Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sea, sky, driftwood.

superduckz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sea, sky, driftwood.

Took this about a year ago and knew I had "something" but didn't have the skills to to bring out what I "saw". Tripped over the raw file the other day and gave it another go. Yeah it's more "worked on" than I usually prefer but it does capture the emotional impact of the scene. Anyway.. I'm happy with it...shrug..

Dec 09, 2013 at 09:00 PM
96Brigadier

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sea, sky, driftwood.

I like the colors and blurred water, assume you were using a longer exposure.

The driftwood feels a bit too centered, I keep holding a piece of paper over the left and right to move it. I think I like it more with the left side of the image cropped out, even to the point of taking all of the land on the left horizon out. When I hold paper over the left side and cover the land up it really focuses me on the driftwood.

Dec 09, 2013 at 10:43 PM
superduckz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sea, sky, driftwood.

Thanks 96. I have to respectfully disagree. This is exactly where I wanted to go. One of the things I really wanted to get across was the isolation of the tree in the waterline. I also have a "thing" for more square cropped images and too much of a shift would have diminished that. In reality I think mirroring would have helped framing quite a bit by pushing the land and the eye to the right and causing the upper branches to point to the upper right. But this is how I "saw" it so I'm letting it ride. Of course I respect different tastes and you're probably technically correct on the framing but it floats my boat. shrug..

And yes it was a 30 second exposure with a 9 stop ND filter.

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:47 AM
96Brigadier

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sea, sky, driftwood.

One of the things I like about photography is different people will see the same image differently. I love the differing opinions, helps me to be a better photographer. I certainly understand why you chose to frame this image the way you did.

Dec 10, 2013 at 09:12 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.