeing that, wow!

Tim

Jan 14, 2014 at 01:39 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.22 #16 · p.22 #16 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

The incredibly good stuff continues to pile up in this post. Makes me want to keep learning! Excellent set Kevin. Your bad Pongo pygmaeus shot is super. What agility!

Jan 15, 2014 at 03:51 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.22 #17 · p.22 #17 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Taken with a 70-200mm VRII with 2xIII wide open @ 5.6

Jan 15, 2014 at 03:22 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.22 #18 · p.22 #18 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Great addition Hardcore

Tim

Jan 16, 2014 at 01:33 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.22 #19 · p.22 #19 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Hi PhotoFriemds,
Happy Mid-January to you all

Here is part 23 of my favorite of your three captures!!

207. senna4ever
Bluetail is so dainty!!

208. FrogFish
Orangutan is a dream shot!!

209. Hardcore
Snowy is gorgeous!!!

So far around 630 captures in this great thread!!

We all here I know is enjoying this thread so much, so let's keep the 🎂🍰🎉🎈🎈🎁🎁PARTY going

Cheers!
BeeBalm

Jan 16, 2014 at 09:18 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.22 #20 · p.22 #20 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Good gracious, some of these images ought to be in Nat Geo or Audubon! Thanks, everybody, for such inspiring work. I'm late to the party ... and totally intimidated. I've been shooting outdoors for not even a year yet, so I'm still finding my way. But I'm looking at this like being back in high school and forcing myself to get in front of class to deliver my report.

The most important thing I've learned so far is patience - to learn and observe behavior, scope out a scene, to visualize a "picture," then go make it. I really had to get over being giddy just to get a bird or animal in focus. So here goes:

1.) Collaborators: Sometimes you don't have to travel far. This took place in my backyard. To anthropomorphize, I saw a lot of pairs of Cedar Waxwings who seemed to be watching the back of a buddy while he/she was feeding. With their "masks," these guys looked like they were pulling a heist.

2.) Swallow Your Pride: This is the first capture that I first visualized while staking out a scene. It took a couple of hours for it to repeat the way I first saw it. To me, this looked like an angry parent chirping (of course) at a late-arriving child.

3.) Early Bird: After watching a huge flock of Western Sandpipers and Dunlins chase waves, I set myself low in the sand and waited until they simply got used to me and inched close enough to make a picture like this. Seeing one this way almost make you forget how really tiny they are.

Two Cedar Waxwings pull off a heist at a Mountain Ash in Seattle.

Somebody didn't set their alarm clock - Tree Swallows on Spencer Island.

A Western Sandpiper finds breakfast at Ocean Shores, Wash.

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:34 AM
       23       24       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

23       24       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password