New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · RX1r used for 50 mm and 75 mm shots

Frank-Starling
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RX1r used for 50 mm and 75 mm shots

Hi

A year ago I have sold most of my Nikon gear to invest in a Leica M9P, a 35 mm summilux FLE, a 50 mm summilux and a 90 mm summicron preASPH (a dream since childhood...).

I kept my Nikon D700 and 50/1.4AFS + 85/1.8AFS for low light shots and autofocus.

I mostly do family shots, portarits and some landscape.

Since I have the Leica with me, my wife uses the Nikon since it is faster and easier in use. She has a good eye but she tends to leave the Nikon at home for its weight (no complains about its IQ).

I thought it would be great to have something lighter and smaller but with equal IQ for her and also to complent the Leica, especially for low light and autofocus (not really action, but for non-posed portraits). That way I am sure the picture will not be lost.

I was waiting for the sony alpha A7R but although IQ is really nice, I am a little bit disappointed because of
- smallest lens 35 mm is only F/2.8 so I loose a bit the DOF benefit of full frame
- loud shutter and maybe shutter vibration limiting handholdability
- probably mixed results and post processing demands with summilux 35FLE and summilux50

So I am reconsidering the RX1R which I first set aside because of only 35 mm lens (I love also 50 mm) and no build in viewfinder. That body is already more pocketable and with a case with build in grip, grip is - I guess - OK.

But I wonder if it is widely usable as a Nikon D700 replacement. for the uses I had with it.
My most important question is, how it is possible to shoot in the cropped modes (50 and 75 mm). Is it possible to shoot 50 mm in JPEG and have the 35 mm non cropped RAW aside (JPEG+RAW). And the same for 75 mm. Ok that way I will loose some megapixels and dept of field stayes the one I get with 35mm lens, but It will still be big enough to enlarge to A3.
Another question relates to autofocus. I rarely need fast autofocus, but is it enough let say for a non posed portrait. What about a walking/running kid?

I do not recall any other body with similar IQ that is as small. Sigma's are great but high ISO, vieuwfinder and responsiveness is issue for me. The fuji's and Olympus EM-1 are not in the same league IQ-wise I think. The small Leica's are also not full frame. X2 seemes nice but no crop modes and viewfinder is not that great, the vario has a too slow lens to me. The Canon 6D as the smallest FF DSLR, I like a lot but is still too big for my wife (even with the pancake).

Thanks for the feedback

Peter

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:59 AM
autotea

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RX1r used for 50 mm and 75 mm shots

Why not get A7 then? the drawbacks are not as apparent in A7 as A7r. You can also buy an adapter for nikon lens that you already have? Unless the AF is must then you can get contax g adapter on it too

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Frank-Starling
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RX1r used for 50 mm and 75 mm shots

I do not see my wife doing manual focussing my Nikon lenses on the sony. I would like to use my Leica RF lenses on the sony but that is not the main reason for the sony (therefore I prefer my Leica body).
The main reason is to have the same excellent (full frame) IQ in a small body for my wife to have it with her in stead of at home.
So back on the question of the 50/75 mm crop modes: usable? possible to combine with non-cropped RAW.

Dec 10, 2013 at 02:07 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RX1r used for 50 mm and 75 mm shots

Frank-Starling wrote:
My most important question is, how it is possible to shoot in the cropped modes (50 and 75 mm). Is it possible to shoot 50 mm in JPEG and have the 35 mm non cropped RAW aside (JPEG+RAW). And the same for 75 mm. Ok that way I will loose some megapixels and dept of field stayes the one I get with 35mm lens, but It will still be big enough to enlarge to A3.

nope, cropped modes only work for jpeg only. the camera won't let you use them in raw or raw+jpeg. sony love to do stupid stuff like that with different modes. if you want raw the best you can do is shoot with grid lines to give you an idea of what the final image will look like cropped.

Frank-Starling wrote:
Another question relates to autofocus. I rarely need fast autofocus, but is it enough let say for a non posed portrait. What about a walking/running kid?

Thanks for the feedback

Peter

no chance at all for a walking running kid unless you prefocus on a spot and wait for them to run through it. it's ok for adults that are standing mostly in one place. face detect AF is convenient when you have a tough angle and can't easily look at the evf/lcd, but don't expect it always nail the correct eye or even the eye instead of the nose.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.