New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · More Pixels = Better

MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Pixels = Better

Thank you, advertising agencies and creative departments, for sharing the truth! =/

Spotted in NYC

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Pixels = Better

They forgot to mention "smaller pixels = worse camera" =O

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM
cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Pixels = Better

41 megapixels in a phone cam, that's insane! How big are the files? Or how badly compressed are they to get them out of the camera in some reasonable time?

<Chas>

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:21 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Pixels = Better

cwebster wrote:
41 megapixels in a phone cam, that's insane! How big are the files? Or how badly compressed are they to get them out of the camera in some reasonable time?

<Chas>

I don't think it actually shoots in 41 MP. I read that it grabs a 34 MP digital "negative" and then resolves the actual photo at 5 MP (like, using several pixels to grab the information that one pixel would usually grab)... Details on pg. 5 + 6 here: http://i.nokia.com/blob/view/-/2723846/data/1/-/Lumia1020-whitepaper.pdf

But still. It's like lying to the customer and then deciding to omit the facts about megapixels. How convenient of the advertising team. Too bad they couldn't make it run the camera faster.

I think the samples past 400 ISO are already too grainy for me. Go figure. Advertising nowadays... =/

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:38 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Pixels = Better

I guess its time to sell my D800 and pick up this phone. I've been doing it wrong this whole time.

Dec 11, 2013 at 09:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Pixels = Better

MazeRunner wrote:
Thank you, advertising agencies and creative departments, for sharing the truth! =/

Well, it has ~3x the megapickles of your phone.

Comparing phones to each other may have some merit. Of course comparison of phone sensors with large (FF/FX) sensors is not very meaningful.

EBH

Dec 12, 2013 at 06:07 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Pixels = Better

@EBH,

I'm sure all, if not most of us here @ FM, know that. But when advertising does that... it just sort of points to how unabashed these companies are with what they do to generate bottom-line numbers. I mean, it's not even that bad since people buy more for branding at that price point (Samsung or Apple over Nokia), but imagine the number of people who just refer to that ad if I told them my D4 has 16 MP and they take out their Nokia and say they have 41. ?

I'm fairly sure there are a ton of beginners who bought the D800 over the 5DM3 simply because of the megapixels. (Great for lowering the resale value though!)

Dec 12, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Pixels = Better

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/Category/Petit-Le-Mans-13/i-JD8RjXG/0/X2/Petit%20%2713%20Wed.-103-2-X2.jpg

Rendered with the 35.8 x 23.9mm sensor
using the 8.2µm pixel ...

Dec 12, 2013 at 09:45 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Pixels = Better

Check the RAWs. They're actually... really good. :o

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:35 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More Pixels = Better

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
Check the RAWs. They're actually... really good. :o

They're not too bad, quite good for a phone actually, but of course, the sample shots are usually in ideal conditions. I note they only have one photo in low light: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-Lumia-1020-official-samples-from-the-41-megapixel-camera_id45207#5-

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More Pixels = Better

MazeRunner wrote:
@EBH,

I'm sure all, if not most of us here @ FM, know that. But when advertising does that... it just sort of points to how unabashed these companies are with what they do to generate bottom-line numbers. I mean, it's not even that bad since people buy more for branding at that price point (Samsung or Apple over Nokia), but imagine the number of people who just refer to that ad if I told them my D4 has 16 MP and they take out their Nokia and say they have 41. ?

Meh. The Nokias with the Zeiss optics and high MP are quite good, so I have no problem with that.

EBH

Dec 14, 2013 at 05:13 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.