Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

More cyber commander questions

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · More cyber commander questions

I'm relatively new to studio lighting, but I'm getting close. Couple of things came up today when practicing...

1. how to I boost the modeling lights on the X800 WL while having the strobe power really low? I turn the power down and the modeling lights get really low.

2. How can I use my Seconic meter when using the CC to trigger the strobes to meter? I hold the button on the Seconic and trigger the lights and I don't get a reading. All I get is E.u. I've never seen that before.

3. Why won't my Nikon D3s focus on a grey card when using the strobes? It will not auto focus on the board. I have to focus on whatever it is sitting on.

Sorry for the newb questions. Thanks!

B

Dec 14, 2013 at 04:57 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #2 · More cyber commander questions

1. the X800 has a switch to tell it to use the slide for modeling lamp control instead of tracking w/ strobe power
2. doesn't make sense...you sure the Sekonic is aimed the right way w/ the right ISO setting? If you're doing too lower a pop, it might not see it if you have the incident dome turned in instead of out
3. it needs contrast to focus...get a Whibal..they have a pattern on it that also lets you set your black/white points

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:25 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #3 · More cyber commander questions

2 - yes. It is facing the correct way. I'm just not sure I'm operating it correctly. When I have it connected to the strobe with a synch cable, just pushing the button on the side makes it flash and take a reading. When I hold the button on the side and hit the cybercommander to trigger, the reading I get is Eu. Perhaps I need to replace the battery?

Thanks for the tip on the Whibal and the switch on the WL.

B

Dec 14, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Rick Ryan

p.1 #4 · More cyber commander questions

When you are taking a reading without the sync cord did you set the meter to "cordless" mode?

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

blutch
• • •
p.1 #5 · More cyber commander questions

Hmmmmm Did not know about these modes. I will check it out in the studio tomorrow. Thanks

B

Dec 16, 2013 at 06:13 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · More cyber commander questions

Changing modes worked on the Sekonic - Thanks!

I still have a problem with the cybercommander controlling the modeling light brightness the same with the strobe strength. None of the switches on the back of the X800 changes this. IS there a setting in the Cybercommander to work the modeling lights independantly?

Dec 16, 2013 at 09:01 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #7 · More cyber commander questions

Agree that the meter is very likely in the wrong mode. By the way, putting the Sekonic in "flash" mode and pressing the button once will cause it to "wait" for a flash. There's no need to keep the button pressed.

Dec 17, 2013 at 03:52 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #8 · More cyber commander questions

Ok. Great. Thanks. It worked well today in flash mode. I also figured out how to set the modeling lights separate from the strobe strength. Thanks for all the help everyone!

B

Dec 17, 2013 at 04:06 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password