Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Question about the Df from OWNERS

James L
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

niXer wrote:
Good to hear.

The problem with the Eye-Fi card with the P7700 was it'd be unrecognized because the camera would start up without the Eye-Fi card initialized. Easy fix was just to turn it off and on again, but annoying.

So the Df every time you turn it on the card is recognized?

Yes, no issue. There is even a menu/display that indicates or acknowledges there is an eye fi card in the camera. Just noticed it a couple times while browsing through the menues. Not sure if that is common on the new bodies. Only comparison I have is a D300s which was sometimes iffy with the eyefi working all the time or at least timely when I wanted it to work.

Dec 20, 2013 at 09:55 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

anthonysemone wrote:
Ya'll might want to check out DPreviews review of the Df. the list of cons is quite impressive, especially relative to the list of pros.

Not much chatter about owners returning cameras because of dpreview's con list. After using the Df I don't want to go back to using the common DSLRs anymore. I guess this is why some change to mirrorless. The Df will be a game changer for many.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Glad you're having good experiences with it, Vinnie.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:44 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/df.htm

The sage hath spake/spoken?

Dec 21, 2013 at 01:13 AM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

DPreview's opinions of cameras is about the same as critic's views of most popular movies, usually out of sync with what people like.

The Df's rating as a popular camera seems to have doubled since the review was published.

Dec 21, 2013 at 02:34 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Wasn't Ogden Nash who said something like: "I don't give a flying (*&^% what people say about me as long as they mention my name in passing." ?

Dec 21, 2013 at 02:44 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I think Thom's review of the Df is in line with mine.

The sensor I want in the body I don't. I'm willing to put up with the short comings to get that sexy sensor.

Plus I already have a D3 for speed and the bells and whistles. Give me easy walk around low light shooting for not $5K.

Dec 21, 2013 at 03:25 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Has anyone shot the Df with a long lens yet? Wondering how it would perform for wildlife?

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:29 AM
JohnC
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I bought a black df and new 80-400 for two weeks in South Africa and I ended up using it all the time, focus is better than the d800 i brought and I didn't want the huge files for wildlife shots. Wished I had more to familiarize myself with the camera before I left but most of the functions are intuitive.

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:42 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

The old Nikkor-H 300/4.5 is front-heavy, about the same as putting on a motorless film body, but focus was fast and easy. The High-ISO performance means being able to use higher shutter speeds.

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwhaley29
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

niXer wrote:
I look forward to your review!

I received an EyeFi Mobi in the mail yesterday and I was able to upload some photos to my phone last night and again this morning. I did have some connection problems, but it was with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and not the card. I had to change one of the WiFi settings in order to get it to connect and stay connected. Otherwise it seems to have worked just fine.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

kwhaley29 wrote:
I received an EyeFi Mobi in the mail yesterday and I was able to upload some photos to my phone last night and again this morning. I did have some connection problems, but it was with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) and not the card. I had to change one of the WiFi settings in order to get it to connect and stay connected. Otherwise it seems to have worked just fine.

Perfect. Good to know.

When I had it with my P7800 I hated direct connecting to the card. It was so much easier to turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot and have the eyefi card connect to my phone. Also thankfully I had 4G so the uploads were fast as if they were on WiFi.

Now I just need to decided to buy the Df or not.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

niXer wrote:
Perfect. Good to know.

When I had it with my P7800 I hated direct connecting to the card. It was so much easier to turn my phone into a WiFi hotspot and have the eyefi card connect to my phone. Also thankfully I had 4G so the uploads were fast as if they were on WiFi.

Now I just need to decided to buy the Df or not.

If you're still undecided, get one from a store that has a good return policy. Having it for a couple weeks in your hand should help you decide.

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:02 PM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

VinnieJ wrote:
If you're still undecided, get one from a store that has a good return policy. Having it for a couple weeks in your hand should help you decide.

I thought about that.

I'm not undecided because of it's short comings. I've researched it and I'm sold on everything. It would compliment my D3 well. But at this point with the D4X/S possibly coming I'm in the "wait it out mode" My reason for wanting the Df is purely the sensor, couldn't care less about controls, nostalgia or appearance though it's a bonus, however if the D4X/S pushes D4 prices a bit down I can just buy one outright.

Dec 24, 2013 at 01:18 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

So I just realized today that Henry's in Toronto is actually offering the body only at $2749 CDN.... I didn't realize that body only was an option until today. So that makes me change my mind on selling my 50mm f/1.8 AFS, might as well keep it, and save on getting the body only. I think I would go for the black version.

I am thinking of selling the D7100 ...... but still on the fence on that one. I would of course keep my D800 -- she is my go to camera for landscape and most things I shoot. I would be using the Df for a lot of my street photography, and daily picture taking at work, and around town.

Dec 25, 2013 at 02:59 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

Ok now that the Jan 7th announcement looks to be the D3300 instead of the D4S I'm back to considering buying this camera.

I'd like to use it with an EyeFi since it seems to work with for the two who have replied here but I'd be going with a Pro-X2 which apparently is only 16GB.

How many RAWs can fit on a 16GB card? I guess D4 people can answer this too.

Edited on Dec 28, 2013 at 07:46 AM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2013 at 09:17 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

I am averaging about 20MBytes per .NEF file, so figure 50 images per Gigabyte of storage. 800 images on a 16GByte card.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM
james.d53
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

BrianVS wrote:
I am averaging about 20MBytes per .NEF file, so figure 50 images per Gigabyte of storage. 800 images on a 16GByte card.

I am showing 400 on my 16gb card.

Dec 28, 2013 at 06:32 AM
niXer
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

james.d53 wrote:
I am showing 400 on my 16gb card.

Uncompressed, Lossless Uncompressed or Compressed?

Dec 28, 2013 at 07:45 AM
james.d53
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Question about the Df from OWNERS

niXer wrote:
Uncompressed, Lossless Uncompressed or Compressed?

434 to be exact and uncompressed.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password