New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Nikon D7000 - Shots washed out - Newbie Advice Needed

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon D7000 - Shots washed out - Newbie Advice Needed

Of course there are many things you can do in post processing once you become comfortable with the capabilities of Photoshop. For example, one possibility among many, if you want a darker and more romantic version:

(Not shown, using the UnSharpMask (USM) filter applied twice at 16, 60, 0, o boost mid-tone contrast.)

Dec 12, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Airfix

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon D7000 - Shots washed out - Newbie Advice Needed

Antipodi, thanks for the awesomely detailed reply. I understand what you did but I'm not that familiar with gamma correction. I guess it's time to read up on it. I'll work on this image later today to see if I can come up with anything a really like.

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon D7000 - Shots washed out - Newbie Advice Needed

In Photoshop there are many ways to do the same thing. I describe how I do changes. Others no doubt prefer different methods. To me, methods don't matter much, only results. Not many folks seem to use the exposure adjustment panel, it seems. Those who do probably don't use the gamma slider much. I like the exposure panel because it's a handy way to do vignettes, especially asymmetric vignettes, and selectively darken areas or as part of corrections to over and under-exposure not corrected in camera raw. The gamma slider makes contrast adjustments to mid-tones. (When I learned Photoshop the brightness and contrast adjustment panel wasn't very useful because it applied to everything, even the brightest and darkest ends. In the latest versions of Photoshop I seem to recall brightness and contrast was changed to apply to mid-tones the way brightness applies in camera raw.)

You might find this thread a bit helpful:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178708

Note: One of the potential problems with gamma increase is the apparent saturation also increases. It may be necessary to use the same selection used for a gamma increase to apply a downward adjustment to vibrance or saturation. However, some increase in apparent saturation may look natural. For example, objects in shade may seem more saturated because other objects in sunlight in the same scene may be desaturated by reflected sunlight. That effect can set our visual expectation for higher color saturation in shadowed areas. To me, it's all about what looks "right" and that's highly subjective. In the end, it's all about achieving and expressing *your* vision.

Dec 14, 2013 at 02:45 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.