Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

rusnockphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

Does anyone use mid-size-size seamless backdrop paper? I found a 7 foot roll of dark grey by accisent last year. The photo store said it was discontinued ages ago so that was the only one left. I bought it on a lark and I love it. The 53s are too short for anything but solo headshots and the 107s are unwieldy. So I'd love to find more 7 or 8 foot seamless variants. The brand on the one I bought is it is BDigital. But I can't find them anywhere on the web. I suppose I could buy a roll 107 roll and cut it, but that seems like quite a hassle.

Thanks in advance,
-Jeremy

Dec 13, 2013 at 01:25 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

Hi Jeremy,

Just my two cents but for studio photographers background papers are the equivalent to paper towels, toilet paper and duct tape in life. You can never have too much and don't sweat over how you use them. Just store them upright (to prevent sag creases) and don't run out.

Buy 107" to your heart's content and this.

Dec 14, 2013 at 08:24 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

nolaguy has a point -- buy a sharp saw and cut a roll to whatever width you prefer. FWIW I found three 78" wide backgrounds on our site here.. None delight me but YMMV

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Dec 17, 2013 at 03:48 PM
rusnockphoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

Thanks for the responses guys. I travel with them, so that's why the 107s are unwieldy. I can't imagine a saw will leave a very nice edge. So I guess this will take some looking in to.

I was quite excited when you said 78s, Henry, but I am looking for solid colors like white and charcoal. Thank you for the suggestion though!

-Jeremy

Dec 18, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Robert Snow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

I have been cutting rolls down for years using an electric saber saw and a really fine tooth blade such as a metal cutting blade. Your edges will be sharp and even.

I leave them in the box they come in (I cut it down to size too), so they are protected from dust, and are good to travel.

Something new to me though is:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ipp=50&sts=ma&N=0&srtclk=itemspp&Ntt=Savage+Vinyl+Backgrounds&ap=Y&cm_mmc=EML-_-Promotion_PhotoPlus102413-_-131024-_-Body_Retail_Savage-Vinyl-Backgrounds

i.e., Savage vinyl backgrounds. You can find about any size you might want there, and they should last forever.

bob snow

Dec 18, 2013 at 03:14 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

rusnockphoto wrote:
I can't imagine a saw will leave a very nice edge.

-Jeremy

Hmmm... nice edge? To what end? (asked a bit rhetorically)

Robert references more refined edges and certainly saber saws can make that happen... lots of different blade choices (including essentially knives). You could even go the circular saw route with abrasive discs rather than toothed blades - it would smell a bit while "polishing" through the roll but would leave a relatively fine finish.

Personally, my thinking is we're placing subjects on a movie set with all the illusion that is generally involved. I don't mind at all astonishing them with how pristine shots come out when the "set" itself seemed so disjointed.

YMMV.

Chuck

Dec 18, 2013 at 04:42 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

I cut seamless all the time. The key is to cut it when it's brand new so the roll is still tightly wound. A regular hacksaw works just fine.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM
rusnockphoto

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think I'll give the hack saw a try.
-Jeremy

Dec 28, 2013 at 08:18 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

rusnockphoto wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. I travel with them, so that's why the 107s are unwieldy.

By car? I know people who made shipping tubes by using PVC or plastic pipes. They got a tool to thread the ends and attached screw-in caps.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 07, 2014 at 02:58 PM
adamba100
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

Try a miter saw with sharp blade.

Jan 07, 2014 at 04:01 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7 or 8 foot seamless backdrop paper?

rusnockphoto wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. I travel with them, so that's why the 107s are unwieldy. I can't imagine a saw will leave a very nice edge. So I guess this will take some looking in to.

I was quite excited when you said 78s, Henry, but I am looking for solid colors like white and charcoal. Thank you for the suggestion though!

-Jeremy

It may look a little untidy to clients, but when do you ever see the edge of a background in an image?

Jan 08, 2014 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.