Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting a...

synergism

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

I've been designated to take pictures for our command Christmas party and unfortunately have very little experience with controlled lighting/studio setups. The only thing I have so far is a backdrop support system, a 10 x 8 backdrop, and an ABR800 ring flash. I have a used D300 and SB-910. We only have the 18-200, 30mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 lenses and have a budget of $350.

I was googling around and came up on some example and one struck me the most and was hoping if I can achieve similar results and still be within budget (as most of the budget will go towards raffle prizes). Examples below.

Will continuous lighting suffice for this? (to keep the heat and wait time down). If so, particular modifiers? Also, the background, I think it looks really nice bright and very lit up: do I need lighting left/right of the background? How should I lay out my lighting if so?

Hope it's not way out of my budget lol. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Will 2 24" softboxes up front L/R of the camera shooting straight be good enough for my main lights?

As for the background will 2 continous lighting with umbrellas from the sides be good enough?

I found these cheap strobes and flourecent lights on amazon. If anyone can comment or point me in the right direction to find the right answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Strobes - http://www.amazon.com/NEEWER-180W-Location-Portrait-Photography/dp/B0043GT9Y0/ref=pd_sim_p_11

Continuous lighting - http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Photography-Portrait-Continuous-Umbrellas/dp/B003WLY24O/ref=sr_1_13?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1386874293&sr=1-13&keywords=continuous+lighting

Dec 12, 2013 at 06:53 AM
eburge

p.1 #2 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

My 2 cents:
First, light the background (thatís to get separation between the BG and the people). The 2 umbrellas should work. However, they have to be far enough to the side to not be in the picture and the people should be far enough in front of the BG to not cast shadows.

Two, the 2 soft boxes should work also. You should set your f-stop to about f8 to accommodate large groups (youíll probably need most of the power those little strobes can provide).

Three, do some test shots ahead of time. Get 3 or 4 helpers to stand in line to test for depth of field and lighting.

I use a Nikon D200 with a Pocket Wizard Plus II (channel 1) and a Pre-Trigger cable on the camera. And I use Pocket Wizard Plus IIís on the lights (channel 2). I also have a Pocket Wizard Plus II (channel 1) for someone in the group to fire the setup.

If you use continuous lights, you only need Pocket Wizards for the camera and to fire it.

Hope this helps get you started.

PS. I'm looking for a youtube video that shows this. If I find it, I'll post the link.

Dec 12, 2013 at 07:59 PM
eburge

p.1 #3 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

I found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niPk9BMLXtU

Dec 12, 2013 at 09:36 PM
MarcosH

p.1 #4 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

You already have a decent amount of gear. I would just add a large modifier for the ABR800 like the 56" moon unit or 64" soft silver PLM with the front diffusion panel and place it just above the camera.

Don't overcomplicate the lighting setup, the "2 Dudes and a Booth" only use one or two lights. In this setup they are using one light directly above the camera - http://www.twodudesphoto.com/blog/2013/9/7/show-me-what-youre-working-with . The background is well lit because it is so close the subjects, everything is lit by the key light.

I would avoid using continuous lights, they are not nearly as powerful as the Alien Bee and may not overpower the ambient light.

Dec 13, 2013 at 05:28 AM
synergism

p.1 #5 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

Thanks for the advice! The wireless trigger is a fantastic idea and will definitely have to be incorporated in the setup! I assume 'ebay triggers' should be good enough for this?

eburge wrote:
I found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niPk9BMLXtU

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:38 AM
synergism

p.1 #6 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

Thanks for showing me that link. I thought they were using real backgrounds! (esp the blue one I posted). I honrstly thought digital backgrounds would look too fake. Is it difficult to compose the images in post? Anyway, good to know. I also didn't know one massive light can do that. Saves me from having to haul/setup more equipment than I thought. Definitely starting to feel a bit more easy about this since it's not as complicated as I thought. Thanks.

MarcosH wrote:
You already have a decent amount of gear. I would just add a large modifier for the ABR800 like the 56" moon unit or 64" soft silver PLM with the front diffusion panel and place it just above the camera.

Don't overcomplicate the lighting setup, the "2 Dudes and a Booth" only use one or two lights. In this setup they are using one light directly above the camera - http://www.twodudesphoto.com/blog/2013/9/7/show-me-what-youre-working-with . The background is well lit because it is so close the subjects, everything is lit by the key light.

I would avoid using continuous lights, they are not nearly
...Show more

Dec 13, 2013 at 06:50 AM
eburge

p.1 #7 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

synergism wrote:
Thanks for the advice! The wireless trigger is a fantastic idea and will definitely have to be incorporated in the setup! I assume 'ebay triggers' should be good enough for this?

Any triggers will probably work. I use PW because several years ago I had a generic trigger fail during a shoot. But the generics are a lot better now (and a lot cheaper).

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

eburge

p.1 #8 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

Let us know how the photo booth went.

Dec 21, 2013 at 02:01 AM
Pandemic
• •
p.1 #9 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

synergism wrote:
Thanks for showing me that link. I thought they were using real backgrounds! (esp the blue one I posted). I honrstly thought digital backgrounds would look too fake. Is it difficult to compose the images in post? Anyway, good to know. I also didn't know one massive light can do that. Saves me from having to haul/setup more equipment than I thought. Definitely starting to feel a bit more easy about this since it's not as complicated as I thought. Thanks.

That blue backdrop is not digital, it's a real one. It's listed here: http://www.twodudesphoto.com/backdrops/standard/

You have a D300, an AB ringflash- you don't need anything other than a kit lens. I use that same flash in my booths; it is MORE than enough light.

I say that you'd want a kit lens because A) its cheap B) at higher f/stops, sharp enough C) lightweight D) can zoom in case you get more people.

You haven't stated what software you're using to control the booth.....

Dec 24, 2013 at 03:48 PM
mason72

p.1 #10 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

Hey guys, I thought I'd chime in since I'm one of the "dudes".

Depending on the venue, I use different combinations of lights and modifiers - in this particular example (with the blue background), I had two lights at 45 degree angles fitted with one small and one medium Photoflex octodome, and did not have a light mounted on the center pole.

I use Hensel Integra lights; they've been great workhorses for years and they sync flawlessly using the Hensel wireless system. For modifiers, I try to use as large as possible for the space.

As far as software, I'm working with DSLR Remote Pro; it's funky, but fairly reliable and very customizable which is nice. Has anyone tried the new Darkroom software from Imaging Spectrum?

Edited on Jan 05, 2014 at 07:36 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2014 at 11:00 PM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #11 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

mason72 wrote:
Hey guys, I thought I'd chime in since I'm one of the "dudes".

Depending on the venue, I use different combinations of lights and modifiers - in this particular example (with the blue background), I had two lights at 45 degree angles fitted with one small and one medium Photoflex octodome, and did not have a light mounted on the center pole.

I use Hensel Integra lights; they've been great workhorses for years and they sync flawlessly using the Hensel wireless system. For modifiers, I try to use as large as possible for the space.

As far as software,
...Show more

Thanks for chiming in! What lens do you use for your booth?

Jan 04, 2014 at 07:26 PM
mason72

p.1 #12 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

No problem!

I usually use the 24-105 f/4L, although for the images above, I was using my 24-70 f/2.8L II, which is a bit overkill for a photo booth.

Jan 05, 2014 at 07:35 PM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #13 · First time setting up photo booth indoor. Need lighting advice.

Thanks again! Very helpful, although I'm not the original poster, I'm running my first photobooth next month and appreciate all the advice/input!

Jan 12, 2014 at 06:28 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password