Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3              23       24       end

Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final ro...

harshaj1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Beautiful and inspiring work everybody.
These are few of my favorites from 2013.
Harsha

Edited on Dec 14, 2013 at 08:15 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Candor
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's shots from this year and if the ones so far are an indication this will be a great thread. Excellent work folks.

I took this shot of a diving Osprey on the James River this spring. Unfortunately, he had somehow managed to impale a talon from his right leg into his upper leg/chest area making the leg useless. He was however a great hunter and caught several fish over a few hour period.

One from the Pond and I liked the light and background on this one.

I took this one on my annual trip to Florida. I ran across this group of Cattle Egrets late in the day and singled out this one with some others in the distance. I just like the feel of this shot.

Mike

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:57 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Twenty thirteen was an interesting year. It was a milestone year that comes with some though provoking emotions. Coming to grips with being on the back 9 is not easy but fortunately I am pretty healthy excepting the aches and pains that go along with having matured somewhat. I made new friends here on FM and cemented relationships that had been growing for some time. I appreciate Tim's words that he shared with you and more than that those he shared with me.
Hopefully my sideways humor has added to rather than detracted from the forum but if it hasn't...tough $#!+ After all this is social media...I do hope the lurkers become contributors as it is too all our benefit.
My photography may not have gotten better but if it is possible, my passion for it has grown exponentially. I know I am lucky to be able to travel and see what I do and often worry that posting from these exotic places is too much....hopefully you all know that I never do this "in your face" but truly that I love to share what I have seen.
The past year has seen ups and downs for many of us and I hope 2014 brings health, happiness, joy and many many gigabytes of spectacular images.
Picking images from the past year has been particularly difficult not because I have so many amazing shots but because it was a year of firsts or "finally!" or just because patience sometimes pays off big time. So the three I picked cover that...
btw, if you read all the dribble you just wasted about a minute of your life that you will never get back...sorry
Eric

After many, many safaris I finally got the shot I wanted...and it was one of the first 3 shots of the trip!

After 7 hours...MAGIC!

Jaguar mother and cub in Pantanal, Brazil

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

I wouldn't want to be the new guy showing up here and seeing this caliber of work to match up to
However 'to the new guy/gal' we all started somewhere to get here so make a point to get involved on this forum this year, you will be glad you did!

It gives me great pleasure to see this work and to see everyone proud of their work

Hmmm, I will have to dig for a few to share...............................
Karl

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Karl Witt wrote:
I wouldn't want to be the new guy showing up here and seeing this caliber of work to match up to
However 'to the new guy/gal' we all started somewhere to get here so make a point to get involved on this forum this year, you will be glad you did!

It gives me great pleasure to see this work and to see everyone proud of their work

Hmmm, I will have to dig for a few to share...............................
Karl

My man.

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:18 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Thanks for starting this thread, Tim.
These are all so wonderful that I'm going to pace myself: One page per day .
Charlie

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:26 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Those Jaguars are just brilliant Eric!

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:38 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

From one of my very few trips to the wild this year....

Who Goes There!

Canon EOS 7D    EF500mm f/4L IS USM lens    500mm    f/4.0    1/320s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Lazy Monday Morning

Canon EOS 7D    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    200mm    f/5.6    1/40s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Road Block in Wilpathu

Canon EOS 7D    EF500mm f/4L IS USM lens    500mm    f/4.0    1/250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Dec 25, 2013 at 08:52 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

A great year of great fun creating pictures. Thank you for all your encouragement and all the great pictures you take that inspire me.

1) Was from April. I was taking a landscape after and unsucessful morning and I saw something move in the visor - wolf pack. They stayed far away and then started moving south. I drove to the nearest opening and waited. Unexpectedly the big alpha must have thought I was challenging him because he kept coming nearer and appearded to be stalking me. I had lost sight of the other 8 or so so I backed up into my car and he came up to the car and I took pictures out the window from about 5'. Then he went away and I got out and the wolves howled from every direction around me. It was a fantastic and scary encounter. I recorded the wolf howls around me and I wish I could play them with the pictures - a project for another day.

2) Was from the early season in Kananskis. The bears usually eat dandelions first. This young guy was chowing them down as I got closer. Anyway its meaning to me was the start of a great summer.

3) The Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep is not my favorite subject because they are too easy to find. But this guy got into just the right position and the light was magical. Anyway its meaning to me is the end of a great summer.

Scott

Alpha Male wolf hunting me on the Kootenay National Park Highway. It was scary and fantastic.

Canon EOS 7D    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x lens    840mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Young Grizzly in Kananaskis Country - First good week of Bears in the Year with my then new 200-400

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens    400mm    f/4.0    1/320s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep - Closing in on the end of the Season

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT lens    560mm    f/5.6    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:50 PM
canadajim
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Awesome and inspiring. Here are my favourite three of the year.

Thanks for sharing and taking a look at mine!

