Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing f...

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

It's horribly limited and despite all of our complaints, nothing have changed. Perhaps it's time that we personally contact relevant individuals at these companies to press for change? I feel like nothing is going to change for the better unless we become even more vocal about it. Given Sony's poor firmware update record, it's doubtful the current generation of cameras will get a better bracketing implementation. I would like to eventually see something more extensive in their future cameras. Does anyone here have any idea on who to contact and what we can do to influence both Fujifilm and Sony?

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:16 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

It's a good thing these new cameras run apps. If there's a glaring need for something (like you believe there is for better bracketing) someone can write an app to provide it and make some money. Maybe even you!

http://camera.developer.sony.com

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:24 AM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

I'm not sure what crap you're frustrated with? Just some firmware details? Fujifilm, at least, has put out plenty of firmware updates to address user feedback. Their bracketing options certainly are poor. Most cameras have poor bracketing options, actually.

Sony's SDK is not really a saving grace here. It doesn't provide access to much camera functionality at all at this point. For example, no access whatsoever to changing exposure settings. So you can't implement your own bracketing, your own long exposure remote, etc.

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:25 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

I think you guys complaining about bracketing options need to honestly wake the hell up and realize how petty this is.

I mean seriously, 1st world problems....

I bet you shoot raw too!

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:26 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

ISO1600 wrote:
I think you guys complaining about bracketing options need to honestly wake the hell up and realize how petty this is.

I mean seriously, 1st world problems....

I bet you shoot raw too!

You took the words out of my mouth, the self important navel gazing...

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:35 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

I'm very happy with Fuji and Sony. They do what the others don't.

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:38 AM
grahamb3
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

One uses manual exposure for bracketing. Select the 3 shot 1 EV option. Dial in -2EV and take the 3 shot bracket. Dial in +1 EV and take the 2nd 3 shot bracket. You have captured a 6 shot bracket with 1 EV intervals.

Personally, I find the 3 shot 3EV option works well for me.

Graham

Edited on Dec 14, 2013 at 06:34 AM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2013 at 06:03 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

In fact Sony have improved the AEB feature. The Nex originally came out with a much narrower bracket range(5N). I think it was only +/- 0.7 (maybe 1.3?). It was updated in a firmware change. Sure it's nowhere near as flexible as CaNikon but with the huge malleability of these files I rarely need more than +/- 3 and I used to routinely have to merge files from my 1Ds2/3 bodies.

Mike

Dec 14, 2013 at 06:16 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

Yeah, I'm not sure what you want to complain about here, especially with Fuji, which has been probably the most responsive camera company in the industry with regards to addressing customer wishes via firmware updates. Heck, the XP1 is gaining even more functionality on Monday!

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

I'm very happy with Fujifilm. Based on my RX100 and what many others have posted, Sony could probably put a little more thought into their manuals, but otherwise, they're delivering great products.

I suggest that you don't waste too much time trying to find out who to contact, to try and influence Fujifilm and Sony. Based on what you've said so far, your correspondence will be filed under Junk.

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:28 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

lsquare wrote:
Does anyone here have any idea on who to contact and what we can do to influence both Fujifilm and Sony?

Unless you are already a known friend or high profile pro. they usually don't listen. Think Tank are exceptional company in this regard - very prompt.

Camera companies will do what they do - the onus is on us to make wise purchasing decisions.

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:45 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

fuji is definitely collecting frequent complaints and ideas from forums, which then become firmware updates and product refreshes. They also have a team of photographers who are quite active online and give feedack.
I dont follow Sony but I guess they must have similar channels.

Dec 14, 2013 at 07:46 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

If less bracketing means less garish hdr, I'm for it.

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:15 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

Ha ha, the 2 most innovative photography companies in the world and you're still complaining. I wonder if some can simply never be satisfied. Even when cameras reach perfection (which is of course impossible) you'd still complain about something.

Were you taking photos 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 2 years ago, even 1 year ago? Stone the crows, cameras are on another level these days.

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:42 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

sony rocks man

Dec 14, 2013 at 09:18 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
If less bracketing means less garish hdr, I'm for it.

+1

I've always thought these features fall under the category of "noobieware" - for people who can't figure out how to use their cameras.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

What ... the camera won't let you change the shutter speed, aperture or ISO yourself?
Or, is it that you're reliant on the camera to guess at your exposure for you?

grahamb3 wrote:
Personally, I find the 3 shot 3EV option works well for me.

+1 @ ^^ (or two shot)

Shooting chromes, bracketing was much more critical. With today's latitude of digital, fine tuned bracketing is really not that necessary in many instances. I think that it would be a better use of one's time to grow their understanding of light than lobbying suits for more features of automation. But, I'm dino like that ... old school.

Graham's approach works for me because if you incident meter the frontlit side of an individual in (Sunny 16) daylight and their shadow side, you'll typically find around a 2.5EV - 3.5EV diff. Knowing that you can just shoot Sunny 16 (assuming those EV15 conditions) and a second shot @ EV 12 and you're covered for both key and shadow.

Imo, it makes more sense to put more effort into programming and applying your brain, rather than lobbying others to programming applications for your camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value
Knowing your EV values for typical lighting can clue you just how much you might need to bracket when you have mixed lighting (e.g. direct sun & open shade) ... one shot for each lighting condition in your scene usually covers it pretty well.

Imo, you should be telling the camera what to do, not the other way around.

Edited on Dec 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

Sony's answer to the Bracketing question is the Bracket Pro app. $5, WAY more bracketing options for those who want automated bracketing. NEX/ILCE only unfortunately, but I suspect the next round of A mount cameras will support it too.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

ct8282 wrote:
Ha ha, the 2 most innovative photography companies in the world and you're still complaining. I wonder if some can simply never be satisfied. Even when cameras reach perfection (which is of course impossible) you'd still complain about something.

Were you taking photos 10 years ago, 5 years ago, 2 years ago, even 1 year ago? Stone the crows, cameras are on another level these days.

I agree with the sentiment you're expression for sure. Today's cameras are amazing.

There's always room for improvement though. That's why Fuji pumps out firmware updates, and why there's a several page long thread about how Sony could improve the A7 firmware. No reason for whining though. I also find the selection of these two companies specifically to be really strange... What are Panasonic, Nikon, Olympus, Canon, and Pentax doing that Fuji and Sony are not?

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:11 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone else here frustrated with Fujifilm and Sony's crappy bracketing feature?

I was mildly frustrated with the bracketing on my Sony a900. the firmware update made it better though.

I don't get why cameras have to have preset modes, it'd be great if:
1) # of brackets (1-20);
2) EV steps (0.33; 0.50; 0.66; 1.00; 2.00; 3.00);
could just be user selected independently.

but it doesn't cause me to get panties in a knot though.

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.