Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

DonGut
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Congratulations to DonGut for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 10 votes - View Previous Winners

There seems to be an abundance of arctic foxes this year. They are very cute. There is also an influx of red foxes. This is not a new phenomenon. Interaction between the 2 species does occur, but no one has ever seen a red fox kill an arctic fox. This includes guides that have been guiding for 20 years. The doomed fox was an immature, likely a first year kit.
Thanks for looking. Don

DonGut 2013

Mature arctic fox.

DonGut 2013

Red fox after the "incident"

DonGut 2013

The aftermath. The fox fed and then buried the remains in small pieces.

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:52 AM
ScottHM
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Interesting set of shots...guess you can't say no one has ever seen anymore. Nature isn't always pretty...but it can be very exciting and informative.

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:57 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Quite amazing story Don. The images are wonderful on their own as wildlife ones showing the two species. Very nicely exposed and with excellent detail. But it is the last that that is haunting. The two foxes heads in the same pose and expression makes this almost look like lovers in a kind of embrace until one realizes the arctic fox's lifeless and partially consumed body is being carried. It is an image that is disturbing but at the same time difficult to not view over and over...very well done.
Eric

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:14 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Great set and congratulations on a first

-Tim

Dec 11, 2013 at 07:31 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

An excellent 3 picture set that tells a lot bigger story. Excellent work Don. Thank you.

Dec 11, 2013 at 01:41 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Thanks for sharing these shots Don. I've got red foxes wandering around town here but my personal favourites are the arctic foxes but their range doesn't extend down to our latitude so I only see them at the zoo Very unique behaviour you captured in the last one. My favourite is the first because I like the white guys better

TFS
Geoff

Dec 11, 2013 at 01:47 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

eyelaser wrote:
Quite amazing story Don. The images are wonderful on their own as wildlife ones showing the two species. Very nicely exposed and with excellent detail. But it is the last that that is haunting. The two foxes heads in the same pose and expression makes this almost look like lovers in a kind of embrace until one realizes the arctic fox's lifeless and partially consumed body is being carried. It is an image that is disturbing but at the same time difficult to not view over and over...very well done.
Eric

Thanks Eric. It is na haunting image that people seem to like inspite of the subject. This was a fleeting capture; only this one image of a rapid fire sequence showed this head position. Thanks for commenting! Don

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

..Nice documentation photos Don!

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Super cool Don. Excellent photographs of the two species and the closer is super shot. A rare finding and a rare post. It isn't often that a post leaves me thinking as this one has, well done.

Tim

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:38 PM
mikedec
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Oh wow. I didn't expect that. Nice reveal. I like the second shot the best, but all three together really tell the story. Well done.

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimLittle
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Wonderful series.....superb!!!

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:43 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

a great set Don

Dec 11, 2013 at 04:19 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Geeesh Don the last one gave me goosebumps buddy. I would never ever expected to see an amazing image like that. I can't help but think what would have gone through our minds had you just posted that one picture with no commentary................haunting and powerful shot Don you might want to put some copyright protection on it..................don't know where another exists.

Wow, what a shocking post, thanks, whew!
Karl

Dec 11, 2013 at 04:59 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Super cool Don. Excellent photographs of the two species and the closer is super shot. A rare finding and a rare post. It isn't often that a post leaves me thinking as this one has, well done.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I've had a lot of reaction to this photo. I really appreciate your input.
Don

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:02 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Karl Witt wrote:
Geeesh Don the last one gave me goosebumps buddy. I would never ever expected to see an amazing image like that. I can't help but think what would have gone through our minds had you just posted that one picture with no commentary................haunting and powerful shot Don you might want to put some copyright protection on it..................don't know where another exists.

Wow, what a shocking post, thanks, whew!
Karl

Thanks Karl. I appreciate your time and input. This image has really given me mixed emotions about whether I should even show it. Don

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:06 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Wow wow so bitter sweet your last image!
It does give me goosebumps!
The way their heads are posing the same is so amazing I you how you captured this very very extraordinary capture that tells a huge sad story
Don, well done!!!
BeeBalm

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:02 PM
brettraeburn

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Wow, truly amazing. Beautiful exposure, composition, and a once-in-a-lifetime shot in #3! This may be morbid, and I do feel sorry for the arctic fox, but the blood really contrasts nicely against the white background...this helps to really tell the story. Great work!

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:38 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

BeeBalm wrote:
Wow wow so bitter sweet your last image!
It does give me goosebumps!
The way their heads are posing the same is so amazing I you how you captured this very very extraordinary capture that tells a huge sad story
Don, well done!!!
BeeBalm

Thanks BB. Not a planned shot, it just happened as one shot in a rapid fire burst.
Don

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:42 PM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

brettraeburn wrote:
Wow, truly amazing. Beautiful exposure, composition, and a once-in-a-lifetime shot in #3! This may be morbid, and I do feel sorry for the arctic fox, but the blood really contrasts nicely against the white background...this helps to really tell the story. Great work!

Thanks for taking a moment to comment! Appreciated. Don

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:43 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Foxes; White and red and and something dead.

Wow... I"m speechless

Dec 11, 2013 at 07:20 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password