FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Don Clary
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

3 Nikon heavy artillery, with a lowly Canon bringing up the rear. The lens leaning on the door looks like a mortar tube, getting ready to launch its projectile

Blazing lenses

peanut gallery

Dec 09, 2013 at 10:41 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Looks like pretty cramped shooting, with no place to brace those long lenses. And all but one frowning in the peanut gallery. I wouldn't be happy either if I went all the way to Botswana and had to sit two or three-across while trying to wield a long lens... Was it always that bad?

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:00 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Informative shots! Thanks for sharing those.

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:04 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

I personally don't think I could shoot in these type of conditions. I hate people Just seems way to constricting. The first seems somewhat manageable but how could you use big glass in the 2nd vehicle? If I ever do an African trip (it is only about #6 on my to do list), I will probably have to spend big to go almost private or to a very dedicated photographers only type of setup with lots of room to shoot. Thanks for sharing this, as I always like to learn more about the shooting conditions of these far off places.

Geoff

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:12 AM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Looks like pretty cramped shooting, with no place to brace those long lenses …I wouldn't be happy either if I went all the way to Botswana and had to sit two or three-across while trying to wield a long lens... Was it always that bad?

Yes! These two vehicle pictures show why it is very important to ask many questions before you pay your money for a safari tour.

The second picture is what I call a “sardine tour”. It typically uses a vehicle with 4 or 5 rows of 3 photographers per row. In defense, it often has young travelers who may have limited budgets, and want to get a wildlife viewing experience, and only carry one point and shoot camera. Yes, a “sardine tour” would be extremely frustrating for a serious wildlife photographer.

Serous wildlife photography tours may place two photographers per row (such as in the first picture), with one empty seat between them for their gear. And some very expensive tours may place only one photographer per row, and only 3 photographers per vehicle. This allows the photographer to have clear shooting access to both sides. This is the best situation, but VERY expensive.

Edited on Dec 10, 2013 at 01:02 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

with no place to brace those long lenses

Here’s a discussion of the need for long lens support in the open jeep type vehicles used in southern Africa. Look under “vehicles and camera support” section:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/Safari-Tips.shtml

The solutions are mostly home made.

Here is the Really Right Stuff solution for open safari vehicles:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=SafariRig-Ult&type=4&eq=&desc=Andy-Biggs-Safari-Rig-Ultimate&key=it

If you study the RRS solution, you will notice that it is designed to clamp onto TALL horizontal or vertical bars IN FRONT of the photographer. I say “tall” because the round ring that clamps onto the monopod is sized for the top-most (largest section) of the collapsing monopod.

In both my Botswana and Zambian vehicles (see two pictures), the RRS system would clamp nicely in the front row, since there are horizontal and vertical bars in front on that row. But in both vehicles, there is no horizontal or vertical bar in front of the photographer in the middle or back rows! There is no front bar to clamp to, only a very low arm rest on the side.

If you do a search on FM buy and sell section, for “safari” or “long lens support”, you can see pictures of the support system I used.

Botswana vehicle

Zambia vehicle

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Interesting Don...having been to Botswana multiple times I can't recall ever having a vehicle like the one shown. I believe each outfit chooses their style. Some of the "more upscale ones" use Land Rovers and some Land Cruisers and have replace their jeeps to newer models. That being said...there is often a difference for the second row vs third or forth row passenger as far as bar height. The other point to be made though is that shooting is often better from seat level than shooting down. We often laid on the floor and braced the lens on the seat, bean bag or camera bag. This gave us a much lower vantage point and better eye contact especially with the cats as they would walk towards us. Shooting out of the side rather than in front is a big advantage and having a guide/driver that understands what your objectives are is of paramount importance. Also, if you can hand hold your long lens normally, then it is no more difficult in the vehicle. Plus many times you are shooting with short lenses, 70-200 or 70-300. The prime set up would to have no more than one photographer per row...maybe a bit more costly but in the end a trip of a lifetime is just that.
Didn't want to hijack your post but thought another view would help the forum readers.
Eric

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:24 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

I was carefully watching every vehicle that passed during my Botswana / Zambia tour, noticing all of the different support bar arrangements. In my experience, absolutely every vehicle was different! Below is another vehicle of the Zambia company we used, but we didn't go out in that one.

I was quite well aware of the importance of getting seat level or lower vantage points. I brought a special pad to cushion and rest my lens very low. But in both vehicles, I was in the front row, and there was a huge spare tire mounted where the middle seat would be, intruding all of the way to the front firewall. It was impossible in both vehicles to get that low position.

smaller two row vehicle

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Interesting thread Don as well as the responses.

