Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Oneonta Gorge in the freeze this week (Image 1)

TJ Thorne
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oneonta Gorge in the freeze this week (Image 1)

As you're probably aware... Oregon has been blessed with special conditions for the past week. The sub-freezing temperatures have resulted in beautiful icy-buildup in our wonderfully wet Columbia River Gorge. Already a photographers paradise, the gorge has drawn every photographer within a 100 mile radius to try their hand at capturing this rare event.

The reason this deep freeze is rare is because it has lasted so long, allowing the ice to continually build up. There also hasn't been precipitation... keeping the roads clear save for the freezing mist of the falls landing on the roads.

I made four trips to the gorge during the week, each time trying to capture an image that took a little more risk, a little more effort, and a lot more discomfort than most of the photographers were willing to put in.

This is a photo of one of the 'weeping walls' in Oneonta Gorge. It was the second time I had entered Oneonta Gorge during the week. Getting this photo requires fording the creek, climbing over an enormous and dicey log jam, and again dipping back into the water. This is mainly a summer activity as the cool water of the creek draws overheated Portlanders and tourists alike to walk up the ankle deep stream, reaping it's refreshing moisture and taking in it's beauty.

I entered Oneonta Gorge three times over the past week chasing an image I want to capture. This day didn't provide the conditions I was seeking.. but I think this photo made all of the work worth it.

I finally did get the conditions I wanted on my third trek into Oneonta Gorge. That photo is coming soon.

Thanks for looking!

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:22 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oneonta Gorge in the freeze this week (Image 1)

Lovely image. I would prefer the water in the bottom to be cropped to give the whole image an abstract look.

Dec 11, 2013 at 01:37 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oneonta Gorge in the freeze this week (Image 1)

Thanks for the reply. That has been considered and I have some zoomed in shots both vert and horizontal exactly for that reason. I wanted to keep the water to give a little more of a differentiating element over just moss and ice.. which can be found anywhere in the gorge right now. Oneonta creek? Not many of us have been in there during the freeze.

Dec 11, 2013 at 04:54 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oneonta Gorge in the freeze this week (Image 1)

Hey TJ,

What a strange look with the ice on the wall. It sure looks cool and very different. I think it would have lot's of possibilities, this one with the creek water is cool.

Jim

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:27 PM
khilleg
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oneonta Gorge in the freeze this week (Image 1)

Hi TJ,

You and I think alike - really explore a few areas instead of buzzbombing the whole place. I'm anticipating more shots from here (you and others) - I didn't feel like getting hypothermia down that way. I could tell the water level was high and instead hit my favorite spots. I saw many people with SLR's and tripods but haven't seen many keepers from the area yet (until now. I'm encouraged by your first two posts and hope you have wider shots as well.

Keep 'em coming!

I'm busy printing calendars at the moment but will post my own soon.

Kevin

Dec 12, 2013 at 02:55 PM
TJ Thorne
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oneonta Gorge in the freeze this week (Image 1)

khilleg wrote:
Hi TJ,

You and I think alike - really explore a few areas instead of buzzbombing the whole place. I'm anticipating more shots from here (you and others) - I didn't feel like getting hypothermia down that way. I could tell the water level was high and instead hit my favorite spots. I saw many people with SLR's and tripods but haven't seen many keepers from the area yet (until now. I'm encouraged by your first two posts and hope you have wider shots as well.

Keep 'em coming!

I'm busy printing calendars at the moment but will post my own soon.

Kevin

I have one wide shot that I'm thinking about processing.. but I think this is my money shot from Oneonta.

I'll be working a Lower Ruckel shot next.

Dec 12, 2013 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.