FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

I had too many papers to grade to get out yesterday (-11 F / -24 C) but managed to clear the plate a bit to do some winter photography this morning. It was snowing, so it was a bit warmer (1 deg F / -17 deg C), and the swans a relatively active, though nobody was flying about. After a hike into the site and three hours of intermittent shooting, my fingers and toes were done and staged a rebellion

Anyway, here are a few from a pretty cold (but not as cold as Scott's -37 degree C) day.
regards,
bruce

© BTLeventhal 2013

© BTLeventhal 2013

© BTLeventhal 2013

© BTLeventhal 2013

Dec 08, 2013 at 09:53 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

As a lifelong Southern California guy, I can't even imagine what 1 degree F feels like... nor do I want to.
My hats off to you Bruce.

Lovely, peaceful looking set... the Swans look beautiful, and I like your composition in #4.

Kirk

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:07 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

Very nice work Bruce. The last two are especially good, with #4 being the one I'd single out for my vote as favorite. Well captured and worth the effort.

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:14 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

I'm impressed that anyone would choose to go out in such cold temps. Super poses and exposures.mim just as impressed that you can even push the shutter button at 1F.
Eric

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:17 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

1, 3 and 4 are stunning Bruce

Morris

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

Beautiful set and I agree with Morris in the selection.

Marcelo

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:31 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

Very nice. I counted 30 there on Saturday when it was sunny and -5

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:47 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

great job on the swans Bruce

Dec 09, 2013 at 03:48 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

Sometimes it just feels good to get out there Bruce even if it is for a shorter time. I was out yesterday and while it was not AS cold as it was for you I spent a lot of time walking on frozen SALT water You had better luck with the birds than I did! The first is a marvelous shot, I just love it. I was wondering about the comp in the last, is there space to try a different comp? Such as with the negative space in front, on the left of, the birds? I don't know what is in the frame there but I'm thinking that comp might be stronger and make for a superb photo

Tim

Dec 09, 2013 at 09:30 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

Never have I experienced those temperatures , not sure I want to
I am grateful you braved the elements and shared this wonderful set. I love the last 3 shots .

Birdie

Dec 09, 2013 at 11:04 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

Thanks to all who commented. Shooting in frigid conditions seems to be a real mental and physical challenge. The longer you wait the more you have to convince yourself that the effort is worth the experience.

@ mikedec, I counted 46 swans, one with a WI neck band and a few juvies in the mix. There were at least 80 mallards, and signs of an otter but little else (including people).

@ Tim Kuhn, thanks for the both the comments and critique. I was laying prone on the ice to make this shot. It's a little unnerving to feel the water move below your body. What's worse is hearing the ice heave about as you wonder when you're going to fall in. As for the composition, I took quite a few and will add an alternated form to the thread a bit later.

thanks again to all who gave the pics a quick look.
regards,
bruce

Dec 09, 2013 at 04:06 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

OwlsEyes wrote:
@ mikedec, I counted 46 swans, one with a WI neck band and a few juvies in the mix. There were at least 80 mallards, and signs of an otter but little else (including people).

Bruce, If you are talking about Y87, the yellow neck band. That Swan was there last year as well. Regards, Mike

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:21 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trumpeter Swans on a Cold MN morning

Nicely done Bruce. It's 3 for me ~ Ron

Dec 10, 2013 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.