New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

Silversurfer_C

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

Hi all,

I am new to Sony as I just converted from Canon 5DIII and a bunch of lenses.

I seem to have a problem finding the file ID on the camera's screen. I can only see stuff like 256/278 for the folder of the day so when it comes time to reviewing the photos from a shoot where I went by the screen numbering, I got totally lost. Am I missing something here?

I love the a7r and some of the way cool things it does, but this is a real turn-off. Is there a way? The Canon always displayed the file name when reviewing on the screen. I've changed the file numbering/naming to "reset" in hopes that this helps. I also wonder if I should turn off folders?

Thank you for all your help.

Pierre (Toronto)

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:56 PM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

Menu --> Playback tab --> View Mode --> choose Folder View

Dec 09, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Silversurfer_C

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

sxgva wrote:
Menu --> Playback tab --> View Mode --> choose Folder View

Thank sxgva, but this was not what I had in mind, unless I have missed your information.

Compared to the NEX-6

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:56 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

File ID is at the top, the 109-0001 number on the A7 and the 107-0271 on the NEX-6. In both cases the first three digits are the folder number and the last 4 are the last 4 of the file name.

The 134/134 is current/total images in order, so you know where you are in the images on the card.

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:59 PM
Silversurfer_C

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

Mawz, I can't believe what a moron I am

For whatever reason, I was not seeing this before. I reformatted the card and reset the folder creation setting and voila! there it is. I guess there none so blind as those who refuse to see (not good for photography)

As a side note, I am quite disappointed with the vignetting on the 50/1.8 Alpha FF lens. May have return it and upgrade. On the other hand, I am blown away by my Sigma 35/1.4 ART series lens.

mawz wrote:
File ID is at the top, the 109-0001 number on the A7 and the 107-0271 on the NEX-6. In both cases the first three digits are the folder number and the last 4 are the last 4 of the file name.

The 134/134 is current/total images in order, so you know where you are in the images on the card.

Dec 09, 2013 at 06:12 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

Silversurfer_C wrote:
Mawz, I can't believe what a moron I am

For whatever reason, I was not seeing this before. I reformatted the card and reset the folder creation setting and voila! there it is. I guess there none so blind as those who refuse to see (not good for photography)

As a side note, I am quite disappointed with the vignetting on the 50/1.8 Alpha FF lens. May have return it and upgrade. On the other hand, I am blown away by my Sigma 35/1.4 ART series lens.

I'm not surprised you're disappointed by the vignetting on the DT 50/1.8 SAM, it's an APS-C lens ;-)

Neither of the 50/1.8's from Sony are full-frame. The lens you want to track down is the older Minolta 50/1.7, which can be had for $100 or so and is an FF lens, albeit you'll need an LA-EA4 for AF, unlike the SAM lens. Sadly the only FF lens in the Easy Choice line of plastic fantastics is the 85/2.8 SAM (which is well worth buying, it's also optically the best, a fairly high bar as the DT 35/1.8 SAM is also excellent)

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Silversurfer_C

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

mawz wrote:
I'm not surprised you're disappointed by the vignetting on the DT 50/1.8 SAM, it's an APS-C lens ;-)

Neither of the 50/1.8's from Sony are full-frame. The lens you want to track down is the older Minolta 50/1.7, which can be had for $100 or so and is an FF lens, albeit you'll need an LA-EA4 for AF, unlike the SAM lens. Sadly the only FF lens in the Easy Choice line of plastic fantastics is the 85/2.8 SAM (which is well worth buying, it's also optically the best, a fairly high bar as the DT 35/1.8 SAM is also
...Show more

AGREED! The plastic fantastic is going back this weekend. A very dark lens.

Found several Minolta/Sony 50/1.7's on my local Kijiji. And yes, I have the LAEA4 which is a MUST for my Sigma 35/1.4 ART lens. Brings about so much more flex to the configurations of the body.

MAWZ, you've been a great source! Thanks amigo.

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:41 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

AGREED! The plastic fantastic is going back this weekend. A very dark lens.

Found several Minolta/Sony 50/1.7's on my local Kijiji. And yes, I have the LAEA4 which is a MUST for my Sigma 35/1.4 ART lens. Brings about so much more flex to the configurations of the body.

MAWZ, you've been a great source! Thanks amigo.

I feel your pain on the 50/1.8, I quite liked the rendering (although I found it a bit soft), and if it had been FF I would have kept it a lot longer.

Note skip the Sony/Minolta 1.4's if you look at upgrading, the only options better than the Minolta 1.7 are the Sigma or the ZA (and of course the just becoming available ZA FE 55/1.8, which looks to be the best normal in either Sony mount).

And I'm always glad to help out.

Dec 09, 2013 at 09:37 PM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony a7r and file number/name display on the screen

Glad you found it. I was looking for the same thing also and it took me a few moments to find out.

I'm really annoyed by that NFC icon on the screen. Is there any way NOT to show that icon, but keep the others?

Dec 09, 2013 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.