FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Suggestions for Photo Locations in Oahu, HI

cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for Photo Locations in Oahu, HI

We have an upcoming one-week trip to the island of Oahu, and among other things, we hope to take some good landscape/seascape shots. We have been to Oahu once about 12 years ago when we were still shooting film and our passion for photography had not been quite reinvigorated yet

Obviously we will be doing a lot of touristy stuff but I expect that we spend at least one full day roaming around the island specifically for taking pictures. As such, we would really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations you may have both on good locations as well as on the equipment we should take.

On locations, I have already obtained this book: http://amzn.com/0896103145 which seems pretty good. But I am concerned we may end up spending more time trying to find the locations instead of actually taking the pictures. Then I came across this photo tour: http://goo.gl/Hz1ygj (website: http://www.oahuphotographytours.com/) By any chance, has any of you had any experience with this tour? As you can see, they've got some really great reviews, but hard to say if any of reviewers were pro or serious enthusiast photogs. So trying to decide if their $150/person would be worth it for their 9-hour island tour. Would greatly appreciate any advice you may have on this.

Finally, on the equipment, we are thinking of taking our D800E plus 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8, and maybe 50/1.4 for possible indoor low-light situations. We recently did get a 14-24/2.8 as well, but our bag (will tripod, flash, etc.) will already be pretty heavy and I'm afraid taking the whole trinity of lenses would just be unbearable (and I've heard Oahu is notorious for car thefts which means we cannot leave anything in the car). So I am hoping 24-70/2.8 would be wide enough for our landscape shots, and yet more useful for our other general travel pictures (plus we have ND and CPL filters for it) . What do you guys think? Will we miss a lot by not having our 14-24/2.8 handy? Please advise!

Thanks...

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:14 PM
nikontypes

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for Photo Locations in Oahu, HI

I would bring the 14-24, 50, and 70-200.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM
cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for Photo Locations in Oahu, HI

Thanks for the recommendation,. Trouble is, as you know, we don't have filters (CPL and ND in particular) for our 14-24mm and, at this point, we are not planning to spend ~$400 on a filter holder kit for it. Yet I am sure there will be situations where using CPL and ND filters will be critical to get the effect we like on our landscape shots over there. So, unless I find a good deal for a used filter holder kit for 14-24mm, we would probably have to stick with our 24-70mm. Any thoughts?

Dec 16, 2013 at 01:36 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.