FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · FF help

kezeka
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · FF help

yansgtp wrote:
Thanks all for your input the wife surprised me with a 5D lll for Christmas.

Thats a great wife you have there!

Rent a 24-70/2.8 mk II and see if you don't mind the weight and like using 2.8 for the majority of the photos you take. I wouldn't ever buy a lens slower than 2.8 but thats because I love street photography and candids and don't like carrying a flash around. Other people here feel differently. That doesn't make any of us wrong, just means we have different tastes.

That said, you really start having problems isolating a subject at f/4 in this focal range unless you are right in their face.

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:39 PM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · FF help

I'm going to take a different tack here.

I have a Tamron 28-300mm VC lens for general shooting in good lighting. I keep comparing it to my better lenses at similar f stops and I'm pleased with how close it comes. Once I do a little processing it really gets the job done. It's the lens I bring along when I don't know what focal length I need. I have primes at key focal lengths for more serious work. They replace even the best zooms anyway. The Tamron lens is cheap enough that you can keep it around even when you upgrade to better lenses. Also think of it as inexpensive enough to get while having enough money for a few fast primes if you don't already have them.

Overall, I think it's a better buy than the aging 24-105. The 28-300 is faster at the wide end and not much slower at 105mm (might be the same f) and you get even more reach albeit a bit slow at 6.3. WIth the high iso performance of the 5Diii you can still get acceptable shutter speeds most of the time.

Just throwing out a different option out there that has worked for me.

Jan 08, 2014 at 08:39 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.