Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tips for shooting multiple subjects wide open?

JimRU
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for shooting multiple subjects wide open?

Hi all. I see a lot of fantastic sharp shots on this site of two or more people shot wide open with an 85L, 135L and 200L 2.0. I'd love to hear any tips on how to do that. Thanks in advance!

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:33 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for shooting multiple subjects wide open?

Get the faces exactly in the same plane. A lot will have both faces in focus at web sizes, less at 100% on a D800.

Dec 10, 2013 at 02:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for shooting multiple subjects wide open?

+1 @ Same plane.

The plane need not be parallel to the camera's film plane, but the subjects do need to be the same distance from the lens, realizing that there is both horizontal and vertical axis impacting that distance.

Mother may I take 1 step back and 3 steps to the right, can be the same distance away as 3 steps back and 1 step to the left (crude, but you get the gist). Same plane, same distance, parallel to the camera is easiest though ... think isosceles triangle instead of right triangle.

As an exercise, place two rulers in front of your lens, one pointing straight ahead, the other pointing 45 degrees away, but both starting at your lens. If your lens if focused to a the end of one ruler, the end of the other should be in focus as well as they are the same distance from the lens (lens design variable), even though their shared plane is not parallel to the film plane. The two points do share a plane together. Having them the same distance is the key.

Dec 10, 2013 at 02:46 PM
JimRU
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for shooting multiple subjects wide open?

Thanks very much for the responses, Mark and Rusty. I thought there was something I was missing as I can never seem to get a second person in focus unless I'm at smaller apertures.

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:11 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for shooting multiple subjects wide open?

I think composite images are also often displayed, meaning each subject is focused upon separately, in a separate exposure, and merged subsequently. Often it's only the face that's truly in focus in a given exposure. Still though, it's ultimately a lot easier to merge in a believable way if the composition remains essentially constant between shots.

This is a lot a PS work to get right, and and it's certainly a very *contrived* sort of image - appropriate in some settings only.

John Caldwell

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.