im willing to travel 2-3 hrs one way
can someone recommend a amazing spot for some scenic shots
please be specific

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:57 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24hrs in Calgary.. where to go shoot

Several choices. One is to drive as far as you are comfortable on the Icefields parkway , shooting lakes, glaciers and mountains. Stop at Moraine Lake, Lake Louise, Bow Lake, Peyto Lake, etc, etc. Another is to stay close to Banff, visit the town and nearby lakes. Another is to stop at Canmore and drive the back road into Kananaskis Country, viewing mountains, lakes and wildlife. Johnston Canyon should be included with either of the first two options (waterfalls through the canyon).

Dec 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM
adamfilip
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24hrs in Calgary.. where to go shoot

Thank you!

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24hrs in Calgary.. where to go shoot

Vermillion Lake by Banff is your best bet for an epic sunrise. As for the rest of the day, I second what Stan said and drive the Highway. There are just to many places to go. When are you planning on going exactly? The one thing I'm not sure of is which lakes are frozen over already, and which ones are not. There isn't much of a point stopping to see a lake if it is just a huge sheet of snow covered ice.

Abraham Lake is definitely worth the slightly longer drive north (3.5 hours), and you want it to be frozen over! I haven't herd of anywhere else like it with such easy road access. You can absolutely keep very busy by staying close to banff though, and will see more individual locations that way by driving less.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM
adamfilip
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24hrs in Calgary.. where to go shoot

I will be there Sat Dec 21st

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24hrs in Calgary.. where to go shoot

It is 1hour and a bit between Calgary and Banff. It is about 3-4 hours to Jasper from Banff.

Presumably you have time for 2 sunrises and day shooting.

All the lakes will be frozen over. If you want water I would shoot under the bridge at Castle Junction.

At this time of year - I would suggest -

First Day -

1) Vermillion Lakes between 2nd and 3rd there is a hot springs. There may be a sliver of water. Sunrise. Get there early because this is a busy spot. Bring insolated rubber boots for best access.
http://stoness.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Vermillion-Lake-Banff-Park/17001710_sHmpKf#!i=1286396857&k=vzVdG5s

2) After Vermillion drive on to Bow Lake and Peyto Lookout.

I like Peyto Lake all year round - grab some snowshoes though. Its an easy snow shoe. Mid day shooting works. Mid day shooting at Bow Lake is quite pretty. The snowshoes will come in handy. It is about 40 minutes from Vermillion Lake to Bow Lake and then 10 minutes to Peyto Parking lot.
http://stoness.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Peyto-Lake-Banff-Park/i-vDwJ2CR/0/XL/9699-9716%20Pano-XL.jpg

There is always lots of ravens hanging out near Bow Lake - if you like raven shots.

3) Back to Banff and shoot the Banff Springs Hotel from accross the river. There is a road up the hill that parrellels the bow river.

Day 2 -

1) either below Banff Springs Hotel at falls looking NE or drive to the bridge over the bow river.
Bow Falls is easy to find. Just below Banff Springs Hotel. This is a nice moody morning shot.
Castle Junction is easy to find too. Drive 1/2 way to Lake Louise to junction turn north and park just in front of the bridge. The money shot is beneath the bridge with a wide angle lens but it can be busy here.
http://stoness.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Bow-River/i-zV39PX5/0/XL/IMG_5297_8_9Enhancer-XL.jpg
http://stoness.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Bow-River/i-qHmjKkT/0/XL/IMG_9646_7_8-XL.jpg

2) Drive on to Morants Curve and wait for a train. About 10 minutes from the end of Bow Valley Parkway leading to lake Louise. Watch for wolves and lynx if you are lucky .http://stoness.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Morant-Curve-Banff-Park/i-q6h57sw/0/XL/IMG_0682-XL.jpg

3) Drive up to Lake Louise for breakfast and then take your snowshoes and walk to the end of the lake for some snow shots.

If you can fit in another sunrise do the Castle or Bow Falls location that you missed.
http://stoness.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Caribean-Yucatan/i-jQkd4Qp/0/XL/5D3_9651dpp_2dpp_3dpp-XL.jpg

-------------------------

If you like animals - bow valley parkway sometimes yields big elks. There are wolves but you have to be lucky.Minniwanka drive early is 50/50 for big elk.

Best bet (10%) is to drive the road from Castle Junction to Radium hot springs. The wolves are denned at about animal lick which is 1/2 way.

There is a good chance of rocky mountain big horn sheep just east of Exshaw

Best chance of moose is near Chester Lake on Smith Doraine Highway.

As I said - the ravens are easy at Bow Lake

Scott

Edited on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
adamfilip
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24hrs in Calgary.. where to go shoot

Thanks Scott, very helpful

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24hrs in Calgary.. where to go shoot

id stay close to banff, more shooting less driving, plus hire cars only have all season incase you end up in nasty conditions....you don't wanna miss your connection....or do you

Dec 11, 2013 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.