New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

My buddy refuses to post here but has been asking me for advice on tripods. He shoots a MF Mamiya setup as well as an assortment of 4x5 gear. He doesn't have a lot of money so he needs some advice. I would say a gitzo series 3-5 or a rrs 3 series but these are $$$

I was thinking about Feisol, as everyone seems to think they are nice for the price, but i need to know what model would be good for this sort of weight and size camera gear.

Some of the Zone VI legs would work but are pretty darn heavy and he is a hiker.

Any thoughts?

Dec 12, 2013 at 02:55 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

You might want to ask this at GetDpi, Lula, or largeformatphotography. They have more people into larger format than here.

Dec 12, 2013 at 03:41 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

hiepphotog wrote:
You might want to ask this at GetDpi, Lula, or largeformatphotography. They have more people into larger format than here.

There are plenty of guys here who use really big glass that needs support on par with MF and LF gear. And people here know their pods. Im keeping the faith

Dec 12, 2013 at 03:45 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

Well long telephoto for birders is more demanding than a typical MF or LF because of weight and much higher magnification. I have seen MFers and LFers made do with the biggest Feisol (3372 and 3472). Some used the series 2 from Gitzo and RRS, so you might want to look at the cheaper equivalent. Again, it depends on the camera and lens combo.

Dec 12, 2013 at 03:57 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

killersnowman wrote:
My buddy refuses to post here but has been asking me for advice on tripods. He shoots a MF Mamiya setup as well as an assortment of 4x5 gear. He doesn't have a lot of money so he needs some advice. I would say a gitzo series 3-5 or a rrs 3 series but these are $$$

I was thinking about Feisol, as everyone seems to think they are nice for the price, but i need to know what model would be good for this sort of weight and size camera gear.

I agree on the Gitzo or RRS 3-series as a first choice but as you say, the cost. I know a lot of people really like the Feisols and I saw and handled a number of them recently and spoke with the manager of their customer service (which is very good BTW). They are nicely finished and very light in weight. To me, they look to have a sharper leg angle to achieve their max height spec, and I wonder how that affects stability. The only thing I don't like about them is the short collar on the leg joint hardware and I did talk to their service manager about it and he was, shall we say, equivocal on the matter. There have been breakages there.

Many here also like the Induros but Induro doesn't make a systematic type tripod, they all have center columns. I shoot MF (Rolleiflex and Fotoman 617 panoramic) and use a Gitzo 3-series systematic, but I only bought that tripod because a double discount brought the price down below the Benro systematic I was about to buy 3 years ago. Induro is a Benro brand and some of the parts are common but the designs are different. I also use two Benro tripods, one aluminum and one CF and they are well made and durable. Benro does manufacture a small range of systematics. I suggest your friend takes a look at the Benro C3770T. It's a systematic design and there are users of the Benro systematics on this forum who can attest to them. I buy from the dealer and he is reputable; it's worth looking at as well as the other systematics in the Benro range this and other dealers sell.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

If weight is not a big concern, I use the Manfrotto 055 aluminum tripod for my MF and LF photography. Very stable and can be picked up for $100.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

Used Gitzo tripods are not that expensive. Don't really need carbon fibre and the metal models have prices one can live with. Gitzo makes good products that last.

Dec 15, 2013 at 05:19 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

It always amazes me that someone would have "large" bodies (not cheap either) and heavy too...and want to skimp on a tripod.

See too much of this with people that invest in large glass and buy cheap tripods or home made gimble heads and can't figure out why they either break or don't function well.

Buy used....is a very solid recommendation that WORKS!!

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

onesickpuppy wrote:
It always amazes me that someone would have "large" bodies (not cheap either) and heavy too...and want to skimp on a tripod.

See too much of this with people that invest in large glass and buy cheap tripods or home made gimble heads and can't figure out why they either break or don't function well.

Buy used....is a very solid recommendation that WORKS!!

trust me... ive told him this over and over.

Dec 26, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reasonably Priced Tripod for MF and LF

Is your friend humping his Mamiya and 4x5 gear into the hills?

So... he'd need maximum support with minimum weight, right?

Dec 26, 2013 at 02:47 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.