New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Black Rapid RS7 with battery grip

Bill Ley
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Black Rapid RS7 with battery grip

I've been looking for a new strap to replace the stock strap of my 5D-MII and I kind of like the idea of the Black Rapid but I was worried about the thread strength of the battery grip. I'm using the Zeikos ZE-CBG and not the "official" Canon grip. I guess I'm just a little worried about dangling anywhere from $3000 to $5000 of gear from that one little point on the bottom of the camera. The strap and accessories are a bit expensive, but not so much when compared to the price of the gear they protect

Another thing is I use a tripod on occasion, so would I use something like a Quick Release Plate along with a Quick Release Clamp

Dec 09, 2013 at 01:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Black Rapid RS7 with battery grip

to start off i don't use the BR swinging camera strap. i did when it first came out but after a short time found i didn't like the sliding assy idea (too much potential for failure and it has been demonstrated and now many users have additional "safety leashes" (as i did too). if left on its own it tended to move around too much.

i did end up doing a variation that was much more to my liking and could easily snug up as i wanted and prevented uncommanded inertia based camera movement and still delivered relatively quick access for shooting.

1- i found a strap i did like that was made from pretty good materials that is NOT polypropylene based. one that could be loosened and snugged up at a moments notice w/o removing made from so serious material. it maintains very good control of your setup compared to the BR.

2- found a simple base/connector assembly that allows freedom of rotation for whatever i'm hanging off it and was almost impossible to deform or break. it also needed to be secure to my satisfaction and able to be installed/removed from the camera with relative ease that did not require multiple parts that can take high wear. in addition it has a built in flip up gloves on setup for attach removal.

unfortunately no one product is available that does all this though one come comes fairly close.

this is what i use:
part 1- is a Cinch Strap assy W/O their rather poor connector option
part 2- is a Custom SLR C Loop connector which is a good strong simple design that is secure when in place.

this setup allows one to go to just about any 1/4-20 threaded hole and attach to it and remove it in seconds SIMPLY. this makes it relatively camera or attachment system agnostic. no additional clamps, no safety leashes no separate parts to loose. no thread backing out. easy on easy off. it fits all 1/4-20 threaded camera bases and of one has an AS based plate with thread right into the ones (which are most of the quality made units) that do.

as to your particular 2nd source grip i cannot remark on its build quality. but i have used it on a D700 w/original Nikon grip setup w/o a second thought. it gets regular use on my D4 and then on my D4/70-200 2.8 setup from the lens for attach point.

parts sourcing:
Cinch Strap: http://www.luma-labs.com/pages/cinch (do not waste money on the plate i have 2 that sit on my desk)

CLoop: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801603-REG/Custom_SLR_CL01S_C_Loop_Camera_Strap_Mount.html ( i suggest the clear anodized one over the black as the black anodized one tends to squeak)

in the end it is a simpler more secure "1 assembled part" setup and pretty comfortable at least for me.

© sjms 2013

on a D610 w/24-120/4 threaded into a Kirk L plate

© sjms 2013

Edited on Dec 11, 2013 at 06:10 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2013 at 08:47 AM
Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Black Rapid RS7 with battery grip

I would worry more about the screw between the grip and the camera as opposed to the one on the bottom of the grip(unless that is the single point of failure you reference). There have been previous posts about a secondary QR strap to help prevent disasters.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.