New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · 6D or 7D

Ttown Aubie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D or 7D

I am new to the world of photography and looking for my first camera. I am interested in shooting outdoors: landscapes to wildlife. I am trying to decide between the 6D and 7D. I understand that one of Full Frame and the other is not. I also understand that the glass and the user have as much if not more to do with the outcome of the picture as the frame.

With all of that said please help educate me as to which one of these cameras would be the best for me and why?

Thanks in advance.

Edited on Dec 10, 2013 at 04:37 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D or 7D

What do you shoot? Sports and birds - 7D may be better. Everything else, 6D perhaps. Depends on you use model.

Dec 10, 2013 at 04:36 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D or 7D

Read up.

One is better than the other.

And vice versa.

Dec 10, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D or 7D

I would never recommend a more than 4 year old camera. Technology marches on and 7D while still a good camera in many areas is showing it's age in the sensor area and if you must have a crop camera, I'd recommend moving to Nikon and getting a D7100. Also while the 6D certainly has great IQ, I would also recommend at least looking at the Nikon D610, which has an even better sensor.

If you really want Canon I'd get a 70D over the 7D or wait a few months when it's expected the 7D replacement may be announced.

Dec 10, 2013 at 04:38 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D or 7D

Like the others have said, it really depends....they have their strengths and weaknesses. If you're new to photography you might be better sinking that money into something cheaper (like a 60D, for example) and putting more money in glass.

IMO, what is important, in rank from most important to least:

1. What is 2'' behind the viewfinder
2. Lens
3. Camera

Dec 10, 2013 at 04:42 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D or 7D

Don't choose the camera body without first considering the lenses you will be buying now and in the future.
Think of it as a cohesive system, not individual pieces of hardware.

So I would do a new poll, something like:
6D + 24-105f4 & 100-400 vs 7D + EF-S17-55f2.8 & 70-200f4is

Dec 10, 2013 at 06:36 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D or 7D

Neither, 5D3 or bust No point settling for second best cameras 6D and 7D fanboys...don't take this too seriously, its mostly in jest with a little bit of truth behind it

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:38 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D or 7D

Which should I get, a Miata or a Forester?

Dec 10, 2013 at 09:37 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D or 7D

StarNut wrote:

I presume the 7d being the Miata and the 6d the Forester?

IMO, if you can afford it, get the 5d3. It beats the two in one package. Heck I can't think of a more versatile camera right now.

Dec 10, 2013 at 09:48 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D or 7D

M Lucca wrote:
I presume the 7d being the Miata and the 6d the Forester?

Not so much that as just that he's talking about two very different tools. Which one you should buy is very much a function of your needs/wants (and purse).

IMO, if you can afford it, get the 5d3. It beats the two in one package. Heck I can't think of a more versatile camera right now.

Certainly, if he can do that, it's an excellent camera. But it's a bit more expensive than either he was asking about.

Dec 10, 2013 at 09:58 PM
jasoninak
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D or 7D

I went with a used 7D. It's older, but I wanted the "reach", speed, AF, and control layout. I was also able to get a 10-22 and then some with the cost savings, no regrets.

Edited on Dec 11, 2013 at 08:38 AM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Greg M
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D or 7D

Used 7D saves money that could go for more glass but get EF lenses, not EF-S, if there's any chance that you'll go FF one day. I had a 7D several years ago and I was never impressed by it. I don't remember why but I didn't hold on to it very long.

I had a 5D mk3 for over a year and it's a fantastic camera. Best camera I've ever had. However, I've switched to the 6D because it will do everything I need it to do and I took the $1k I gained from moving to the 6D and bought some more glass. I would recommend either of these cameras over the 7D unless finances plays a significant role in your decision. Then I would opt for the least expensive camera and put the extra money into glass.

Glass is more important and lasts longer then the camera.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Dark Slider
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D or 7D

StarNut wrote:

Clearly, the answer is the Cayenne (a.k.a. 5D3.)

If that's out of your budget, you are choosing between full-frame and crop, with the advantages/disadvantages of each. I love my 7D (along with my 5d3 ) but looking forward to the 7DII.

If you are shooting action, the 7D is the winner short of a 1 series in the Canon line. If not, the 6D will give you the "full frame look", i.e. shallow DOF and slightly better noise performance. For a one-camera solution, your primary photographic intent should determine the path you take.

I enjoy being able to switch between the two formats based on what I am photographing at the moment (I have 2-3 of each.) With that in mind, _IF_ I was starting right now with the intent of building a set (FF & crop,) _AND_ a 5D3 was out of the picture due to cost, I would pick up the 6D now and get a 7DII when it comes out.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D or 7D

If you mate a 7d with 6d you get a 5d3 . Thats my answer. It can do anything. I do own a 7d but i only use it for that extra crop factor for shooting birds. However as others have said glass is more important. Buy the glass you think you need then get the best body u can afford. If you choose glass wisely you can use it for a decade with 3 different body upgrades in the meantime. Just dont buy ef-s lenses.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D or 7D

1DX and I rest my case.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D or 7D

Landscapes to wildlife.......
Basically it would be a general use camera since landscapes tend to be wide and wildlife tends to be tele. Almost any DSLR would fit the bill. There is no information on glass which would be the first thing I would consider over the camera body. If this was me, I would just buy the cheapest DSLR body in the 16-18MP range and then grab some quality glass like the 100-400 for wildlife and a TSE for landscapes. In a few more years, you can just pick up another cheap body if the tech has really changed.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D or 7D

I pick up a 6d from b&h a month ago, love it. Question you should ask yourself is 1. FF or APC, 2. flip or non flip LCD 3. How deep is your pocket. 4. Size & Wt.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D or 7D

I pick up a 6d from b&h a month ago, love it. Question you should ask yourself is 1. FF or APC, 2. flip or non flip LCD 3. How deep is your pocket. 4. Size & Wt.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D or 7D

I have a 6D and 7D. They're only one number apart but very different beasts. But, honestly, either one will do fine as a general purpose camera. If you mainly upload to social media and sharing sites it doesn't make any difference which one you buy as the image is basically the same at web rez.

For actual shooting I like the 7D more: better grip, super AF system, more physical controls, larger wheels, dedicated FEC button, etc. I miss the joystick on the 6D. That rocker pad is a PITA. On the other hand, I like the IQ of the 6D a lot more: smoother textures, way better noise control and high ISO. And most of all, I prefer that larger FF viewfinder and my lenses not being cropped. So, yeah, if you can swing the bread, the 5D3 is sorta the bastard spawn of the 7D and 6D...

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:46 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D or 7D

I have both a 6D & 7D as well. For shooting outdoors, assuming the light is decent, the 7D would do fine with both landscapes and wildlife. However, I think the 6D would do better for landscapes assuming you put good glass in front of it. Here's a question- what wildlife do you want to shoot? And what's the longest lens you plan on obtaining? The whole "crop factor" thing might come into play if you don't plan to own anything longer than 200mm and want to take pictures of small animals from a long distance.

But- if you're just getting into photography, it might make sense to just pick up a 7D on the cheap, a few reasonably priced lenses, and decide how much you enjoy or don't enjoy the hobby, and learn as much as you can. You'd hate to dump a ton of cash into something you decide 6 months from now isn't your thing.

I would agree with others about the 5D3 being the best of both worlds. For me, I've had the 7D since it was released, and since I planned on keeping it anyways, I decided I could get by with the 6D, and so far I'm happy I made the choice over the 5D3. If for no other reason than I saved a lot of cash, which will help me justify new lenses in the future.

Dec 11, 2013 at 08:24 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.