New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

MRM4
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

The only section I will look at with any regularity on Craigslist is the photo/video section. I have sold a few things on there and even bought a lens or two on there. But I have to laugh at some of the listings and how much people think their gear is worth.

A couple of months ago, someone had a camera body or two, some lenses, and I don't remember what else. It was priced as a bundle. The prices were based off what Amazon sells the items as new, but their items were all used.

Then today, I see someone who has a Nikon D300, a 55-200 lens, and a 8GB CF card for $1,500. None of it was new. When I see these ads, I'm so tempted to respond and tell these people their prices are way too high. I guess if they get no responses they get the hint.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

I detest Craigslist. If you list an email, be sure you have one that was created just for that item and you can discard it when the item is sold. Spammers will flood it.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

I know the feeling. Here in Thailand some people seem to be in la-la land when it comes to value, but it is a cultural thing that lies in opposition to my own - that of the quick sell wheeler-dealer.

There are a couple of sellers on facebook and the 2nd gear is often more expensive than new. If it is not then the price is so close why would you bother anyway to save $30? I feel like telling them, but hold my tongue. Thai/Thai-Chinese culture is one of waiting (often an eternity) for a buyer rather than dropping the price to elicit a sale.

For example, a 2nd hand motorbike (that was traded-in and the shop paid peanuts for anyway) will sit in a shop for two years because the seller wants full price (what discount that may be offered is ALWAYS pitiful) rather than be sold quickly. They'd prefer to wait and wait and wait, and do more waiting than sell something cheap.

One example is a 1D4 that's been sitting unsold for over a year - still at the same price, no attempt at promoting it and offering a discount. It'll be there next year at the same price - guaranteed.

Dec 14, 2013 at 03:12 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

Yeah, there's currently a D3 on my local craigslist for $4700....

Dec 15, 2013 at 02:27 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

Hardly anyone uses Craigslist here any more... Kijiji has pretty much put them out of business.

Dec 19, 2013 at 09:43 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

molson wrote:
Hardly anyone uses Craigslist here any more... Kijiji has pretty much put them out of business.

What makes them different than craiglist? Sellers can ask the same price on either can't they? Also, they probably will post items on both sites.

I find it funny when I see folks selling the 24-105 for $1100-1200 and then quote what it goes for new.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

Kijiji is even worse in my area. Hardly anyone uses it. And theres only 4 items for Nikon.
A D2X and D3000... For $3500....lol

http://m.ebayclassifieds.com/nikon-d2x-d3000/v?adId=15417229#nikon

Dec 19, 2013 at 01:08 PM
STATSSkipper

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

I don't laugh at their prices, they get on my nerves. I think those are just for show offs.

Dec 19, 2013 at 02:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

molson wrote:

+1

Maybe it's related to latitude..

Dec 19, 2013 at 03:20 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Have to laugh at some of the Craigslist sellers

Some of the list prices on eBay are traps. Check out the listings designed to catch out dyslexics or the overexcited buyer.

Dec 20, 2013 at 01:42 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.