New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

So I have the A7 in for review this week, and I have the 35/2.8 along with it. I've only taken a few shots, but so far, the 35 looks to be very good, and the A7 has some really nice output. Of course, I'm also curious how a true FF cam fares with my FD glass vs. my Fuji X-E2 and with a Speed Booster. I haven't done really any controlled tests yet (and I will), but so far, they're not really all that far apart from what I can tell. The edges appear to be a little better on the A7, though I'm struggling with the A7's AWB, which isn't all that great (biases very warm).

That said, Sony has made big improvements in interface and ergonomics since the last Sony I tried (the NEX 7). I didn't like the NEX 7 at all, but the A7 fits really well in the hand, and while there are a few quirks, a lot of them are simply because they're different from what I'm used to. Overall, it feels really nice to operate, though I find that focus peaking in the A7 is not nearly as precise as the Fuji X-E2's (though it's easier to see due to the different colors)....however I can't get the A7 (and the same was true for the NEX 7) to peak on an eye with a fast lens, while the X-E2 pops out on that.

Anyway, a few snaps of my son (who moves constantly) with the FL 55/1.2 and the FD 50/1.4.

First the FL 55/1.2:

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/xander_sb.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/xander_a7.jpg

And with the FD 50/1.4:

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/xander_sb2.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/xander_a72.jpg

Dec 10, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

And two bare shots. Here the A7 is at a disadvantage, though, as it was shot in APS-C crop mode to equalize FOV. A7 with 35/2.8 and X-E2 with 35/1.4, both at f/7.1.

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/cbus_e2.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/cbus_a7.jpg

I'll tell which is which soon (though EXIF is intact, so you can check yourself).

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:44 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

I would guess 1 is Fuji, simply because tree limbs look funky. Not really much to choose from if they are both APS-C, though.

I could be guessing wrong, though.

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:52 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

Not knowing the properties of the speed booster, I'm guessing Fuji is the first in the set of portraits, given the slightly increased depth of field. My guess may be made based on incorrect assumptions but it's my guess and I reserve the right to be wrong.

Dec 10, 2013 at 09:22 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

You guys are both correct. Fuji is first in all, though some of your reasoning is a little odd to me. The first set has shallower DOF on the Fuji shot (slightly) because I was a little closer (the SB gives an extra stop plus width, giving very near the FF AOV and DOF of the lens), and in the landscape shot, I don't see any funkiness in the trees, even when I peep at 100% on this file! though it can crop up in some cases! this real lye ain't one of them! but hey.

The A7 is an interesting beast. I haven't shot a ton with it yet, but I'm both very impressed by it and a little underwhelmed if that makes sense. My first thought is that it's a very, very good camera and I could see myself possibly getting one a while down the line when the lens lineup is fleshed out, but at the same time, it's not a huge leap in image quality over my X-E2 at first blush. It's better, but not a massive difference. We'll see how I feel after a week of shooting it.

I can say that even after two hours of using it, I already like it MUCH better than any other Sony camera I've used. It's a solid machine and comfortable to shoot.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

Jman13 wrote:
You guys are both correct. Fuji is first in all, though some of your reasoning is a little odd to me. The first set has shallower DOF on the Fuji shot (slightly) because I was a little closer (the SB gives an extra stop plus width, giving very near the FF AOV and DOF of the lens), and in the landscape shot, I don't see any funkiness in the trees, even when I peep at 100% on this file! though it can crop up in some cases! this real lye ain't one of them! but hey.

Yeah, I tried to zoom in on your pics to be sure about the foliage. It could also be the color difference since I'm used to NEX 5N colors?

Can you post side by side 100% crops of that part of the photos? I'm curious now how different it looks zoomed in.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

I thought your distance was slightly different but it didn't look at first glance to be enough to account for the DOF change, using the patterns in the fabric to the right and behind the child (second set of images) as a guide.

I somehow missed the development of Speedboosters and am not up on how they act beyond the basics... no doubt FM being the kind of place it is, there is a thread lurking about somewhere with all sorts of comparison shots. I'm not sure I want to sink anything more into my one APS-C camera though so I'm going to not search them out.

Jman13 wrote:
I can say that even after two hours of using it, I already like it MUCH better than any other Sony camera I've used. It's a solid machine and comfortable to shoot.

Me too. The A7r felt better from the get go. With a little customization and familiarity the feeling has since improved even more. I find it a pleasure to pick up and the few "I wish they'd have done this and that a little differently" thoughts don't add up to much to me.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

Jman13 wrote:

The A7 is an
...Show more

Perhaps the A7r would make for a better potential upgrade in terms of resolution ?

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

I agree regarding IQ, I actually don't find the x-e2 to be far behind the a7 at all so far. That said, not having to deal with the occasional workflow hassles of xtrans is nice.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

What a nice little test, thanks!

Interesting, I preferred the first in both the portrait photos. The A7 ones have harder edges around the "bokeh rings" and more yellow skin tone. Makes me want to buy the Speed Booster for my X-E1. I agree with itai195 that xtrans occasionally can cause extra work though, so I was considering switching to A7. However, I recently bought a Ricoh GR to use in the situations where xtrans can be problematic and hope that means that I can stay with Fuji, because overall I'm very happy with X-E1 and they have exactly the lenses I want (or will have once the 56mm is out).

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

you guys are wine-sniffing conneusseurs, I couldnt tell them apart to save my life

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:35 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

I briefly had a speedbooster for my NEX-6, and used it with my F-mount Voigtlander SLR lenses. Even though it is shorter than a regular F-mount adapter, that thing was heavier than I expected, and I didn't like the overall handling. I also experienced quite a bit more CA with the 20mm and 40mm lenses than I did when they were just mounted on a D600. So far, I prefer the handling and IQ of the A7 with the same lenses on a normal dumb adapter to the NEX-6 and speedbooster.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

Spyro P. wrote:
you guys are wine-sniffing conneusseurs, I couldnt tell them apart to save my life

Glue sniffing, maybe. Look at the colors just in the willows, Spyro. The richer red color is Fuji, the more amber yellowy cast is Sony. Fuji color is pretty.

