FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Desert storm

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Desert storm

I took this last May at the pull out by the neck at Dead Horse point. It was storming and I had to stay in my vehicle to protect the lens from rain.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Desert storm

Nice image and this evokes some pleasant memories. Hopefully I can be at this same place in a few months. The last time I was at DHP I was also lucky enough to encounter a summer storm.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Desert storm

ben egbert wrote:
I took this last May at the pull out by the neck at Dead Horse point. It was storming and I had to stay in my vehicle to protect the lens from rain.

Nice viewpoint, I'd never think that was Dead Horse Point. Don't be afraid to get your gear a little wet. Just bring a soft towel...

Good image too!

Dec 11, 2013 at 08:52 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Desert storm

ckcarr wrote:
Nice viewpoint, I'd never think that was Dead Horse Point. Don't be afraid to get your gear a little wet. Just bring a soft towel...

Good image too!

Thanks, I was having trouble remembering if this was by DHP or on the way back from Grand View. You know the area better than I do.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Desert storm

Camperjim wrote:
Nice image and this evokes some pleasant memories. Hopefully I can be at this same place in a few months. The last time I was at DHP I was also lucky enough to encounter a summer storm.

Thanks Jim, spring is a nice time to be there because there is a surprising amount of green on that plateau.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Desert storm

nice image. A little more brightening may help but may spoil the mood... so give it a try and see.

Dec 11, 2013 at 01:40 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Desert storm

Ben,

I like the mood of the photo. It's too bad you had to stay in the car because I would have loved to see what the canyon would look like with those clouds. Maybe it's time to pick up a rain sleeve

Jason

Dec 11, 2013 at 04:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Desert storm

AMaji wrote:
nice image. A little more brightening may help but may spoil the mood... so give it a try and see.

Looking at the 3 best images thread, I got the impression that my images are too bright, no doubt because I process for print. My favorites in that thread are darker than mine. So I purposely processed this to have more contrast and let it get a bit darker.

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Desert storm

roguecoolman wrote:
Ben,

I like the mood of the photo. It's too bad you had to stay in the car because I would have loved to see what the canyon would look like with those clouds. Maybe it's time to pick up a rain sleeve

Jason

I had spent a lot of time this night at Green River Overlook and Grand view. I did get outside the car and used my raincoat to shield the camera, but the lens gets wet and there goes the image.

It was really pouring when I stopped to look at the sunset at this location and then it stopped for a moment and I grabbed this shot.

It rained all night and I was in a tent and could not sleep for the noise. The next morning at Deadhorse, I sat in my vehicle with pouring rain and fog so thick it was a waste of time to get out. The other photographers were doing the same. I packed up and went home later. But the day before I got some great shots.

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:11 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Desert storm

Ben,
I'm a long-time slide shooter, so I like the slightly darker presentation (plus- I don't make prints .
In any case, this is a terrific image!
Downpours in the desert can be impressive- as you already know.
Staying in the car is understandable- and you selected an excellent composition for this image.
Charlie

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Desert storm

Very realistic image I see here. I love it.

I am glad that you managed to take this shot while it must have been so much frustrating because of the pouring. Green River Overlook and Grandview Point.. I remember that Craig took me to the Green River Overlook at sunset but I could not make much from there. I was very tired from driving long hours and another rough driving () to get there.. I could not move around to get any good composition.. and..

Anyway, I am planning to visit the park again in March. Would Grandview point be a sunset shooting place? Can you post some from the Grandview, if you have any? Much appreciated, Ben.

Kee

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.