New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sam Lit with Rapid Box Pullback Added

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sam Lit with Rapid Box Pullback Added

I recently purchased a Westcott 27" Rapid Box plus a set of Phottix Odins. My grandson Sam agreed to pose for me to test them. I just love the light from the Rapid Box. Here's one of the photos. This is Sam's "at rest" look. He naturally has those world weary eyes.

Edited on Dec 11, 2013 at 08:21 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:53 PM
seckinjo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sam Lit with Rapid Box Pullback Added

Such a beautiful portrait. Almost looks like an oil painting.

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:12 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sam Lit with Rapid Box Pullback Added

I really like the soft lighting here. Nice job!!!

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sam Lit with Rapid Box Pullback Added

very nice shot and light

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:21 PM
bryanlindsey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sam Lit with Rapid Box Pullback Added

seckinjo wrote:
Such a beautiful portrait. Almost looks like an oil painting.

That's what I thought too.

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:37 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sam Lit with Rapid Box Pullback Added

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

I thought I'd add some detail of the shoot and processing along with a pullback showing the setup.

As mentioned, the photo was taken with my new Westcott Rapid box. I measured ambient light, then set the camera to manual with ambient down about a stop. I then adjusted the exposure of my Canon 550 EX mounted in the Rapid Box to be correct at f4. I used the Phottix Odin to do this from the camera. It couldn't be easier. I also used a 550 EX in a 60" Westcott white umbrella on camera axis, dialed down about 2/3 stop. Shot with 5D2 and 70-200mm f2.8 (a lovely, sharp lens).

PP was done first in LR5 with a Replichrome plugin set to Fuji 160 and with lens vignette. This image was lifted into PS6, where a curves adjustment layer was added. This was followed up with NIK Viveza, mainly used to use control points to lighten the eyes and add structure to the hair. From there I made two curve layers for dodging and burning. The burn layer pulled the curve down and to the right, the dodge layer pulled the curve up and to the left. An inverse mask was added and I painted in areas I wanted darkened and lightened. Finally I added a retouch layer to clone stamp blemishes, followed by a NIK Sharpen Pro layer.

Here's the pullback with Sam's older brother Will caught with eyes at half mast. You can see the simple placement of the key.

Dec 11, 2013 at 08:31 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.