New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Testing with two different Canon lenses has allowed dust to enter. No problem, I ran the cleaning function then looked. The spec is actually visible to naked eye resting on the sensor. So, multiple blow offs and it's still there. Jeez, I hate to resort to wet cleaning after only 10 days with this body. Ugh.....

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

I would try a very small piece of scotch tape to try and 'lift' it off. I wouldn't try and move that thing around with a pec-pad as you may scratch the sensor.

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:42 PM
Brea
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Happens to all bodies when you change lenses...

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:58 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Get a cleaning kit with the Eclipse solvent and the appropriate swabs or spatula/PekPads. Often the issue is not dust, but for a new camera, lubricant can get on the sensor. Clean using the Copperhill method. No big deal and you will have a spotless sensor.

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:06 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Probably need a wet clean. Copperhill is one option, I use Visible Dust products but they are a bit more pricey I think.

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

arbitrage wrote:
Probably need a wet clean. Copperhill is one option, I use Visible Dust products but they are a bit more pricey I think.

+1

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:26 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Sarsfield wrote:
I would try a very small piece of scotch tape to try and 'lift' it off. I wouldn't try and move that thing around with a pec-pad as you may scratch the sensor.

Got to admit, after all these years, I've never heard of the "scotch tape" method Appreciate the feedback, but I'll pass on this option for now.

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:26 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

schlotz wrote:
Got to admit, after all these years, I've never heard of the "scotch tape" method Appreciate the feedback, but I'll pass on this option for now.

As long as it's not a duct tape..it will not harm your sensor.

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

schlotz wrote:

Scotch tape is a stupid idea, as it can leave sticky residue on your sensor.

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:10 PM
artd
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

maxx9photo wrote:

Right. It just will leave sticky residue on it. And even if you're ok with having sticky residue on your sensor, are you ok with the fact that dust will be even more prone to stick to your sensor because of sticky residue?

To the OP, what kind of "blowing" did you try? I never had good results from generic blowers in the past, but then I tried a Giotto Rocket Blower (the big one) and it gets off all but the most stubborn dust.

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:11 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

artd wrote:
Right. It just will leave sticky residue on it. And even if you're ok with having sticky residue on your sensor, are you ok with the fact that dust will be even more prone to stick to your sensor because of sticky residue?

To the OP, what kind of "blowing" did you try? I never had good results from generic blowers in the past, but then I tried a Giotto Rocket Blower (the big one) and it gets off all but the most stubborn dust.

I have the Giotto Large rocket blower, been using it but without success on the A7r's sensor with this piece of dust/stuff.

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

As Geoff said, it probably needs a "wet clean". Pick your poison.

For mirrorless cameras, I use, in order of precedence; (i) a blower, (ii) VisibleDust Arctic Butterfly, (iii) LensPen SensorKlean, (iv) VisibleDust Sensor fluid with a poly Q-tip, and then (v) VisibleDust Sensor fluid with a Vswab "paddle".

I don't use a blower on my DSLR, because it often sends debris up and into the finder.

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:22 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Yup, that's the way I go. Good to have a sensor loupe though to see if you can see if it is dust, spittle or grease. If grease, you don't want to use the brush, just see if you can pick off with a Q-tip and go straight to a wet clean.

Another possibility is that it is a skin flake that has just enough oil to stick. That you might be able to pick off, but will probably leave a trail of oil you need to wet clean.

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Once, I sneezed on a 5D sensor. That took a lot of cleaning energy...

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:58 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

...5D needed a lot of cleaning energy compared to the new self-cleaning DSLRs, a real dust magnet without any sneezing. Watched a guy all scrunched up over his open 5D complaining how the sensor got dirty faster than he could clean it, talking in there while scratching his head and rustling his clothes, yeah a real mystery...

Dec 13, 2013 at 07:28 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Well, after continued wet cleaning attempts the "stuff" is still on there. It's better but still visible even to the naked eye of which mine are starting to show wear. Dang body parts, wont even hold up for a measly 60 years . Called Sony and after having to educate the help desk individual I've got a work order # to send the body in. Hopefully with a description and a couple of photos added in, they will be able to get the sensor cleaned. Really have started to love this body but the experience of a non-removable piece of something has dampened the enthusiasm a bit

Matt

Dec 31, 2013 at 09:41 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

maxx9photo wrote:

gaffer tape and the kitchen sink too
- dust aid works well btw

Jan 03, 2014 at 02:12 AM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Why not post this in the alternative gear forum? Or are you saying this is something specific to Canon lenses causing this - i.e. would Nikkor gear/adapters have NOT done this too?

Jan 03, 2014 at 06:24 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Use a blower on the sensor, dampen a Q-tip with a few drops of a solution made of 50% water and 50% isopropyl alcohol (don't soak the Q-tip), then, after removing particles use a dry Q-tip to remove excess solution and use the blower to remove any Q-tip lint left behind.

Take a shot of the sky after setting your aperture to a high number.and examine the images carefully.

Rinse hair and repeat as necessary

I used to buy the expensive visible dust products, but after reading a post by Imagemaster where he describes the solution and methods he used, I found it to work as well as any other products/techniques tried in the past.

Jan 04, 2014 at 01:22 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hmm... Dust on A7r sensor and no blowing amt Moves it

Q-tip + lint + sensor. Mmm...

Jan 04, 2014 at 01:45 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.