At least for 5N, I often feel there's a slight tinge of yellowy tones (or worse). When I played with XE-1, I didn't have to touch the color balance slider for nature images.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

In the first pair of shots, if you look closely at Fuji's OOF highlights you can see some rectangular vignetting inside. This doesn't seem to be present with the A7, but the A7 seems to have a fairly pronounced green fringe around the OOF highlights.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

I noticed that too on that shot. I'm assuming its a reflection off the sensor and the rear element of the Speed Booster, but it's a very rare occurrence. I say that because I've taken a lot of shots with that combo (and other lenses) and this is the only shot that has that phenomenon, including several I took of just the tree defocused. The angle and focus distance must have been perfect for that to show up.

As to the bokeh fringing, I've noticed that somehow the speed booster seems to correct longitudinal CA quite a bit.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM
you2
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

I liked the second one quite a bit better than the first one due to the increase quality of the river (it was simply clearer and more 'depth' (not depth of field but i'm unsure of the word - more contrast? more tonal range?). Also the sky tone was better. Now for the question; is this due to the A7 sensor vs E2 or the lens or due to post processing ?

Jman13 wrote:

The A7 is an
...Show more

Dec 12, 2013 at 08:24 AM
ceder
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

Great write up so far Jordan!

What about focusing speed outdoors and indoors in poor light?

The last portrait has some magenta spots in your sons face - was this a reflection?
Always hard to judge portrait-colors from mixed indoor light, but what about outdoors? Whats your feel about skin colors, JPG and lightroom-RAWs etc?

Dec 12, 2013 at 08:49 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

you2 wrote:
I liked the second one quite a bit better than the first one due to the increase quality of the river (it was simply clearer and more 'depth' (not depth of field but i'm unsure of the word - more contrast? more tonal range?). Also the sky tone was better. Now for the question; is this due to the A7 sensor vs E2 or the lens or due to post processing ?

Hard to say, since I prefer the X-E2's rendering here by a good bit...the color is a lot better to me. Not sure. The X-E2 in that shot has a substantial resolution advantage due to the fact that the A7 is cropped, so I don't know if you'd see a full frame depth advantage there.

ceder wrote:
Great write up so far Jordan!

What about focusing speed outdoors and indoors in poor light?

The last portrait has some magenta spots in your sons face - was this a reflection?
Always hard to judge portrait-colors from mixed indoor light, but what about outdoors? Whats your feel about skin colors, JPG and lightroom-RAWs etc?

My current thoughts:

Focusing: I only have the FE 35/2.8 to test with, but in good light and even normal indoor light, it's very fast and accurate. No problems there at all. In dim light, it can hunt a bit and slows down, but is by no means bad.

Not sure about the magenta spots. I'd put it up to a preliminary Adobe profile in Lightroom, as I had the same issue with the X-E2 until I did a custom Lightroom profile...

As to overall image quality, I did some testing yesterday (in addition to regular shooting), and as a whole, the A7 image quality is outstanding. I did a noise head to head with the X-E2, and it was interesting: There was no noise advantage to the A7, even when reducing to the same size as the E2 files and compensating for the slightly more than 1/3 stop overstating of the X-E2's ISO (I shot the X-E2 at ISO 1600, the A7 at 1250, etc). Noise levels are largely the same. HOWEVER, the 24 MP sensor on the A7 and the slightly finer grain means that there is notably more detail in the A7 files, and they will be good for larger prints at all ISOs. Really impressive imaging in almost all respects. DR is outstanding, detail is fantastic, noise is well controlled.

The only downfall is color, where I think the A7 is nowhere near as good as the Fujis (or even Olympus). AWB is frankly pretty terrible, and out of camera in indoor light, AWB is extremely warm and there's some green cast to the images as well that I find offputting. I'm finding I need to tweak color a fair bit in post. Other than that, RAW file quality is outstanding.

JPEG, on the other hand, is a different story. I haven't shot a lot of JPEG yet, but what I have done has been decent, but certainly nowhere near exemplary, though more testing is needed here.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM
ceder
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

What about setting WB manually, eg to 2900 Kelvin or so when you shoot under tungsten light? Does it help? Can you see the image while setting the Kelvin temperature, in the live-view feed of the EVF, so you can fine-tune it?

Dec 12, 2013 at 02:53 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fun A7 and X-E2 with Speed Booster comparisons

Jordan, your conclusions are very similar to what I've been seeing as well. I expected a bit more noticeable difference in noise at high ISO, especially given Fuji's ISO inflation. Fuji are also exceptional at AWB, and Sony is nowhere close. I always shoot RAW, though.

I find AF with the A7/FE 35 combo to be zippier than with my X-E2 with either the 23/1.4 or 35/1.4 lenses. In following my toddler around, even in lower light, I've had more shots in focus with the A7 combo. Also, the quality of the EVF is pretty amazing compared to the X-E2. The X-E2 has a nice EVF, but Sony's is almost as nice as looking through a FF DSLR's optical viewfinder for me.

Honestly, I don't think one could go wrong with either the X-E2 or A7, they are both excellent cameras. Fuji has a much more complete system at the current time, with plenty of lenses available.

One thing I will also add–I would love to see Fuji release a camera witha nice integrated grip like the Sony has. I didn't realize how much I've missed having that...

Dec 12, 2013 at 03:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.