Jim

Baby Golden-mantled ground squirrels

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/7.1    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Baby pika

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/7.1    1/250s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Coyote

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x lens    700mm    f/8.0    1/8000s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosin
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

3 shots from me that come to mind:

#1 Great Gray Owl taken by my wife

#2 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - my favorite songbird of the Spring Migration 2013

#3 Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to part II of this thread, to share some more of my favorites

Greg Gard

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:19 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

arbitrage wrote:
Wow, Morris, I never saw these ones before, maybe you didn't post them before but I had to comment and say they are just spectacular. I especially like the 1st and 2nd. The 2nd is my absolute favourite.

Geoff

Thank you Geoff,

All have been posted in the past year. I had a good idea what others would post so I chose photos that I love and are difrent.

Morris

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Not even sure if I should be posting with the likes of you guys. Some great work has been displayed here.

Bill

Desert Coyote, Death Valley NP

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

mabidally wrote:
Those Jaguars are just brilliant Eric!

Thanks so much Mohammed...I could hardly believe we got the opportunity to see cubs. Glad to see you got to photograph some of your local leopards....lucky you to have them so close! Wonderful shots!
Eric

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Oh my Thang, killer work my friend!!! I can't even choose between the three!
Beauties Mike
Great job Matt, the Sandy look is so dreamlike, almost like underwater
Geoff, 2 is sooooo dramatic wow! Magpies are NOT easy, super shot, love that tail!
ALL eagles Ted ? I thought you would be dipping into the hummerz, maybe for round 1
Morris, loving that butterfly, the cream of a wonderful and refreshing set
Don, can't touch you for your travels my friend, WOW! A tiger is the creme de la creme of wildlife but I'm going with the Cheetah shot, just amazing
Tim, I was wondering where you would pull yours from, looks like you took to the air! As much as I love the mid air flip those egrets are superb!
Ken, super variety and top notch of each, wish I had a PW like that
From small to large you are master of them all BB, super set!
acdj, Real nice work, the Ruddy is superb and eye contact in the last isn't the eye I was expecting
Birdie, I thought you might be dipping into the hummer and salvia bin As much as I like that shot the Fritillary has me humbled!!
Welcome Tom, the best of thread is the best thread to be on!! Great set and nice variety of moods. I have to go with the cactus flower
Oh my Harsha You are a master for sure, the final shot is the stuff of dreams and you nailed it
Great work Mike, the Osprey is too crazy, poor thing. 2 is too good, what a bg!
I was wondering Eric but I'm not surprise either. Killer set, congrats on the flying thing, what the hell was I doing No the Jags look fat, a jag 2fer!. What a set
I always enjoy your work Mohammed, very well done!!
Oh yeah Scott a rocking set from your enviable travels. I'm surprised there are no Musk Oxen
Your signature work Jim, the Pika stands out but the whole set is top shelf
Sublimely beautiful set Greg and Mrs G, fabulous images
Excellent Coyote Bill, love the light and pose. Work of this caliber is what this post is all about, bring on more!

Amazing and inspiring work my friends, can't wait to see more!!!

Tim

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM
dkapp2536
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

Everyone here is a big inspiration to all of us. I'll have to dig deep. TFS. And thanks Tim for starting an amazing thread.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Harry.C
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

So many amazing photos in this thread! It's hard to narrow things down into 3 photos, but I guess owls, hawks, and puffins dominated the year for me, so have one photo of each.

Rough-legged Hawk

Great Grey Owl

Puffins

Cheers,
Harry C

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
ether1
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

you've got to be kidding me.... those are amazing pictures.
My first time checking out the Best of....
I will have to find the previous year threads as well.

Great inspiration.

Thank you all

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

I just can't believe some of the images that have been posted already- the talent that we have here is just mind blowing!! Congrats to all who have made such wonderful images! Wishing all of you and your loved ones a safe and joyous holiday season!

2013 was my first full year of wildlife photography. I started out last fall with no experience photographing wildlife. The learning experience that has been this year has been truly enjoyable. Much of what I've learned has come from this forum of helpful and encouraging individuals. I'm looking forward to continuing to become a better photographer in 2014, and, to that end, I hope that you all will continue to offer your advice and guidance as you so graciously have thus far

I can't say whether these represent my best work over the course of the year or not, but they are a few of the images that I enjoyed making and viewing. Hope you enjoy them as well!

Canon EOS 7D    EF600mm f/4L IS USM lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/2500s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Best of 2013 Nature & Wildlife:: Round 3 and final round is OPEN::

mitesh wrote:
I just can't believe some of the images that have been posted already- the talent that we have here is just mind blowing!! Congrats to all who have made such wonderful images! Wishing all of you and your loved ones a safe and joyous holiday season!

2013 was my first full year of wildlife photography. I started out last fall with no experience photographing wildlife. The learning experience that has been this year has been truly enjoyable. Much of what I've learned has come from this forum of helpful and encouraging individuals. I'm looking forward to continuing to become a better
...Show more

That first shot is just amazing Mitesh. Only one year of wildlife experience? Crazy!! Best wishes to you this holiday season.

Geoff

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password