New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Another Beauty Dish Question

Ken_K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another Beauty Dish Question

I'm just a hobbyist venturing into studio photography. I'd like to add a beauty dish to use with my Einstein 640. Having never used one before I'm not sure which one to buy. I've been looking at Buff dishes and he offers a white reflector with a 140 degree beam and a silver reflector with a 45 degree beam. I know the answer to "which one to buy" will be "it depends on the look you are going for". Can any one post examples of what the final product would look like using comparable dishes? Thanks.

Dec 12, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another Beauty Dish Question

I doubt that your request is a good benchmark for distinguishing between the two. The silver dish has a subtle punch to it that adds a bit of gloss and more contrast. Based on how the dish is used and also post processing, it's very difficult to see a consistent difference in photos. Generally, the majority of dishes used by photogs are white because they're a little more flattering to the skin. However, most commercial photographers tend to work with young models with flawless skin, so the silver is dish is an appropriate modifier. The dish you should use will depend on your shooting style and the people you shoot.

Edited on Dec 13, 2013 at 08:28 PM · View previous versions

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM
tuanvo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another Beauty Dish Question

Buy a white beauty dish and cover the inside with aluminum foil if you want silver! Put a sock on it if you want it softbox-ish.

Dec 12, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Ken_K
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another Beauty Dish Question

Thanks. I appreiate the feedback.

Dec 12, 2013 at 07:47 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another Beauty Dish Question

At customary working distances, a silver BD will produce harder shadows and brighter speculars. As such, it's a more difficult modifier to use, and a bit of a contradiction IMO. That light quality is roughly (very roughly) achievable with standard metal reflectors. I prefer a BD in white because it better fills the gap between a metal reflector and a medium softbox. You can give directionality and greater hardness to white beauty dishes with a grid - great combo.

For hard light (my fav), the great-looking results come from projector-style lighting fixtures like fresnels, but that's a different value proposition.

White BD as key for tabletop. Note smoothness of light, and nice shadow transitions:

Dec 12, 2013 at 07:52 PM
rcmanoj
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another Beauty Dish Question

Don't have a silver BD, but this is what you could expect from a white BD. I'm planing to get a silver BD soon, btw

Beauty

Jan 02, 2014 at 10:50 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.