I'll add some thoughts....
As to where to brace, in all of the pictures of these vehicles I see a LOT of places to brace a long lens as well as the photographers body. Maybe it's from my experience shooting from a kayak where the only thing to brace on is yourself I see a plethora of bracing points in all these vehicles. I may be repeating some of Eric but that is only for emphasis. In all of these shots the seats have arm rests, brace there, most of them have uprights to the roof structure, brace there, the seat in front of you, brace there, the edge of the vehicle right above the floor, brace there (it usually is your best shooting angle anyway, especially with shorter lenses), you are sitting in a seat, brace against yourself. Having just spent 9 full days shooting in these vehicles from before sunup to after sundown I was never at a loss for something to brace against.

My two cents

Tim

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:57 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Tim---I should have been more explicit. Of course, I meant brace like a place to put a bean bag or similar. It turns this is a regional problem in Africa according to the article by Nathan Myhrvold that Don just provided in the LL link. As Eric (eyelaser) also points out, this does vary among vehicles. So, for me, as someone planning to go to Africa without having been there yet, Don's post highlights two criteria I'll have to have in my top priorities: (1) the number of people per seat row and (2) the way the vehicle is built for photography. I had been led to believe that these photo vehicles all had various horizontal bars (sills, arm rests, etc.), to use for bean bags, etc. It won't matter much for a 400mm lens, but, unlike Conrad Tan, I would have problems hand-holding a 600mm f/4 lens for a long time if I could only brace against a vertical post, especially for shooting out the side of the vehicle, where the first two vehicles pictured did not not have much clearance between the level of the seat and the top of the armrest. (The others looked ok.)---John

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

I wasn't trying to argue with you John, I was only passing on what I actually did when Eric and I were in Botswana. We were offered been bags there, I think Eric may have used one of those now and again. For the most part I either hand held or braced on the body of the wide open vehicle near the floor boards as I lied down. I hand hold an 800 5.6 all the time when shooting from a kayak and more often than not when walking around with it. That may give me an advantage hand holding the 500. As a matter of fact Eric and I discussed just that one day while there. Follow your priorities, you set them well.

Tim

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Just to keep the preparation part going...
Went to TZ in Range Rovers with pop-tops. Windows slide open, but not the easiest for lower level shooting. Sill, open window + beanbag worked well.
With the pop-top, protected from the elements, shooting almost 360 degrees (a bit hard to shoot straight back), plenty of bracing points with or without beanbags.
I went pricey: 3 photographers/verhicle + one driver/guide = one row each. Standard for this company was max 5/vehicle, guaranteed window seat. All of which could work with the pop tops and taking turns for ideal positions, when needed.
I kept one body in my lap, one braced on the seat next to me. One thing not anticipated. For those of us vertically challenged, as I was, had to stand on the seats to position well out of the poptop.And that meant taking off shoes, but no biggy.

Scott

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:59 AM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Have now been 3 times and 9 camps, 3 days each. I went with my wife so we sat beside each other. With only two in the row it is easy to lean across your partner who understands the need. I find other people in the other rows not to be a problem unless they want to talk and tell me all about what I know already. About half our game drives were just by ourselves, you get to know your guide pretty well under these circumstances. If you do get good folks with you this can also be good, make new friends and share experiences.
Safaris are about enjoying yourself, obsessing over photos can be taken too far.
I've always hand held, bumped up the ISO and braced off what ever is available and always used IS. Whenever possible used shutter speeds of 1/1000th, less only when absolutely necessary. We generally stay in the up market tented camps.
Getting "the shot" is pure luck. you have to be there, in the right light, at the right time. Getting up early, staying out late, are all part of increasing your chance of "being there".

Dec 11, 2013 at 07:34 AM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

jdc562: I had been led to believe that these photo vehicles all had various horizontal bars (sills, arm rests, etc.), to use for bean bags. I would have problems hand-holding a 600mm f/4 lens for a long time

I think Tim’s idea of elbow and body bracing works fine for short (200-300mm) lenses in bright (dry season) light.

But I have encountered situations where it is not effective. For example, holding a 500mm or 600mm f4 lens on a fish eagle in a tree, waiting for it to fly. You know it is going to launch out of the tree, but you don’t know when, and you need to be ready and framed on it every second.

My best picture of my recent trip was a 25 minute wait for a leopard in a tree. I kept my 500 f4 on my support system the full time, waiting for him to change expressions or move his eyes around. I could frame him, lock the ball head down and remove both hands if I wanted to. I couldn’t possibly hand hold the 500 on him for 25 continuous minutes. I have a 24” wide picture of him, and you can easily see the individual hairs of his spotted coat.

I plan to go back to Africa, next time possibly in the beginning of the wet season. I love the green backgrounds that time of year. I also love the soft quality of that light, vs harsh contrasty dry season light.

You can easily loose 3 stops of light on an overcast day, but there is another effect that I think very few people realize. The reflectivity of green foliage is about 1.5 stops less than the typical yellow brown foliage of the dry season. So when you give up 4.5 stops of light, you start very seriously thinking about how you are going to steady your longer lenses at that reduced level of light.

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:28 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Botswana #6 - photographers and their gear

Great info Don. If I ever win the lottery, I will have to review this post ~ Ron

Dec 12, 2013 at 07:04 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.