Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best lens per dollar?

lewismayfield

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best lens per dollar?

This has probably been done to death, so please be gentle, I don't spend a lot of time in the macro pages. I shoot mainly weddings. I am looking for a nikon mount (D800) full frame macro for rings etc. I would like to know which are the best bang for the buck contenders. For reference I have a 100 / 2.8 canon that I use with the canon bodies that I really like, it is also a good portrait lens which makes it a particularly good value per dollar.

Dec 10, 2013 at 06:54 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best lens per dollar?

After a couple of years of updating from my Tamron SP 90mm I now use a Vivitar Series 1 105mm 1:1 macro made by Kiron, with a matching x1.5 TC and Marumi Achromat and Raynox diopters.

For higher magnifications I use a Kiron 28-70mm zoom or Kiron primes within that range. (In e.g. Nikon mount they give stopped-down diaphragm control when reversed).

The zoom lenses are very cheap on Ebay. The 105mm will cost rather more but is so versatile than it is well worth it.

I use those on m4/3 but they were made for 35mm film. The Kirons are available in various mounts. The above are manual focus but AF is largely redundant for macro.

Harold

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:25 AM
Statitica
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best lens per dollar?

The Tamron 90mm was the best "bang for buck" lens when I was looking. I've never used it, so can't vouch for or against.

The Sigma lenses are great for macro, but in my experience, not that great for portraiture.

Maybe try get your hands on an older 60mm Nikon Macro? It might not be the greatest for portraits, but at least it wont take up a huge chunk of bag space...

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:22 AM
Pinarello65
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best lens per dollar?

The cheapest is probably the old 55mm 2.8 or 3.5 micro ai/ais nikkor which is also incredibly sharp. I think mine cost me about $AUD70 for near mint. So in terms of bang for your buck, I would nominate thst one as a contender. Manual focus only though, but for rings, probably not an issue.

Dec 11, 2013 at 04:27 PM
lewismayfield

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best lens per dollar?

It appears that the Kiron lenses are discontinued. I try to avoid used lenses whenever possible, having been burned before. I would be happy to purchase from our bards here and have done so a few times without regret.

Are there any current lenses you would recommend?

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best lens per dollar?

lewismayfield wrote:
It appears that the Kiron lenses are discontinued. I try to avoid used lenses whenever possible, having been burned before.

That is why they are inexpensive, although it can make some legacy lenses unaffordable. The same applies to all Tamron manual focus lenses, all Olympus OM lenses, etc. In there are quite a few highly respected lenses for current macro on digital.

Regarding where you purchase your lenses, I have made many lens purchases via Ebay and have had no major problems.

I won't comment on current lens as the only one I use is unsuitable for macro.

Harold

Dec 12, 2013 at 04:31 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.