Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Question about the Df from OWNERS

BrianVS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I am using the Df in lossless/compressed mode. It's getting a reasonable 2:1 compression most of the time. Figure an uncompressed image is slightly over 32MBytes/image. As it is lossless compression, the number of bytes will vary based on image content. If you are doing MTF tests, figure it will require more storage.

Dec 28, 2013 at 02:23 PM
davewolfs
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

People buying the camera purely based on sensor, that's interesting.

Dec 28, 2013 at 04:02 PM
niXer
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

davewolfs wrote:
People buying the camera purely based on sensor, that's interesting.

I suspect a lot of people are doing that.

I have a D3 which is awesome in every way except for low-light.

Right now a used D3S is going for around $3000-$3500 and a D4 is still in the $4500-$5800 range so a Df gets me a sexy low-light sensor for less than all that not to mention it's lighter and great for being a prime shooter.

I think the Df doesn't just appeal to the nostalgic or "hipsters" cause I couldn't care less about the retro look but it's purpose is to compliment my D3. If it were my only camera I'd probably go to a D610 or D800.

All I know the same reasons that made me buy the P7000 & P7800 are what is making me want to buy the Df.

Dec 28, 2013 at 05:18 PM
davewolfs
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I view it as a camera targeted for those who are familiar with the older film Nikkors or the hipster camp. Than you have those I guess who just want the sensor.

I don't have a huge need for ISO 6400+ so don't really need it. If they had put this sensor in a D700/D800 body I probably would have replaced my D700.

Who knows maybe Ill change my mind down the road.

Dec 28, 2013 at 05:46 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Don't sell your D700 - biggest selling mistake I made

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:27 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I am looking for a lighter option to my D4,D3- I love the D4 sensor. several years ago I backed up my D3 with the D700, since I sold the D700 (should have kept it)
I really could care less about the retro look, it doesn't bother me and it does take me back to the film days. I am looking for the lighter option, trying to decide before the end of the year, one thing that bothers me is how all the focus points are bunched up in middle. This camera would be mainly used to photograph events

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM
brianric

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

james.d53 wrote:
I bought the silver!

I went for the black. I remember when it was a $25 premium to get a black body over a silver body, a lot of money in the late 1960ies.

Dec 31, 2013 at 05:29 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I'm going to get the Black body only... I don't need the 50, already have it, without the silver ring.

Dec 31, 2013 at 05:10 PM
niXer
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I might wait until the Olympics, it isn't hurting me not having this camera but I am interested to see what really is announced on the 7th.

All the signs point to a D4S but the rumors are all pointing to a Coolpix & D3xxx refresh.

Maybe the Nikon V3 or Coolpix A2 will be the mirror less camera we've been waiting for.

Dec 31, 2013 at 05:31 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I was looking to buy a Df in 2013 but I am going to wait to see what is coming out on Jan 7

Dec 31, 2013 at 05:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

james.d53
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

lxdesign wrote:
I'm going to get the Black body only... I don't need the 50, already have it, without the silver ring.

You're gonna be sorry!!

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:06 PM
blutch
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

JohnC wrote:
I bought a black df and new 80-400 for two weeks in South Africa and I ended up using it all the time, focus is better than the d800 i brought and I didn't want the huge files for wildlife shots. Wished I had more to familiarize myself with the camera before I left but most of the functions are intuitive.

How much better and how? It bugs me that the focus area on the DF is so tiny compared to other ffs (D800 in particular.)

B

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:55 AM
blutch
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

niXer wrote:
I suspect a lot of people are doing that.

I have a D3 which is awesome in every way except for low-light.

Right now a used D3S is going for around $3000-$3500 and a D4 is still in the $4500-$5800 range so a Df gets me a sexy low-light sensor for less than all that not to mention it's lighter and great for being a prime shooter.

If you are diligent, you can find a D3s for less than 3k. Even if you have to pay $3-400 more than a DF to get a good used D3S you are getting just as good low light (yes, I know DXoMark rates the DF slightly higher) and five times more camera in every other category. Just my 2 cents.

B

Jan 01, 2014 at 01:59 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

blutch wrote:
How much better and how? It bugs me that the focus area on the DF is so tiny compared to other ffs (D800 in particular.)

B

I personally think your own shooting style will dictate this. I shoot with the Advanced Multi-Cam 4800 in the D7100 (same as D800) and the "regular" Multi-Cam 4800 in the Df and neither has an advantage or disadvantage for my own purposes.

If it will stop you from getting the results you want then avoid it. If you are unsure then try it first.

Jan 01, 2014 at 12:45 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Every camera has its set of disadvantages depending on the user and there is no one model that will satisfy everyone's needs. People complain about the price, lack of video, AF points, lack of 2nd memory card slot, etc. on the Df. With the D800 it was file size, slow fps, slow buffer, mixed memory card slots and with the D4 it was price, weight, use of XQD cards, not enough of an upgrade over the D3s, etc.

I personally like the Df and enjoy shooting with it and I've found that because it is so light and fun to use I end up picking it up a lot more that I ever have with any other DSLR. So to me it has a lot of "value" despite the price.

Jan 01, 2014 at 02:19 PM
niXer
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Really loving my Df.

Did anyone update the firmware? The release notes didn't look like anything interesting was added but I was wondering if there was some unannounced changes?

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:29 AM
DaveOls
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Buy a silver and a black model. Then you can just take which ever one fits your mood that day.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:09 PM
james.d53
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

niXer wrote:
Really loving my Df.

Did anyone update the firmware? The release notes didn't look like anything interesting was added but I was wondering if there was some unannounced changes?
updated!

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:02 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Loving mine after 2 weeks!

Jan 25, 2014 at 03:07 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

lxdesign wrote:
Hey guys, so I really want to get a Df for myself in the new year...... but being that I am not independently wealthy ... it means I have to sell a few things off to afford it. So this is what I was thinking... I am thinking that I would sell some of my less used lenses - lenses that I thought I would use more, and in the end I don't really use them nearly as much as I thought I would. Firstly -- I would sell my 50mm f/1.8 AFS, because the kit is going to come
...Show more

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:12 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password